SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have CEL on my 2007 T5 and had Auto Zone do a free scan. Came back with "Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor A Circuit High Input" I'm thinking I need to replace the fuel pressure sensor, can someone confirm?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had the same message, and before the light came on it I found the the car was jerking or sputtering, or overboosting when it accelerated. It's probably the fuel pressure sensor.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have experienced the jerking/sputtering maybe once/twice a day. I also had a dead cell on my battery which the Volvo mechanic thought caused a "fuel pressure sensor" AND "ETM" code even thought I never threw a CEL, just told him about the random jerking etc. Replaced the battery and now go this error code.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Cheapest place is AMAZON, the FPS18 I ordered came for $57 and out of the box came a genuine BOSCH fuel rail pressure sensor.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I found this thread by searching for fuel pressure issues. My wife's 2007 C70 (T5 engine) has had two code incidents over the past three days. The first one caused the red warning "triangle" to come on, with message saying something like "Engine system service - urgent". My code reader said P0230 - fuel pump primary circuit. The codes wasn't permanent, and cleared OK.

Then, yesterday, the regular CEL (yellow) came on, and the codes that came up were P0193 (fuel rail pressure sensor circuit high, bank 1), plus P0191 (fuel rail pressure sensor circuit range/performance). Both codes cleared.

My live readings show fuel pressure at 300 kPa, or ~ 43 psi. While I have my code reader connected, I haven't seen any glitches or wavering of this pressure reading. Also, there have been no driveability symptoms, at least not so far. I've tried mashing the throttle on test drives, with the code reader in live mode, and the fuel pressure indicator stays constant.

My code reader also says that the "top fix" for the above two codes is "replaced fuel pressure sensor", with next most likely being "replaced Pump Electronic Module (PEM)". Listed as an "other possibility" is "replaced fuel pump".

I also noticed that there are some fuel system service bulletins (listed by my code reader's app):

1. #SMB 23-037 - just says that it is related to the PEM
2. #RTJ-16629 - "Leakage detection diagnostic improvements, to remedy DTC's"
3. #28-74 - same wording as number 2

(In searching this forum for fuel pump issues, I also ran across some indication of a program to replace fuel pumps with leakage issues...)

My questions are:

1. Is there any connection between the service bulletins and these symptoms/codes? In particular, if there are problems with the fuel pump leakage detection diagnostic, that result in DTCs, are the fuel pressure codes part of the symptoms?

2. Since the fuel pressure sensor is apparently reading high, rather than low (at least according to the wording of code P0193), can I assume that my fuel pump is actually OK? I would think that a faulty fuel pump might lead to low fuel pressure, but not high.....

3. If it is the sensor that is getting intermittent, is this a problem that would ever cause the car to not be driveable, or just stop running? I don't want to risk my wife being stranded. But if it is just a matter of getting codes, then I'd spend more time on diagnosing, and maybe repairing myself (versus feeling like I need to get it into the dealer right away).

4. I'm not sure where the fuel pressure sensor is located, and how accessible it is, etc. Any pointers to the repair/replacement procedure? Probably the PEM module is substantially trickier, both in terms of location, and cost...

Thanks for any help anyone can provide. I'm sorry if this is a semi thread hi-jack, but it seems like my problem is very similar to the OP's, so maybe this is helpful for both of us....

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Also, FWIW, I found a thread on how to replace the fuel pressure sensor on the T5 engine, which also implies that there is both an older FPS part and a newer one, and that a recall had been done on some Volvo models with the older FPS part, but not for all models that actually used the part....

Anyway, this thread may be of some help, for those with fuel pressure sensor issues:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ssure-Sensor-on-the-T5-engine&highlight=P0193

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Your most likely culprit is the Fuel pressure sensor. This is common & part of an actual recall on other models. Details in the Sticky.

1. Not really. Leak detection is simply a software fix to the CEL "sensitivity". PEM (Fuel Pump Control Unit) is an issue on early cars when it was located under the chassis & became corroded. 2007 probably has the PEM under the back seat on the left side. If it's there you have zero concerns.

2. Fuel pump is OK. Bad pumps are VERY rare.

3. Understand that your monitoring of the fuel pressure is using the FPS itself (the very item that is most likely defective) so take the readings with a grain of salt. You should notice raise in pressure at cold start up & full throttle. This issue will not strand you.

4. Sticky mentioned above. Just replace it, very common issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts