SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forum;

I need years of carbed 14XS and Injected 14XE for the purpose of adding a representative Wiring Diagrams of each to the SW-EM Site. I already have a carbed WD posted, but would like to know when 140s got injection, and would like to post a WD also. I realize there may be variations with country of delivery.

TIA

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
The first year for Djet on the 140 was 1971. I have a 1971 factory service manual so I can provide a WD for 1971 if you want - please advise. I don't think the 145 received D jet in 1971 (or ever?).

The 140 received the K jet system in 1974 or 1975 so those wiring diagrams would be significantly different. I think the US market (or maybe California) only received K jet equipped cars; but, carburetor equipped cars soldiered on for a long time in Canada. Carb B20s were on the early 240s and I think carbs might have been an option on the later OHC engines right to the end of the '70s. My 1979 242gt was K jet equipped and ran unleaded; but, did not have a catalytic converter.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
142G;

Thanks for info!

I recently got a clean '70 factory Service Manual, so I'm OK there, and I did get a clean scan of that carbed version...but I will take you up on that offer for the D-Jet version...please make it a clean, hi-res, B&W scan...no rush, and you're welcome to e-mail it to me...please include a Fuse/Loads listing if you have an owners manual you could harvest that from...

Thanks and Cheers

·
Registered
13 Posts
The first year for Djet on the 140 was 1971. ......

I don't think the 145 received D jet in 1971 (or ever?).
My one owner '73 145 is D-Jet equipped. My guess is that all of the U.S. models of the 140 series got access to the D-Jet B20E (10.5/1 compression) and then in '73 to the B20F (8.7/1 compression) at the same time. For emissions certification purposes this would make sense for Volvo to keep costs in line.

Carb B20s were on the early 240s

In the U.S. K-Jet pushrod B20Fs were a first year only configuration, in '75. The pushrod B20 was never again offered in U.S. spec 240s after '75. Also there were never any carb'd 240s in the 'States. All U.S. 240s had the OHC Redblock engine starting with the B21 in '76 in one injected form or another all the way to the final year of production in '93.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
My one owner '73 145 is D-Jet equipped. My guess is that all of the U.S. models of the 140 series got access to the D-Jet B20E (10.5/1 compression) and then in '73 to the B20F (8.7/1 compression) at the same time. For emissions certification purposes this would make sense for Volvo to keep costs in line.

In the U.S. K-Jet pushrod B20Fs were a first year only configuration, in '75. The pushrod B20 was never again offered in U.S. spec 240s after '75. Also there were never any carb'd 240s in the 'States. All U.S. 240s had the OHC Redblock engine starting with the B21 in '76 in one injected form or another all the way to the final year of production in '93.
Turns out I have a lot more electrical schematics than I first realized. I also have a Haynes 140 Service Manual which covers the full range of 140s - sort of. In the models covered by the Haynes manual it lists both UK and USA models. For the UK it lists a 145, 145S and a 145 E (not sure what the difference is between 145 and 145S). For the USA it lists, starting in 1973 a 145 and a 145E and there is a footnote that infers that California only received fuel injected models. Prior to 1973 it was only a 145S that was available. From this I infer that the 145E started in 1973; but, might have been a California only product with the rest of North America getting the 145. From the Haynes manual, I cannot determine whether the UK 145E started in 1971. The Haynes manual does not include a wiring diagram for a 145E.

If you check the VIN on your car it may yield some clues about availability. The VIN will have 7 or 8 digits followed by the serial number and for your 145 should be something like this 1456xxxx. The 145 because its a 145 and the 6 because its a B20F. The 5th and 6th numbers are body and transmission details. The 7th number is market. If the 7th number is a 3 that means LHD not California. A 4 means LHD California only. If you have a 4 in your VIN, that suggests that perhaps only California received the 145E. If you have a 3, then that confirms that the 145E would have been available outside of California.

As best as I can remember, Canadian 240s also only used the B20F in 1975. However, the B21 was available in the low cost models with a carb, no catalytic converter and less horsepower until at least the end of the decade.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you check the VIN on your car it may yield some clues about availability. The VIN will have 7 or 8 digits followed by the serial number and for your 145 should be something like this 1456xxxx. The 145 because its a 145 and the 6 because its a B20F. The 5th and 6th numbers are body and transmission details. The 7th number is market. If the 7th number is a 3 that means LHD not California. A 4 means LHD California only. If you have a 4 in your VIN, that suggests that perhaps only California received the 145E.
I know my car was sold originally in the south San Francisco Bay area. And review of the VIN confirms the 7th digit is indeed a 4.

Here are some interesting links WRT this topic that I found by searching the Volvo USA Customer Help web site. I didn't do a complete search, just enough to know that they have a pretty complete library, at least for the 140 series cars. The Specification link at the main page shows only B20F for the '73 140 series.
1971 Volvo 145 Manual
1972 Volvo 145 Manual
1973 Volvo 145 Manual
1974 Volvo 145 Manual

If you check out the Engine page in each of the manuals you'll find factory wiring diagrams.

I hope that you have as much fun searching through this Volvo site as I have tonight. Enjoy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Forum;

I need years of carbed 14XS and Injected 14XE for the purpose of adding a representative Wiring Diagrams of each to the SW-EM Site. I already have a carbed WD posted, but would like to know when 140s got injection, and would like to post a WD also. I realize there may be variations with country of delivery.

TIA
I'm really late to the thread, but your site has helped me a few times, and I just found this post, so I'm happy to offer up the diagram I use for my 1973 145 with D-jet. I've colored in many of the circuits for my own reference. I used purple to replace white.
wiringdiagram.pdf

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all for chiming in with info...I realize there are variations, so I'll have to post a representative WD or maybe two. Cheers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts