SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:ApplyBreakingRules/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:UseFELayout/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> A painful lesson learned, though embarrassing, IMHO still needs to be shared. If I did this someone else could also. By installing my MSD 6A in the depicted location, I managed to put a screw right into my AC Evaporator! Those not familiar with the replacement ramifications, it entails the removal of the entire dash to perform the repair. :facepalm:

<!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]-->

·
Registered
2,486 Posts

Thanks for sharing though, hopefully it saves someone a similar fate someday.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Those are one of those EFFFF moments. Thanks for sharing, it is good to remember it doesn't happen to just us! lol

·
Registered
319 Posts
I took the original water pump off of my 855 this past weekend with a 1/4" socket driver, thinking to myself, "huh, these bolts aren't that tight!" Then, after running some errands, came back to put the new one on with a 3/8" socket driver and broke two bolts. Just wasn't paying attention. One broke while tightening, the other while removing to start over.

And oh! From your picture it looks like you're missing a nut on your right strut tower?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Your NEW evap or your old evap?

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Sure hope it wasn't the new one! How long were the screws?? I've done the job twice and I don't remember the HVAC box being that close to the upper cowl.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was on the old Evap, I don't do well with plastic, nor did the job look like a pleasurable one, so I'm picking it up from the dealer tomorrow. I go back quite a ways with the tech that's doing the job, so I'm sure I'll get an ear full when I pick it up. I was told by the service writer that he was going to cut if off to avoid further issues. I can't remember how long of a screw I used, as I know in one location I had to use a stand off because the mounting surface isn't complainer. I didn't even give the evaporator a thought, nor did I put two and two together that I caused it. It was original with 382,000 miles on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts