SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I vaguely remembered the sales guy telling me that my S90 had some phone enabled features, like remote starting and climate pre-conditioning. I am not a huge user of features like these, so it took me a couple of months before I yesterday started looking into it.

It seems as if they require the Volvo On Call app. I started setting it up, but it required a PIN i did not have, so the app prompted me to press the On Call button (I didn't even realize it was there) and talk to customer service, which I did.

After an ominous warning that I was giving On Call access to my vehicle data (I hate data sharing) I got to speak to a representative.

Turns out On Call requires a subscription, and it isn't cheap...

White Line Calm

I'm actually kind of astonished that I handed over over $40k and they are going to nickel and dime me over remote services, which already use a data sim I am paying for through my cellphone plan.

All that said, Volvo has been absolutely terrible about publishing the details regarding what On Call actually does.

From my googling, it seems as if it has remote starting and climate pre-conditioining (marginally useful IMHO) and some sort of dumb Concierge service which I would never use.

Does it have any other features that would make it worthwhile? Because at this price and the features I know about I'd probably be paying $25 per time I used the thing, and that's just not worth it.

Appreciate any opinions!

--Matt

·
Registered
102 Posts
To each their own, I find it useful for the remote start and ability to see where the car is when you park it and so forth.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Hey all,

I vaguely remembered the sales guy telling me that my S90 had some phone enabled features, like remote starting and climate pre-conditioning. I am not a huge user of features like these, so it took me a couple of months before I yesterday started looking into it.

It seems as if they require the Volvo On Call app. I started setting it up, but it required a PIN i did not have, so the app prompted me to press the On Call button (I didn't even realize it was there) and talk to customer service, which I did.

After an ominous warning that I was giving On Call access to my vehicle data (I hate data sharing) I got to speak to a representative.

View attachment 55807

I'm actually kind of astonished that I handed over over $40k and they are going to nickel and dime me over remote services, which already use a data sim I am paying for through my cellphone plan.

All that said, Volvo has been absolutely terrible about publishing the details regarding what On Call actually does.

From my googling, it seems as if it has remote starting and climate pre-conditioining (marginally useful IMHO) and some sort of dumb Concierge service which I would never use.

Does it have any other features that would make it worthwhile? Because at this price and the features I know about I'd probably be paying $25 per time I used the thing, and that's just not worth it.

Appreciate any opinions!

--Matt
I remember when we bought our 2018 V90 CC. It came with a free subscription for ? months.
I asked my wife if she wanted it - she asked why and what does it do. I told her and she said no.
For what it does and cost - it's a "oh, look at that" waste of money.

·
Registered
332 Posts
did you check your vin to see status of volvo on call? if you bought your car a few months ago, it should have come with 4 years of VOC. they did change it earlier this year from 6 month trial. pm me your vin i can check against volvo site to see subscription trial period

·
Registered
367 Posts
To each their own, I find it useful for the remote start and ability to see where the car is when you park it and so forth.
Ditto on my end. 4 years included with purchase and i would renew. I like having the ability to track the vehicle similar, lock/unlock from app. Just another convenience that I will probably pay for afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I purchased longest plan available and used a discount coupon too. Love this feature and it's not fall yet. I use remote start all the time - let me precondition the vehicle in the morning or after work.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I purchased longest plan available and used a discount coupon too. Love this feature and it's not fall yet. I use remote start all the time - let me precondition the vehicle in the morning or after work.
. Since it’s available I also turn on AC when I leave the office to ensure the wagon be cool upon arrival. I guess we be spoiled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
582 Posts
Amazon and Volvo provide VOC thru the amazon key app. It allows Amazon to deliver to your car. I have it for the free VOC program

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,082 Posts

--Matt
The VoC subscription is free for the first four years of Vehicle ownership. You do not have to pay for anything currently.

I use my VoC app almost daily to condition the climate in the fall and winters (have already started using it this season) because of the weather in MI.

I also occasionally use it for keeping track of my miles driven per day on long road-trips.

I also use it to track my Vehicle when it is at the dealer's, overnight to check what it's up to.

I have also used it multiple times to send destination data to my Sensus Maps, so by the time I'm in my vehicle, the destination is received, and I can easily navigate to the place instead of fiddling around in the Vehicle.

Apart from that, I have used the VoC button inside the car once in my 16 months of Vehicle ownership. When my gas lid wouldn't open at the gas station. The representative on the phone advised me to lock and then unlock the car twice with the key, and it opened then. Now, even though it sounds like a simple fix, if it was not for the VoC, I would have been stranded for some time, 500 miles away from home on a cold night at a (soon to close) gas station, trying to pry the lid out and google the Volvo helpline number with shi+ty 2G network.

Your needs may vary, but I would rather have the membership and not use it than not be able to pre-condition the vehicle or be stranded clueless somewhere and wish I had hotline access to Volvo.

It also depends on how long you plan to own your vehicle. A lease? Short-Term ownership? Long-Term ownership? Drive it till it falls apart like a rusted bowl? I"m planning on the last option, so I see myself spending the extra $10/month on the 60-month extension once my current membership expires in mid-June, 2022.

·
Registered
902 Posts
VOC only came 4 years with cars from 2018 and up 2017 only got 1 year i think. So what i did with my wifes 2017 s60 i called volvo and told them that this not right and they should add 3 more years for me free and they did. So if you had only for year or less call volvo 90% at a time they will extended for you.

·
Registered
14,004 Posts
I had it for a year on both cars and never used it so did not renew. All of the services seemed novel but of little use to me.

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
My wife drives the car but I use it every day, and don't need to call wife to know where she is. Will be same when some day my kids drive it.

So, definitely will renew it. :)

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
did you check your vin to see status of volvo on call? if you bought your car a few months ago, it should have come with 4 years of VOC. they did change it earlier this year from 6 month trial. pm me your vin i can check against volvo site to see subscription trial period
Ditto on my end. 4 years included with purchase and i would renew. I like having the ability to track the vehicle similar, lock/unlock from app. Just another convenience that I will probably pay for afterwards.
The VoC subscription is free for the first four years of Vehicle ownership. You do not have to pay for anything currently.
VOC only came 4 years with cars from 2018 and up 2017 only got 1 year i think. So what i did what my wifes 2017 s60 i called volvo and told them that this not right and they should add 3 more years for me free and they did. So if you had only for year or less call volvo 90% at a time they will extended for you.

Does this apply to CPO purchases as well?

Mine is a 2017, and I bought it as a CPO car in September. The guy on the on-call phone line said it was expired. When I looked it up, it said it expired in March 2017. Was the dealer supposed to renew it for me for 4 years when I bought the car? They may just have forgotten?

·
Registered
14,004 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine (2018 S90) came with four years included. Originally, I only saw it as a remote start and was annoyed that they would eventually make remote start a subscription (after 11 years of owning a GM with a factory remote start on the fob). In truth, I'm still annoyed about the lack of fob-based remote start as I find the app sluggish to respond. But, the other features (mainly the driving journal for me - helps me keep track of fuel usage and analyze which drive modes are better for different conditions/routes) make the subscription more appealing. I'm still a long way from deciding whether or not to extend when my trial is up (only had the car a few months) but it's gone from "no way" to "perhaps I'll consider". I'll get back to you after my first Canadian winter (re: remote start).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Would not buy a Volvo without it. Remote start and climate control plus driving journal is essential for daily use, especially if you either live in hot or cold climate.

·
Registered
902 Posts
yes cpo gets 1 year but i would call dealer to get that year and than after year almost up i would call up volvo direct and would ask for 1 or 2 years more :)

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I love Volvo OnCall. My favorite feature is sending destinations from my phone to the car. Preconditioning is pretty slick too. It was real nice to enter a warmed up car.

I bought a 2019 CPO in June, and my VoC expires in Feb 2023.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I love Volvo OnCall. My favorite feature is sending destinations from my phone to the car. Preconditioning is pretty slick too. It was real nice to enter a warmed up car.

I bought a 2019 CPO in June, and my VoC expires in Feb 2023.
If you bought your Volvo during the recent CPO event they had over the summer, they were running a promotion with 3 years of free VOC. My understanding is the standard offer is 1 year with a CPO. My XC70 was never registered with it so I ended up getting 1-1/2 years for some reason. Sending destinations to the Sensus Navigation is is definitely a great feature - especially with pre-SPA cars that don't feature a touchscreen. The remote start and lock/unlock features in addition make it a worthwhile investment for me.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
If you bought your Volvo during the recent CPO event they had over the summer, they were running a promotion with 3 years of free VOC. My understanding is the standard offer is 1 year with a CPO. My XC70 was never registered with it so I ended up getting 1-1/2 years for some reason. Sending destinations to the Sensus Navigation is is definitely a great feature - especially with pre-SPA cars that don't feature a touchscreen. The remote start and lock/unlock features in addition make it a worthwhile investment for me.
I don't think mine was a part of that promotion period. I got my XC60 about a month before that started.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts