SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping to place an OSD order for a 2023 xc60 recharge plus (denim blue with blond interior), and would love advice from this community, especially if you have any recommendations for dealers in the San Francisco Bay area (I'm in the east bay).

I've been trying to find a 2022 xc60 recharge extended range, and the only dealers that have this model in stock are shady dealers asking for $7k-10k above msrp. Fortunately, the frustration with these dealers have led me to find swedespeed and learn about OSD. Now I'm looking forward to placing an OSD order and taking my partner to Sweden (hopefully this year). Thanks in advance for your advice!

·
Registered
489 Posts
If you are patient, OSD is the best way to buy a Volvo. We are doing our second OSD next month for a V90 CC B6. I'm in CT so can't give any west coast dealers recommendations. I would start by talking with your local dealers. We bought our XC40 OSD four years ago from the dealer 10 minutes from our house. Our dealer experience was great even though they don't do a tom of OSDs. We went with a different dealer for the second one only because they had a V90 CC B6 that we could test drive several times and our other dealership didn't even have a used model.

Whoever you go with, my advice would be to stay on top of the process and don't assume things are moving along. There are many things that fall into place for a successful OSD so keep good notes and records as you go through it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
We used to buy from Lawrence Volvo(15 years ago) in Walnut Creek and always had good luck with them. We’ve since moved and did our first OSD with Pearson in Boise, but just met another couple dripping off in Munich who just used Walnut Creek Volvo and were very happy. Good luck!

·
Registered
796 Posts
Thanks for the response! I'm a bit leary of Walnut Creek because they're quoting me $7k markup.
The markup may just be for vehicles on the lot and presently available.

I am not sure they are "allowed" (or more likely as a matter of practice) to mark up an OSD order so it might be worth your while to find out if there is someone at the dealership who does the OSD orders since as reported above they apparently still are doing OSD orders.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The markup may just be for vehicles on the lot and presently available.

I am not sure they are "allowed" (or more likely as a matter of practice) to mark up an OSD order so it might be worth your while to find out if there is someone at the dealership who does the OSD orders since as reported above they apparently still are doing OSD orders.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. Walnut creek offered all of its existing '22 xc60s for $7k markup. The new Dublin volvo takes the cake though... it offered an existing xc60 recharge ER for over $10k markup. No thank you to both dealers.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I think it's probably important to question dealers about their OSD experience. Some have none, some have some but poorly managed, and some have a great track record.

When I was looking, I asked the salesman at my local dealership if he was familiar with OSD and his reply was that he had been doing them for 15 years and had done it twice himself. Sounded good to me, and the whole experience was super smooth.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Sorry, I wasn't clear. Walnut creek offered all of its existing '22 xc60s for $7k markup. The new Dublin volvo takes the cake though... it offered an existing xc60 recharge ER for over $10k markup. No thank you to both dealers.
Perhaps I wasn't clear as I could have been. All I am suggesting is that the Walnut Creek dealer is evidently doing OSD orders (some dealers don't) and I would be surprised if for those orders they are charging a mark up since the OSD customers have many options to go elsewhere. Assuming it is important to deal locally it would be worth finding out who handles the OSD orders at that dealership and working with them directly.

Contrast to vehicles on the lot where markups are more related to right now supply and demand.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Perhaps I wasn't clear as I could have been. All I am suggesting is that the Walnut Creek dealer is evidently doing OSD orders (some dealers don't) and I would be surprised if for those orders they are charging a mark up since the OSD customers have many options to go elsewhere. Assuming it is important to deal locally it would be worth finding out who handles the OSD orders at that dealership and working with them directly.

Contrast to vehicles on the lot where markups are more related to right now supply and demand.
It's not you. It's my bad. Appreciate the response!

·
Premium Member
4,713 Posts
I'm not a fan of over MSRP pricing, but from a reality perspective... there is a two sided reason that's the only examples you can find... anyone selling at MSRP is pretty much sold out unless you find a deal where someone backed out of an order or something (I'm sure there are a few exceptions, but it's ultra rare). And if you have the only one of something in high demand, someone will suck it up and pay... which would make that a valid market price.

That's sorta irrelevant though. No, dealers can't change the price for OSD,. It's 100% the way to go. I'm curious to see if they offer any discount for the 2023s next year or not. Honestly, it would be perfectly reasonable to have no discount for OSD as it would still be a pretty awesome deal at the moment. I expect some sort of changes to the program given the current climate. I've got several people who went this year and several getting ready to travel. All have had an awesome experience once they arrived, even with some travel agency challenges to get there. I would think that will be fixed for next year too.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm not a fan of over MSRP pricing, but from a reality perspective... there is a two sided reason that's the only examples you can find... anyone selling at MSRP is pretty much sold out unless you find a deal where someone backed out of an order or something (I'm sure there are a few exceptions, but it's ultra rare). And if you have the only one of something in high demand, someone will suck it up and pay... which would make that a valid market price.

That's sorta irrelevant though. No, dealers can't change the price for OSD,. It's 100% the way to go. I'm curious to see if they offer any discount for the 2023s next year or not. Honestly, it would be perfectly reasonable to have no discount for OSD as it would still be a pretty awesome deal at the moment. I expect some sort of changes to the program given the current climate. I've got several people who went this year and several getting ready to travel. All have had an awesome experience once they arrived, even with some travel agency challenges to get there. I would think that will be fixed for next year too.
I was an econ major, so I totally get the supply and demand argument. To those who are willing to pay 10-20% markup, I think it's silly but good for them. I am significantly less willing to pay a markup when there are awesome programs like the OSD, where there's a ~7% discount and a heavily subsidized unique travel experience (I value travel).

I'd probably fall in the bucket you're describing: willing to do the OSD program even if there isn't the 7% discount. :)

·
Premium Member
22.5 V60PE
324 Posts
a reality perspective
We really like our sales rep: he's been extremely honestly friendly and straightforward (think @DFrantz :)).

We had a few minutes to chat while waiting to pay for our car and talked about the business/deal flow at his dealership. The comment that stuck with me was his average for a month: he guessed at like 12 cars on average, in May this year he might do 15, in June he expected 3.

He said he'd prepared himself and his family for rocky times. He was concerned about the younger reps with families.

·
Premium Member
4,713 Posts
A bit outside the scope here, but for your interest: I think most dealerships are set up for dealer profit more than sales profit.. Where I work now we aren't going over MSRP. When I worked at the Ford store... if they charged over MSRP for a car, like a Cobra or Raptor they were pretty crappy about it. They actually tried to say that anything over MSRP you wouldn't get any commission on in order to keep it fair to other sales folks since there were so few of those opportunities. Total BS. Every sales person would rather someone else get an unfair paycheck for the chance to be that person than to be equally treated crappy. So unfortunately going $10k over MSRP doesn't even mean you're making the salespersons dream come true for sure. Not that it really matters to you as a customer either way, as it's the same $10k.. but most folks don't envy the sales folks, so there is some happiness is being able to shake hands where the person whos kids your feeding and lifestyle your supporting.

Reactions: northcar

·
Registered
2019 XC-90, T-6 AWD Polestar Tuned, Denim Blue with Maroon Brown Interior (OSD Sept 2018)
158 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Sadly, I think marking up over sticker is VERY common in the bay area, every dealer we went to was doing it. Simple supply and demand coupled with the fact that they are selling cars in a very high income region. As for dealers, we bought our first OSD car from the late William Marks (RIP) at Walnut Creek. He was one of two famed sales reps that were considered experts in OSD. For our second car, currently in the pipeline, we opted to go with Steingold in RI, as I wanted someone who was expert on OSD, and when we went to local dealers we seemed to know more about OSD then them. To be fair I didn't REALLY dig to find out if they had sales folks who might know more but just went on initial impressions. That said, there was someone local posting in the forums recently that reported a positive experience with Marin. Maybe do a search for Marin in the OSD forum to find that person and reach out to ask which sales person they worked with. If you want to go with Steingold they will coordinate a free delivery to a local dealer, for us Marin, so it's definitely an option if you want to go that route.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Sadly, I think marking up over sticker is VERY common in the bay area, every dealer we went to was doing it. Simple supply and demand coupled with the fact that they are selling cars in a very high income region. As for dealers, we bought our first OSD car from the late William Marks (RIP) at Walnut Creek. He was one of two famed sales reps that were considered experts in OSD. For our second car, currently in the pipeline, we opted to go with Steingold in RI, as I wanted someone who was expert on OSD, and when we went to local dealers we seemed to know more about OSD then them. To be fair I didn't REALLY dig to find out if they had sales folks who might know more but just went on initial impressions. That said, there was someone local posting in the forums recently that reported a positive experience with Marin. Maybe do a search for Marin in the OSD forum to find that person and reach out to ask which sales person they worked with. If you want to go with Steingold they will coordinate a free delivery to a local dealer, for us Marin, so it's definitely an option if you want to go that route.
Good information, but apparently Steingold has modified their previous free delivery to a local dealer policy per a recent posting. As I understand it now one has the option of picking up the car at their dealership and making a road trip home without extra charge, but the shipping is now direct to you rather than to a local dealer and there is something like a $1300 charge.

·
Registered
2019 XC-90, T-6 AWD Polestar Tuned, Denim Blue with Maroon Brown Interior (OSD Sept 2018)
158 Posts
Good information, but apparently Steingold has modified their previous free delivery to a local dealer policy per a recent posting. As I understand it now one has the option of picking up the car at their dealership and making a road trip home without extra charge, but the shipping is now direct to you rather than to a local dealer and there is something like a $1300 charge.
Hmmm, I hadn't seen that update. Good to know. That would definitely give me pause on using them vs. trying harder locally. I am surprised at that move as I know they do a lot of out of state business.

Reactions: Bearoski
1 - 20 of 62 Posts