SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2022.5 s60 recharge inscription thunder gray
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping to place an OSD order for a 2023 xc60 recharge plus (denim blue with blond interior), and would love advice from this community, especially if you have any recommendations for dealers in the San Francisco Bay area (I'm in the east bay).

I've been trying to find a 2022 xc60 recharge extended range, and the only dealers that have this model in stock are shady dealers asking for $7k-10k above msrp. Fortunately, the frustration with these dealers have led me to find swedespeed and learn about OSD. Now I'm looking forward to placing an OSD order and taking my partner to Sweden (hopefully this year). Thanks in advance for your advice!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The markup may just be for vehicles on the lot and presently available.

I am not sure they are "allowed" (or more likely as a matter of practice) to mark up an OSD order so it might be worth your while to find out if there is someone at the dealership who does the OSD orders since as reported above they apparently still are doing OSD orders.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. Walnut creek offered all of its existing '22 xc60s for $7k markup. The new Dublin volvo takes the cake though... it offered an existing xc60 recharge ER for over $10k markup. No thank you to both dealers.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Perhaps I wasn't clear as I could have been. All I am suggesting is that the Walnut Creek dealer is evidently doing OSD orders (some dealers don't) and I would be surprised if for those orders they are charging a mark up since the OSD customers have many options to go elsewhere. Assuming it is important to deal locally it would be worth finding out who handles the OSD orders at that dealership and working with them directly.

Contrast to vehicles on the lot where markups are more related to right now supply and demand.
It's not you. It's my bad. Appreciate the response!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm not a fan of over MSRP pricing, but from a reality perspective... there is a two sided reason that's the only examples you can find... anyone selling at MSRP is pretty much sold out unless you find a deal where someone backed out of an order or something (I'm sure there are a few exceptions, but it's ultra rare). And if you have the only one of something in high demand, someone will suck it up and pay... which would make that a valid market price.

That's sorta irrelevant though. No, dealers can't change the price for OSD,. It's 100% the way to go. I'm curious to see if they offer any discount for the 2023s next year or not. Honestly, it would be perfectly reasonable to have no discount for OSD as it would still be a pretty awesome deal at the moment. I expect some sort of changes to the program given the current climate. I've got several people who went this year and several getting ready to travel. All have had an awesome experience once they arrived, even with some travel agency challenges to get there. I would think that will be fixed for next year too.
I was an econ major, so I totally get the supply and demand argument. To those who are willing to pay 10-20% markup, I think it's silly but good for them. I am significantly less willing to pay a markup when there are awesome programs like the OSD, where there's a ~7% discount and a heavily subsidized unique travel experience (I value travel).

I'd probably fall in the bucket you're describing: willing to do the OSD program even if there isn't the 7% discount. :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Personally, I would happily go to Rhode Island to pick up a new Volvo at Steingold and enjoy the drive home. That would take care of the delivery charge. My wife has relatives in the area so we could make a nice trip out of it.

But my local dealer handled my last OSD perfectly, so unless their OSD expert retires I'll most likely stay with the local outfit. For others, I don't think Steingold's new delivery charge is unreasonable at all.
I'd go with Steingold if they didn't start charging the delivery fee. The consistent advice I've gotten from many of you is to look for a dealer and/or sales rep who is familiar with the OSD program to help facilitate the process, and Steingold fits that bill.

Hopefully the two local dealers in my area (recommended by folks here) are familiar enough to guide me through the process... but I'm less worried bc I have all of you awesome folks.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
A bit outside the scope here, but for your interest: I think most dealerships are set up for dealer profit more than sales profit.. Where I work now we aren't going over MSRP. When I worked at the Ford store... if they charged over MSRP for a car, like a Cobra or Raptor they were pretty crappy about it. They actually tried to say that anything over MSRP you wouldn't get any commission on in order to keep it fair to other sales folks since there were so few of those opportunities. Total BS. Every sales person would rather someone else get an unfair paycheck for the chance to be that person than to be equally treated crappy. So unfortunately going $10k over MSRP doesn't even mean you're making the salespersons dream come true for sure. Not that it really matters to you as a customer either way, as it's the same $10k.. but most folks don't envy the sales folks, so there is some happiness is being able to shake hands where the person whos kids your feeding and lifestyle your supporting.
I'm all for supporting the sales reps (as long as they're not slimy). Unfortunately, the experience I got from two local dealers were more than just markup.

One dealer that charged $7k markup had a sales rep who seemed really arrogant and short, and another dealer played the old school shady bait and switch sales tactics - rep claimed negotiable $3k markup and then the manager pressured me to sit down and then offered $7k markup + $3k dealer mandatory useless add-ons totalling $10k markup.

If I meet an honest and no frills sales rep, I'd be happy to send a couple hundred bucks amazon gift card to them, which I did when I purchased my Subaru a few years ago and Toyota last year. (Subaru rep was so honest he declined the gift cards - I've sent several additional buyers to him since)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
When we were shopping earlier this year, any dealership that had mark ups and added junk to get the price up we wouldn't deal with and walked out of. we never "need" a car when we are shopping so until we decided on the V90 CC, we might have just waited or found a dealership that wasn't adding on fees. We've never paid MSRP for any vehicle and we were not going to start with this purchase.
I've never paid MSRP for any cars before either, until my Toyota Rav4 Prime. I self-justified the price because of the $7500 federal tax credit and because the resale value is well above MSRP.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The biggest issue with OSD at the moment is allocation. Most dealers are refusing OSD orders as they literally have to use and “give up” an in-store unit to submit for the OSD program. Since dealers are selling at MSRP, or even higher (crazy, but we’ve heard so many stories about inflated prices with “market adjustments”) they do not want to submit an OSD order and give up much larger potential profit. OSD orders are much different than normal in-store sales.

We are accepting OSD orders across the US from all states, even though we are using our in-store allocation because we are huge advocates for the OSD program as it’s such a great value for the customer, especially since the 7% discount is built in, and in this market, it’s unheard of.

For orders placed with us, we have changed the policy a bit for pickup as the vehicle needs several software downloads and vehicle preps, that we feel more comfortable handling ourselves. When we had to rely on other dealers, a few important steps could easily be missed and we don’t like things out of our control.

The change is simple - if your final pickup is at our store in Rhode Island, there is a $0 shipping charge. If you opt for us to ship the vehicle to your home or office after the prep/downloads/detailing is complete, a flat $1,395 fee is charged, regardless of location. CA shipping would cost $2,000+, but we have compromised on a fair price that works for all states, regardless of location. This will ensure that our dealership personally handles the preps/downloads perfectly, and the vehicle is detailed and cleaned up to our expectations. Relying on other dealers/employees in this changing market had proven to be difficult, so everyone can agree this is the best move for a flawless experience.

For more details and updates, visit below as MY23 Pricing should be released soon enough!

Michael Bernardo
Director of Marketing
Steingold Volvo Cars
(401) 723-4700 x126
[email protected]
www.steingoldvolvocars.com
Do you know when the OSD orders will reopen? There was another thread where someone said OSD is on hold for rest of 2022, which I'm hoping is false information.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
They won't know till August 1st, that's when the program is supposed to open up again for 2023. It's only a few days so at this point I would wait to find out the level of discounts.
I'm in the Bay as well and even for OSD the local dealer said they will have to add their own stuff after the car arrives that will increase the price for an XC90 byb around 4.4K (I'd rather buy an Audi/BMW than give 4.4K markup for OSD).

The 1.2K cost from Steingold is a good deal. Either that or you gamble and wait for 6 months hoping the market has adjusted and the recession is impacting new car prices. I think it will take much longer than that, 1 year at least.
If you don't mind, which local dealer is adding 4.4k add-ons? If walnut creek or Dublin, those are two dealers I'm clearly avoiding given their much higher markups for available inventory cars (dublin wanted $10k markup for xc60 recharge ER). I believe someone mentioned that both are under the same ownership group. Such a shame, as I believe one of the beloved OSD reps on this site worked for walnut creek for 20(?) years.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I just spoke with the dealer we are using to order our XC90 Recharge through the OSD program and he said that unfortunately Volvo has eliminated the MSRP discount for this year. They are giving an extra free hotel night, which is hardly an equivalent but I guess we shouldn't be shocked given the intensity of the car market right now.
Yeah... the extra hotel night is worth about $150-200, as opposed to previous $4-7k discount.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I think the new law only affect those who take delivery in 2023 right? For people who can get a car in 2022 the credits would still stand. But given this is the OSD section, chances are slim.
I'm holding out a similar hope. As excited as I still am for the OSD, the $7500 would be incentive enough for me to just purchase an incoming vehicle at a local dealer. =/

1 - 15 of 15 Posts