SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My V8 supposedly has it. I've never seen it move automatically but after loading it up or when towing it appears to be level after driving and nobody flashes their lights any more like they used to when I towed with my old suzuki. Does anyone know how it works or know how to test it ? Does it use hydraulics? air? Inquiring mind(s) need to know. <br>

·
Registered
785 Posts
Re: Self Leveling Rear Suspension (cdnx90)

The trade name is Nivomat, made by Bilstein. Special shock aborbers with matched springs. When initially loaded, the car will drop. As you drive, suspension movement causes the Nivomats to lift the car to the correct level and maintain it there. Very nice system in that it is self contained with no separate pumps, reservoirs, etc. Only real downside is replacement cost compared to standard rear shocks.

·
Registered
270 Posts
drove 3 co-workers to lunch. 2 of them were 6'4" +300 lbs. the other one weighed 170 lbs. The two 300-lb guys sit on the right side of the car. on a normal car, the car tilts to the right and causes steering to pull to the right. with self-leveling suspension on XC, no tilt or leaning and no pulling to the right on the steering.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Re: (crash)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>crash</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">drove 3 co-workers to lunch. 2 of them were 6'4" +300 lbs. the other one weighed 170 lbs. The two 300-lb guys sit on the right side of the car. on a normal car, the car tilts to the right and causes steering to pull to the right. with self-leveling suspension on XC, no tilt or leaning and no pulling to the right on the steering.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Here is without any live "sweat hogs" inside the vehicle:<p>I have a MY01 V70 T5 that has Volvo's roadholding and lowered kit (see signature) where the rear shocks have been replaced with the Nivomats that come with this kit. Went to Home Depot and bought 25 50-lbs. bags of mulch and/or top soil.<p>Folded the rear seats, bags were almost half way up toward the roof liner. Once I was done loading, I came back to the car (after I put away the carts) and the looks of the car scared the heck out of me...looked like a knock-kneed person with a small part of the 17" rear tires slightly under the rear fenders. I was not sure if I would be able to make the 4-mile trip home but I thought I would give it a try on the lot before I got on the highway. Guess what....drove about 200+ yds, stopped the car and got out to inspect; car was just about leveled with barely a hint of the extra load it was carrying. Smiled and drove home!<p>

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Now that I know the name, I searched and found this. Interesting how it does it without the need for an external pump of some kind. <br><A HREF="http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/pdf/nivomat.pdf" TARGET="_blank">http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq...t.pdf</A>

·
Banned
3,169 Posts
Re: (cdnx90)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>cdnx90</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks guys. Now that I know the name, I searched and found this. Interesting how it does it without the need for an external pump of some kind. </TD></TR></TABLE><p>Pretty simple really.<p>Nivomats contain pressure sensitive one-way valves that activate at the top and bottom range of the shock stroke.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts