SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,<p>I'm looking at an '06 T5 at my local dealer. It can be found by scrolling down here:<p><A HREF="http://www.nashvillevolvo.com/used.html" TARGET="_blank">http://www.nashvillevolvo.com/used.html</A><p>It offers the 7-pass seating (somthing we'll need), the reverse sensors (something critical for my 5'3" wife), and it's a real color, versus a shade of grey. Given that we have kids, i'm not gassed about the light leather, but at least it's leather (probaly also better for our hot clime). The mileage, 30k, means it's seen a little under average use, though that probably means plenty of around town, so oil changes would be critical. The description indicates "rear a/c", but as I recall that's just vents, not a separate temp control, correct? Did the '06's come with xenon's standard? And what do people think about upsizing to the Atlantis wheels?<p>I've read through several threads and the T5 seems to be the most preferred engice, second only to the 8. I think it will be more than adequte to our purposes; wife (whose car it would be) is not power-hungry and will see lots of 'round town duty. And too, given all the upheaval at Volvo, I'm most comfortable with the last year of the long-running 5.<p>I'd appreciate any thoughts/input/suggestions folks might offer on questions to ask, things to be aware of, etc. <p>TIA.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Re: Seeking Input on '06 T5 (pktojd)

The 2.5T is a fantastic engine, works well in the XC90. Definitely not a V8 but gets the job done. It does work hard in an XC90, so service history is definitely important.<p>The rear A/C is indeed a separate unit with master switch on the dash and supplemental controls accessable in the third row. For the US market, Volvo made the rear A/C mandatory when the third row was optioned. Xenons were definitely not standard. The 18" wheels are nice, just ensure that alignment is done when new tires are installed.

·
Registered
487 Posts
2.5 is fine for around town with decent low end torque. I like the ride, and looks, with the Atlantis wheels. In Canada, xenon's were part of the luxury package (one of the packages anyhow) and includes a wood steering wheel. We have the same magic blue colour and love it; tons of complements!<p>Have them verify the awd compenents. <p>PS: It's 2.5T and not a T5, that was a specific engine not offered on the XC90.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (Pinstripe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Pinstripe</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">PS: It's 2.5T and not a T5, that was a specific engine not offered on the XC90.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Thanks a lot for that clarification.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Re: (pktojd)

Have you actually been to the dealer and looked over this vehicle. Volvo Nashville has a tendency to post information about new and used cars and when they sell them they conveniently forget to remove them. I've been over several times looking for cars and they are long gone. <p>Call first and check to see if they are on the lot.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (comp1)

Yeah, it's there. I (can) pass the place on my way home. And I emailed to make sure. HAve you ever dealt with them? If so, what's your experience been?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Re: (pktojd)

The service department is or has been one of the top in the nation for quite some time. I used it once for a second opinion and was very happy. We do all of our maintenance at DW and have purchased our cars from them as well. Regarding the sales group at VON--my mother taught me not to speak ill of people so I'll leave it at that. I personally think the service relationship is far more important than that with the sales group. I no longer own my XC902.5T but it was a great car and never once left me stranded. There is quite a bit of torque with that engine, you can easily squeal the front tires if your not careful so I would not worry about the power. <p>

·
Registered
827 Posts
Re: (Pinstripe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Pinstripe</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">2.5 is fine for around town with decent low end torque. I like the ride, and looks, with the Atlantis wheels. .</TD></TR></TABLE><p><br>2.5 has plenty of power, no issues. Remember it has a turbo, and complete flat torque curve<br>so you get all the torque throughout the power band. It will have more than enough power. The<br>V8 is nice, but these are not race cars by any stretch even with the V8. The 2.5 can get to<br>80 easy just getting on the freeway. It doesnt have the pull to jump and pass, takes<br>a bit more room than the V8, but will cruse at 90MPH on the Autobahn with ease.<p>We have two boys, no problem with the tan leather. <BR><BR>
<i>Modified by dmd at 5:30 PM 5-9-2009</i>

·
Registered
111 Posts
Re: Seeking Input on '06 T5 (pktojd)

Regarding the light leather seats, I have seen it hold up very well if taken care of, on several 8-10 year old Volvos (various models). But if you are not in a hurry, during my search there seemed to be quite few Magic Blue 2.5T's with the Charcol leather interior. Not many V8's in that color with anything other than Taupe. The 2.5's with the charcol were pretty optioned out, otherwise they had the Taupe. Leather is actually easier to clean than fabric. Downside isn't kids, but if you are carrying pets that can scratch it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts