SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im turning the big 50 next week and i regret not having a picture to create a car tree of every vehicle i have bought throughout the years. Bought my first car in 89 and it was a 87 VW Jetta GLI 16V (the factory recaros were incredible). I would suggest creating a tree of all the cars you bought then sold or traded in for another. Its a great trip down memory lane. My wife suggested we should take a family picture with the 4 cars. She said i should post it on the forum. This is the only forum ive been active on and realized hardly nobody every posts a picture with themselves in it. Is that a no no ? Maybe we are all in the Volvo witness protection program and cannot reveal our identity. Maybe im showing my age but i like to put faces to names.

·
Registered
514 Posts
So im turning the big 50 next week and i regret not having a picture to create a car tree of every vehicle i have bought throughout the years. Bought my first car in 89 and it was a 87 VW Jetta GLI 16V (the factory recaros were incredible). I would suggest creating a tree of all the cars you bought then sold or traded in for another. Its a great trip down memory lane. My wife suggested we should take a family picture with the 4 cars. She said i should post it on the forum. This is the only forum ive been active on and realized hardly nobody every posts a picture with themselves in it. Is that a no no ? Maybe we are all in the Volvo witness protection program and cannot reveal our identity. Maybe im showing my age but i like to put faces to names.
I think I speak for everyone here when I say that, by rule, Volvo owners are exceptionally good looking people. It's likely that our car hobby allows us a respite, if only brief, from the relentless onslaught of the paparazzi. We refrain from depicting ourselves with our cars to honor that cars have beauty, too... just not as good as us.

I kid, I kid. I honestly don't have a picture of myself with any of my Volvos outside of some rolling shots taken by friends or the occasional picture from a car meet where I've been photographed randomly waking by my own car.

I love the car-tree concept and I think it's a great idea for a thread. Happy 50th man, that's a milestone!

·
Registered
14,155 Posts
Wow, A Jetta GLI was a really nice car back in the day. I find myself test driving GTI's from time to time - a car I never got, just to cruise around in those cool plaid cloth seats.

The first car I bought with my own money was a rusty '76 Alfa Alfetta GT though I am a few years older than you. I also wish I had kept pictures of the cars. Happy Birthday!

·
Registered
17,167 Posts
There are pictures of me with my T-5R and my red R but none of the others. Only one was ever staged, with my T-5R. I'm always the one with the camera so I'd have to use a tripod lol.

Hope you have a great 50th!

·
Registered
17,823 Posts

Caught in action removing a 960 intake manifold intermediate piece.

I think the lack of pics of anyone working is because we either all go nuts on the project together and there are zero pics OR its a solo gig and this aint exactly the selfie taking mechanically minded crew.

·
Registered
1998 V70 T5 with factory m56h; 18t, Green injectors, 50% e85
2,459 Posts
. . . and dirty/greasy hands and cameras don't play well together.

·
Registered
17,610 Posts
I'll be 53 in a few months. Happy early birthday! Some have an issue with turning 50. I didn't.
I've had far fewer cars than most but if I add the ones my wife and I have had together it's a bit longer.
It's a varied list and do have pics. I'd have to scan some. They're around but I have em of every car.
74 Vega. White and Black Muncie 4 speed. I scoured the yard for gt wheels and painted them white. A mini z28 that overheated.
74 Vega. Blue and black Muncie 4 speed. I threw the gt wheels on it and added gt emblems and had the stripes painted on.
NEW car time. Wanted a Volvo 240 turbo but my dad worked at a Chevy Dealer when I was shopping and I got a good deal.
86 z28 IROC 305 TPI Auto. Red and grey. I loved this car and it started the red and Z thing. I traded it after about 30k because I was afraid to take it anywhere. It was wicked quick off the line with the gearing and cornered like it was on rails.
88 Toyota 4x4 v6 pickup. Grey and grey 5 spd. I LOVED this car and drove it from 13 miles to 220k plus. It never broke down. It never got stuck in snow. Never. Two sets of brakes and three sets of tires. Original clutch but three exhausts. I traded it for a wagon when we got married and were expecting our first kid a few years later.
In between entry is an 85 Honda Accord sei. 5 spd. The single model color: brown and tan. Loaded and I paid 15 Benjamin's cash. It was clean and we used it to bring my daughter home from being born.
A 96 Jetta white and grey Auto. My wife's choice. It was ok, and we traded it back when we got the free and clear SEI. Stay at home mom and couldn't justify that car payment on one salary.
My first wagon love: a wicked clean 93 Accord EX Auto. I got tons of compliments on it and people asking more about it when I was selling because it was the last year of that model. We kept it when the Jetta was traded back.
First Volvo was a 99 na Auto in tropic green/blue with oak. Bought it because I'd always wanted one but at night and never checked the carfax. It had been repaired poorly and began to fade in the first two years. I had it probably nine years. It was a good car but I got a raise and decided to trade it on the s60 we have today.
We still had at that time, the 98 CRV. Green and grey 5 speed EX AWD. This was a great car. Kept it maybe 13 years.
05 s60 2.5t AWD. Silver and tan. Still have it.
02 v70xc. Silver and off black. Still have it and adding pegs tomorrow.
07 V70r. I bought this for my 50th and started a ZZZZZZZ thread!
You wanted them. This is me. Where is yours?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate everyone that has chimed in and posted pic's. Wife and I picture attached. We will still post a family pic with all 4 cars once the weather turns better here in Utah. Might be awhile because im probably flying out to Chicago next week to help my mom pack up her house before she moves to a more Senior friendly house in Nashville. Hey ChicagoWagon i will probably hit you up for a meet and greet while im in town.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
My family has owned Volvos in one way or another for the better part of my life.

Our first was a new 2000 V40, which saved my mom from a drunk hit and run. RIP, wherever it is.

Second came our new 2001 V70 N/A, which wasn't quick but was nicely optioned. That was our family wagon, and outlived our Ford Windstar by a healthy margin. It was later traded in for our...

Third Volvo, a 2006 XC90 V8. I remember the day we test drove it used from a local Audi dealer, my brother and I were so stoked it had the optional DVD system. It has 168,000 miles, and while it's been neglected recently, we are going to put some more money into it.

This car is so special to us, as it's where I did a majority of my road trips with my dad which I'll always cherish. Here it is with my dad on top of a mountain in Colorado during a volunteer trip.

We had a 1998 C70, but the interior was so ruined by being parked under a tree. We later got rid of it for our current C70, which we've had since 2014.

After I graduated high school, due to my long drives to school and decent grades, my dad helped me pick out my current daily driver, my 850 N/A. Here's me with it right after I brought it home. My haircut sucked in this photo, lol.

It has it's own thread, so I won't go on about it, but it's the reason I'm here and why I made my latest purchase...

My 850 R. This has been one of my dream cars for a while, so when the opportunity came up I jumped at it.

Neither of the cars above would be here if not for the support (sometimes monetarily, college sucks) from my dad. He is who got me into Volvos and cars as a whole, and he was who has helped me to be the twenty-one year old guy I am today. I'll never forget his patience and trust in me and I'll hopefully have a son of my own to watch repair his own cars.

·
Registered
17,610 Posts
LOL - did you SEE mine?!?
Nice shoes, though!
My haircut sucked in this photo, lol.
Hopefully we can keep it up. This is fun. Would love to meet Derek myself, and Chi-town is a great town. So is Nashville!!
I appreciate everyone that has chimed in and posted pic's. Wife and I picture attached. We will still post a family pic with all 4 cars once the weather turns better here in Utah. Might be awhile because im probably flying out to Chicago next week to help my mom pack up her house before she moves to a more Senior friendly house in Nashville. Hey ChicagoWagon i will probably hit you up for a meet and greet while im in town.

·
Registered
163 Posts
LOL - did you SEE mine?!?
Nice shoes, though!

Hopefully we can keep it up. This is fun. Would love to meet Derek myself, and Chi-town is a great town. So is Nashville!!
I really enjoyed Chicago, I used to live on the West Side. Worked on the North Side. I think I would rather like Nashville. Destinations, right? :)

Happy 50th Birthday, UT OLI!!!!! :D :rave:

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
LOL - did you SEE mine?!? Nice shoes, though!
Haha, I got different pairs for different days. Still got the blue ones!

·
Registered
17,167 Posts

·
Registered
17,167 Posts
Ding, ding! I might even wear 'em tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow! Those are in better shape than most of the shoes I wear are after a year. Do you never wear those or have shoes actually gotten that much worse in the last 25 years?

·
Registered
17,610 Posts
They're actually dirty to me. Worn but not filthy. I tend to have stuff for a long time so I better like it. These have been worn plenty but I rotate shoes often. The latest 2.5 year old shoes are the blue suede and canvas high top vans. I wore them one day to work and my boss said, "Nice new shoes" to which I replied NOT new- 2 years old. He said, "that's insane!!" I'm on the hunt for a pair that is mid ground like casual and sporty, all weather (other than snow). Might do Nike, maybe Vans. Not sure yet.
I rarely wear things that can get destroyed in rain or mud. Tomorrow rain but it won't be too bad. I've got five pairs of shoes from dressy to casual I typically wear during the week and then five I wear on weekends that are all white red or blue. Then running, then lawn and yard and few others, not including boots. It's out of control really. Good thing I don't have driving shoes.
Wow! Those are in better shape than most of the shoes I wear are after a year. Do you never wear those or have shoes actually gotten that much worse in the last 25 years?

·
Registered
17,167 Posts
They're actually dirty to me. Worn but not filthy. I tend to have stuff for a long time so I better like it. These have been worn plenty but I rotate shoes often. The latest 2.5 year old shoes are the blue suede and canvas high top vans. I wore them one day to work and my boss said, "Nice new shoes" to which I replied NOT new- 2 years old. He said, "that's insane!!" I'm on the hunt for a pair that is mid ground like casual and sporty, all weather (other than snow). Might do Nike, maybe Vans. Not sure yet.
I rarely wear things that can get destroyed in rain or mud. Tomorrow rain but it won't be too bad. I've got five pairs of shoes from dressy to casual I typically wear during the week and then five I wear on weekends that are all white red or blue. Then running, then lawn and yard and few others, not including boots. It's out of control really. Good thing I don't have driving shoes.
Wow, that's an impressive collection. I tend to daily one pair of whatever I have on hand at a given time and have one pair for dirty work. And slippers.

I like to keep my stuff as long as possible, too, but shoes tend to go pretty fast for me. I walk about 4 miles/day on my commute. Got the bike going today for the fist time this year but it didn't seem like it actually saved any time so I may keep putting miles on my shoes till it gets warm enough to not need hats/gloves for biking.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I can't believe I haven't found this thread earlier! I've been learning a lot about reflection and learning from everything around you so this is my JAM! I also don't take pictures of me and my cars, but I scrounged around for a couple, one with the old 245 I drove in high school and one with my current V70. But my dad got me into Volvos just like CYB3RBYTE. Been handing my dad tools for as long as I can remember, then one day we switched jobs and it was totally natural, which I am incredibly thankful for.

But here is my and Deloris, my first Volvo love

And a picture my dad took of me the day I drove her home, Rita, my third Volvo love

·
Registered
698 Posts
im probably flying out to Chicago next week to help my mom pack up her house before she moves to a more Senior friendly house in Nashville. Hey ChicagoWagon i will probably hit you up for a meet and greet while im in town.
There is a EnVolved Midwest Volvo Group meetup on April 28th if you happen to push back your visit to Chicago, it'll be a big turnout too, I won't be in attendance though unfortunately.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts