SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Personally, I would happily go to Rhode Island to pick up a new Volvo at Steingold and enjoy the drive home. That would take care of the delivery charge. My wife has relatives in the area so we could make a nice trip out of it.

But my local dealer handled my last OSD perfectly, so unless their OSD expert retires I'll most likely stay with the local outfit. For others, I don't think Steingold's new delivery charge is unreasonable at all.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Personally, I would happily go to Rhode Island to pick up a new Volvo at Steingold and enjoy the drive home. That would take care of the delivery charge. My wife has relatives in the area so we could make a nice trip out of it.

But my local dealer handled my last OSD perfectly, so unless their OSD expert retires I'll most likely stay with the local outfit. For others, I don't think Steingold's new delivery charge is unreasonable at all.
I'd go with Steingold if they didn't start charging the delivery fee. The consistent advice I've gotten from many of you is to look for a dealer and/or sales rep who is familiar with the OSD program to help facilitate the process, and Steingold fits that bill.

Hopefully the two local dealers in my area (recommended by folks here) are familiar enough to guide me through the process... but I'm less worried bc I have all of you awesome folks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
A bit outside the scope here, but for your interest: I think most dealerships are set up for dealer profit more than sales profit.. Where I work now we aren't going over MSRP. When I worked at the Ford store... if they charged over MSRP for a car, like a Cobra or Raptor they were pretty crappy about it. They actually tried to say that anything over MSRP you wouldn't get any commission on in order to keep it fair to other sales folks since there were so few of those opportunities. Total BS. Every sales person would rather someone else get an unfair paycheck for the chance to be that person than to be equally treated crappy. So unfortunately going $10k over MSRP doesn't even mean you're making the salespersons dream come true for sure. Not that it really matters to you as a customer either way, as it's the same $10k.. but most folks don't envy the sales folks, so there is some happiness is being able to shake hands where the person whos kids your feeding and lifestyle your supporting.
I'm all for supporting the sales reps (as long as they're not slimy). Unfortunately, the experience I got from two local dealers were more than just markup.

One dealer that charged $7k markup had a sales rep who seemed really arrogant and short, and another dealer played the old school shady bait and switch sales tactics - rep claimed negotiable $3k markup and then the manager pressured me to sit down and then offered $7k markup + $3k dealer mandatory useless add-ons totalling $10k markup.

If I meet an honest and no frills sales rep, I'd be happy to send a couple hundred bucks amazon gift card to them, which I did when I purchased my Subaru a few years ago and Toyota last year. (Subaru rep was so honest he declined the gift cards - I've sent several additional buyers to him since)

·
Registered
489 Posts
When we were shopping earlier this year, any dealership that had mark ups and added junk to get the price up we wouldn't deal with and walked out of. we never "need" a car when we are shopping so until we decided on the V90 CC, we might have just waited or found a dealership that wasn't adding on fees. We've never paid MSRP for any vehicle and we were not going to start with this purchase.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
When we were shopping earlier this year, any dealership that had mark ups and added junk to get the price up we wouldn't deal with and walked out of. we never "need" a car when we are shopping so until we decided on the V90 CC, we might have just waited or found a dealership that wasn't adding on fees. We've never paid MSRP for any vehicle and we were not going to start with this purchase.
I've never paid MSRP for any cars before either, until my Toyota Rav4 Prime. I self-justified the price because of the $7500 federal tax credit and because the resale value is well above MSRP.

·
Vendor
758 Posts
I'd go with Steingold if they didn't start charging the delivery fee. The consistent advice I've gotten from many of you is to look for a dealer and/or sales rep who is familiar with the OSD program to help facilitate the process, and Steingold fits that bill.

Hopefully the two local dealers in my area (recommended by folks here) are familiar enough to guide me through the process... but I'm less worried bc I have all of you awesome folks.
The biggest issue with OSD at the moment is allocation. Most dealers are refusing OSD orders as they literally have to use and “give up” an in-store unit to submit for the OSD program. Since dealers are selling at MSRP, or even higher (crazy, but we’ve heard so many stories about inflated prices with “market adjustments”) they do not want to submit an OSD order and give up much larger potential profit. OSD orders are much different than normal in-store sales.

We are accepting OSD orders across the US from all states, even though we are using our in-store allocation because we are huge advocates for the OSD program as it’s such a great value for the customer, especially since the 7% discount is built in, and in this market, it’s unheard of.

For orders placed with us, we have changed the policy a bit for pickup as the vehicle needs several software downloads and vehicle preps, that we feel more comfortable handling ourselves. When we had to rely on other dealers, a few important steps could easily be missed and we don’t like things out of our control.

The change is simple - if your final pickup is at our store in Rhode Island, there is a $0 shipping charge. If you opt for us to ship the vehicle to your home or office after the prep/downloads/detailing is complete, a flat $1,395 fee is charged, regardless of location. CA shipping would cost $2,000+, but we have compromised on a fair price that works for all states, regardless of location. This will ensure that our dealership personally handles the preps/downloads perfectly, and the vehicle is detailed and cleaned up to our expectations. Relying on other dealers/employees in this changing market had proven to be difficult, so everyone can agree this is the best move for a flawless experience.

For more details and updates, visit below as MY23 Pricing should be released soon enough!

Michael Bernardo
Director of Marketing
Steingold Volvo Cars
(401) 723-4700 x126
[email protected]
www.steingoldvolvocars.com

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The biggest issue with OSD at the moment is allocation. Most dealers are refusing OSD orders as they literally have to use and “give up” an in-store unit to submit for the OSD program. Since dealers are selling at MSRP, or even higher (crazy, but we’ve heard so many stories about inflated prices with “market adjustments”) they do not want to submit an OSD order and give up much larger potential profit. OSD orders are much different than normal in-store sales.

We are accepting OSD orders across the US from all states, even though we are using our in-store allocation because we are huge advocates for the OSD program as it’s such a great value for the customer, especially since the 7% discount is built in, and in this market, it’s unheard of.

For orders placed with us, we have changed the policy a bit for pickup as the vehicle needs several software downloads and vehicle preps, that we feel more comfortable handling ourselves. When we had to rely on other dealers, a few important steps could easily be missed and we don’t like things out of our control.

The change is simple - if your final pickup is at our store in Rhode Island, there is a $0 shipping charge. If you opt for us to ship the vehicle to your home or office after the prep/downloads/detailing is complete, a flat $1,395 fee is charged, regardless of location. CA shipping would cost $2,000+, but we have compromised on a fair price that works for all states, regardless of location. This will ensure that our dealership personally handles the preps/downloads perfectly, and the vehicle is detailed and cleaned up to our expectations. Relying on other dealers/employees in this changing market had proven to be difficult, so everyone can agree this is the best move for a flawless experience.

For more details and updates, visit below as MY23 Pricing should be released soon enough!

Michael Bernardo
Director of Marketing
Steingold Volvo Cars
(401) 723-4700 x126
[email protected]
Do you know when the OSD orders will reopen? There was another thread where someone said OSD is on hold for rest of 2022, which I'm hoping is false information.

·
Vendor
758 Posts
Do you know when the OSD orders will reopen? There was another thread where someone said OSD is on hold for rest of 2022, which I'm hoping is false information.
OSD is closed for MY22, not calendar year 2022. We expect model year 2023 pricing to be released in the next couple weeks, hopefully. But securing a vehicle allocation slot is a whole different obstacle.

Michael Bernardo
Director of Marketing
Steingold Volvo Cars
(401) 723-4700 x126
[email protected]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Regarding the MY23 expectations for OSD: when/if OSD is going to become available, is that going to happen for all models? I've received conflicting information from my local dealers (Seattle, WA area) with some claiming that there will be no OSD for the S60, since it's manufactured in the US (I somewhat doubt that makes a difference), while another said that it is expected to be available with an extended hotel stay as a small compensation for the fact that you wouldn't be picking up your car and be able to drive it in Sweden.

·
Premium Member
4,694 Posts
Regarding the MY23 expectations for OSD: when/if OSD is going to become available, is that going to happen for all models? I've received conflicting information from my local dealers (Seattle, WA area) with some claiming that there will be no OSD for the S60, since it's manufactured in the US (I somewhat doubt that makes a difference), while another said that it is expected to be available with an extended hotel stay as a small compensation for the fact that you wouldn't be picking up your car and be able to drive it in Sweden.
We really don't know any information about 2023... the best we can offer is what they did for 2022 and with so many changes in production levels, it can be a bit dangerous to make too many assumptions. For 2022 you could get the S60 direct shipped to the dealer and get the trip without the car. I do think they might have offered an extra night, but only did one S60 last year so I forget the details on it.

Reactions: northcar

·
Registered
5 Posts
They won't know till August 1st, that's when the program is supposed to open up again for 2023. It's only a few days so at this point I would wait to find out the level of discounts.
I'm in the Bay as well and even for OSD the local dealer said they will have to add their own stuff after the car arrives that will increase the price for an XC90 byb around 4.4K (I'd rather buy an Audi/BMW than give 4.4K markup for OSD).

The 1.2K cost from Steingold is a good deal. Either that or you gamble and wait for 6 months hoping the market has adjusted and the recession is impacting new car prices. I think it will take much longer than that, 1 year at least.

·
Premium Member
4,694 Posts
If they are charging over the OSD price you should absolutely report them to Volvo. That goes against the spirit of the program, and Volvo shouldn't be rewarding them with the money we get for selling a car through the OSD program.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Welcome aboard! It’s a great experience and if you don’t need the car now and are flexible with the timeline it’s the only way to buy a Volvo imo. Our first but when we were on our trip met a few repeat OSD’ers and I totally get it now. This forum is a great resource and ask away.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
They won't know till August 1st, that's when the program is supposed to open up again for 2023. It's only a few days so at this point I would wait to find out the level of discounts.
I'm in the Bay as well and even for OSD the local dealer said they will have to add their own stuff after the car arrives that will increase the price for an XC90 byb around 4.4K (I'd rather buy an Audi/BMW than give 4.4K markup for OSD).

The 1.2K cost from Steingold is a good deal. Either that or you gamble and wait for 6 months hoping the market has adjusted and the recession is impacting new car prices. I think it will take much longer than that, 1 year at least.
If you don't mind, which local dealer is adding 4.4k add-ons? If walnut creek or Dublin, those are two dealers I'm clearly avoiding given their much higher markups for available inventory cars (dublin wanted $10k markup for xc60 recharge ER). I believe someone mentioned that both are under the same ownership group. Such a shame, as I believe one of the beloved OSD reps on this site worked for walnut creek for 20(?) years.

·
Registered
99 Posts
If you don't mind, which local dealer is adding 4.4k add-ons? If walnut creek or Dublin, those are two dealers I'm clearly avoiding given their much higher markups for available inventory cars (dublin wanted $10k markup for xc60 recharge ER). I believe someone mentioned that both are under the same ownership group. Such a shame, as I believe one of the beloved OSD reps on this site worked for walnut creek for 20(?) years.
During shopping for myself back in Jan, Palo Alto one also wanted to add markups by selling unwanted coating/accessories.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If they are charging over the OSD price you should absolutely report them to Volvo. That goes against the spirit of the program, and Volvo shouldn't be rewarding them with the money we get for selling a car through the OSD program.
How do you report them to Volvo? What kind of proof do I need to have?

21 - 40 of 62 Posts