SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, guys. god dag stötarna . I just picked up a 2002 S60 AWD, It has 182K highway commuter miles on it. I would have to say the car was babied in it’s early life and probably never had the go pedal mashed down the way I do from time to time . anyway I took a good parkway trip in it right away and was pleasantly surprised for a small engine and with turbo how there was no turbo lag. The car is very responsive off the lights , but I was quite disappointed in the high speed passing power of it. I just have to assume from what I already know about turbos( I have quite few Cummins trucks) that the turbo must be small because of the responsiveness of it . I still THINK I should feel a lot more when I kick it from 50 MPH. ..With the mileage that’s on the car , are the turbos known to loose boost due to clearances.?? I replaced the air filter and the timing belt was done at 110K miles. I know if I installed a boost gauge I would be able to tell a lot more, but I see the car was UN-equipped with most gauges or a clean place to put them, short of a pillar pod. . Lol . just curious of everyone’s take on this.
I’ll be here a while because I have a few more questions about other quirks. I know it's a small 5 cyl and it's fairly heavy, but i just want some opinions(for once- lol) Thanx. Crossy

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
In it's stock form the 2.4T or 2.5T low pressure turbocharged engines don't have very good passing power past 45mph or so. I don't think anything is necessarily wrong with your car, but think about this: my R (with all the modifications listed in my signature) and my friend's lightly modified S80 2.5T (cone filter, OBX downpipe) are dead even to 45mph, the low end torque of the low pressure turbocharged 5 cylinder is enough to give you a boost off the line, but the power really starts to drop past 5000rpm or so, which becomes very apparent the faster you get going.

I used to have a 2008 2.5T, and when passing cars on the highway I would find myself flooring it to get by. Several things can fix this, a tune will give you more power, combine that with full exhaust and a low restriction intake system and you'll have plenty of passing power. Some people even go so far as to swap in turbochargers from 2001-2003 S60 T5's (Mitsubishi TD04HL-16T), which barely harms low end torque and gives you huge gains in top end power.

If it's something you can't live with then start investing in some modifications!

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Crossy,

Welcome to the forums. Good to hear you're enjoying the car so far.

Regarding your experience with lacking highway passing power, this sounds likely to be from a few basic maintenance items.

If you have any additional maintenance records, check into those and report back before you do anything.

These turbo's are quite small (TD04 13G/14T) and only support about 8-9 psi in stock form/tune. There are several things you could look into, but first I would suggest getting a boost gauge so you can start on the right foot and see if you are producing factory boost levels consistently. There are a few options available for mounting gauges (let me know if you have any questions about air vent gauge pods).

Common items to be replaced (if you are indeed making sub-par boost pressure) are the Turbo Control Valve (TCV), Compressor Bypass Valve (CBV), clean MAF, air filter, and check intercooler connections and couplers/pipes for loose connections/cracks/tears. OEM parts are usually the best/reliable way to go, however, there are several options out there for aftermarket HD components. Being at 182K, it could just be that the turbo needs a rebuild, but I would check into the things I listed above first. Also, may I suggest that you look into getting the timing belt done again, not necessarily critical, but at 182K your right around the time interval for the 2nd belt replacement.

It could be also, that you're just used to the massive torque curve of the turbo diesel's :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
both of you answered my questions to the tune that i was right. it's just a small turbo and the car has low gearing in the trans to get it moving, but it's no stormer on the top or over 45 MPH. I did check all the boots and piping and such before putting it back on the road. The car was sidelined for 6 months while I rebuilt the whole front suspension and braking. I MAY look into just a muffler change out as I THINK the 5 cyl will have a strange( to most people) growl. :) thanx, crossy .

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hello Guys, Im new to the forum and new to turbo vehicles. I've been reading your thread and I have much the same questions about passing power. My vehicle is a 2007 S60 2.5T, Geartronic Trans, with just over 30,000 miles on it. I too wasn't impressed with the highway passing performance so I added a few IPD goodies: Stage ECU Tune, Front & Rear Sway Bars, HD CBV, HD TCV and new silicone vacuum lines. The CBV and TCV were installed by my Volvo dealership who also checked for any leaks etc. I still not that impressed with the top end performance. Low end is impressive, head snapping, pushed back into your seat pulling action. At highway speeds, 60 mph if I put it to the floor yes the car speeds up but certainly not with the same pull and feel. It's more of smooth glide than a "boost". Any additional things to look for, Boost Sensor ? or is this the way the low pressure turbo engine behaves and I'm just a bit unrealistic.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
146 Posts
My 2.4T does the same thing. I was pulling a long steep hill @ about 6800 ft in altitude and could barely pass a ford Windstar minivan from the 1990s... I'm going to go with a different turbo when money allows for sure.

·
Registered
2005 S60 T5 M66 with 4c
856 Posts
It is mainly a function of the turbo characteristics on the LPT 2.5T. Changing out the turbo is realistically the only way to change the powerband of the car. I think turning up the boost with a DP + stage 2 tune would help somewhat, but may not get you the results you are looking for.

My HPT T5 is kind of slow from the get-go, but once I get into the upper rev range >3000, the turbo really comes alive. Before then, just lazy driving around town, you would think my car is slow as a turtle because of the short gearing (constantly changing gears at low speed) and lack of power down low.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Hello Guys, Im new to the forum and new to turbo vehicles. I've been reading your thread and I have much the same questions about passing power. My vehicle is a 2007 S60 2.5T, Geartronic Trans, with just over 30,000 miles on it. I too wasn't impressed with the highway passing performance so I added a few IPD goodies: Stage ECU Tune, Front & Rear Sway Bars, HD CBV, HD TCV and new silicone vacuum lines. The CBV and TCV were installed by my Volvo dealership who also checked for any leaks etc. I still not that impressed with the top end performance. Low end is impressive, head snapping, pushed back into your seat pulling action. At highway speeds, 60 mph if I put it to the floor yes the car speeds up but certainly not with the same pull and feel. It's more of smooth glide than a "boost". Any additional things to look for, Boost Sensor ? or is this the way the low pressure turbo engine behaves and I'm just a bit unrealistic.

Thanks for your input.
You'll want a full exhaust to maximize upper rpm power, get an OBX downpipe and catback and have a shop install them, that'll help a decent amount at highway speeds.

Look into a TD04HL-16T turbocharger off of a 2001-2003 S60 T5, it's a drop in fit and really makes the car pull past 4000rpm, but doesn't sacrifice any low end performance. I picked one up at a junkyard for $150, rebuilt it for $80, used a few couplers to get the charge pipe to fit, and it really gave me a big performance boost on the highway.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Stefan, Did the TD04HL-16T only come off of the 2001-2003 S60 T5 or can you find them in different cars. Around here the junkyards try and screw you for any part off of a Volvo. Also where did you find the rebuild kit?

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
I don't think the LPT cars should have that much trouble in the 2500-3500rpm range in the top gear? Turbos rule for passing because there is usually no need to down shift(or kickdown on an auto).

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Stefan, Did the TD04HL-16T only come off of the 2001-2003 S60 T5 or can you find them in different cars. Around here the junkyards try and screw you for any part off of a Volvo. Also where did you find the rebuild kit?
You can look for ME7 style V70 T5's as well, I believe any 2001+ V70/S60 T5 uses the exact same angled flange TD04HL-16T. Other vehicles had 16T's, some S70 T5's had angled flange 16T's and I believe the 850R used a 16T (but I don't know if it's angled flange or not).

I only say look for 2001-2003 S60 T5's because those are an exact match, some people have had to re-clock the compressor side or CHRA of the 16T off of an older Volvo to get it to line up properly in an S60, and I know the wastegates are all different on older 16T's (which is fine but you'd need to adjust the wastegate properly before you run it on your car).

I looked around online and found a TD04HL rebuild kit, bought it and looked up how to install it. Really the only things that needed to be replaced were the bearings and seals, but there are a few other bits and pieces the kit includes. It's not hard at all to install, and if you mark the wheel placement before you disassemble it fully you don't even have to re-balance it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanks very much everyone for the invaluable feedback. I guess the message is that to get more top end performance; 1) exhaust mods and 2) bigger turbo ! I have to be careful with the exhaust mods, we have annual mandatory emissions testing up here which is slowly being eliminated but not for 3 or 4 more years. Thanks again, this forum and you guys rock !

·
Registered
2005 S60 T5 M66 with 4c
856 Posts
The turbos from 05+ T5 cars, are NOT the 16T you are looking for. They all come with the same turbos that are found on the Rs.

·
Registered
2005 S60 T5 M66 with 4c
856 Posts
How does your charge air pipe connect to the K24? V-band? If so does that mean your charge pipe is metal like the 04-05 R's?
The engine configuration is the same as the R layout with plastic charge pipe

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
The engine configuration is the same as the R layout with plastic charge pipe
So you have a plastic charge pipe with a v-band connection at the K24's compressor outlet?

04-05 R's used an aluminum charge air pipe that connected to the K24 with a V-band clamp and created a seal with an O-ring, 06-07 R's used a plastic charge air pipe that connected to the turbo with a rubber coupler and 2 worm style clamps. I was always under the impression that 04-05 T5's had a black aluminum charge air pipe...

·
Registered
2005 S60 T5 M66 with 4c
856 Posts
So you have a plastic charge pipe with a v-band connection at the K24's compressor outlet?

04-05 R's used an aluminum charge air pipe that connected to the K24 with a V-band clamp and created a seal with an O-ring, 06-07 R's used a plastic charge air pipe that connected to the turbo with a rubber coupler and 2 worm style clamps. I was always under the impression that 04-05 T5's had a black aluminum charge air pipe...
I'll check when I leave work today. I'm pretty sure it is a rubber coupler. It is definitely a black plastic pipe though. I never really got back there except to install the Snabb Intake Pipe, which I had to get the R version because of the airbox configuration. I have never seen other pictures of T5 engine compartments so I am going off of only what I have.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Will a K24 turbo work with a 2.5T?
Yes, but you'll need oil and coolant lines off of an R, also you'll need a different intake pipe since the K24 compressor opening is larger than the 14T's opening (2.75" vs 2.25" I believe). You'll also want to get the R charge pipe with it to not worry about the hassle of v-band vs rubber couplers.

K24 has a much different behavior than the TD04 series of turbos, so you'll need a custom tune to have it run at it's best.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Yes, but you'll need oil and coolant lines off of an R, also you'll need a different intake pipe since the K24 compressor opening is larger than the 14T's opening (2.75" vs 2.25" I believe). You'll also want to get the R charge pipe with it to not worry about the hassle of v-band vs rubber couplers.

K24 has a much different behavior than the TD04 series of turbos, so you'll need a custom tune to have it run at it's best.
Sounds like too much of a hassle. If I install a 16T is there an easy tune that I could use to tell the ECU that there is a bigger turbo, or will I have to get a whole tune to take advantage of it?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts