SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2011 S80 can be stolen if the engine is running and keyfob isn't in the car, so I can't leave the car with engine on, doors can't be locked too! I tried this twice and if I leave the key fob to another person, I can run away with the car without any problem! As long as you don't stop the engine you can travel across Canada with no problem! Just enough to reach the chop shop! LOL
Anyone has this problem or someone played with the car software if is possible to do so? I couldn't find anything with VIDA!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
yes, but a stupid one, other brands don't allow that, when touching the brake pedal kills the engine! A coworker has ford and dodge cars with keyfob and can not be stolen while the engine is on! This is a real issue in Canada where in winter time we need to warm up the car! This is unacceptable, but next week I'll go to the dealership to buy some stuff and see what is their reason for this stupidity, after that, I'll make a complaint to the Consumer Council.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
Are you sure you are not talking about cars with remote start installed? It is typical for the brake pedal to shut off the engine for remote start systems.

The reason is simple: if there is a malfunction with the keyless system while driving and the car no longer detects the key, it isn't exactly safe to just shut it off immediately. If the Ford or Dodge systems you mention work the way you say, the car would shut of as soon as someone hits the brake if the key was no longer detected.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
It is against the law to leave the car idling for more than a few minutes where I live.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I don't know where you live, but in Alberta Canada, these days was -38C in the morning. It can't be used without warming or engine can be messed. Engine life is shortened a lot anyway. It's already a week of -27 to -38C, so I need to idle for a while and can't stay in a frozen car for 15 min. It's good for engine and transmission to get a bit warm before use, the oil will need some time to reach the camshafts. BTW oil viscosity is like honey and I use synthetic one. The car doesn't have a remote starter, but I expect to allow me to lock it from outside. When I forgot the key inside it refused to lock which is great, but when out of the car even from some distance can't be locked! This stupid car isn't for Canada! I'll get rid of it!

·
Registered
798 Posts
Sweden has snow and gets -20C to -30C in winter. Unfortunately, you purchased a model year that does not have the remote start function. Newer Volvos after 2011 have the remote start option. It works like you expect: https://youtu.be/Ya9U8L9Z_tA

·
Registered
798 Posts
The OP considers remote start a necessity, but did not buy a car with that feature. It is like buying a car without AC and complaining it will not stay cool in the summer.

In California and many other places, remote start is not a necessity. So, it is easy to see why Volvo does not allow a car to be locked when left running unattended. OP already noted one could lock themselves out with the key inside. Add children or pets to the scenario and it becomes dangerous. But mainly, people could die from carbon monoxide in their garages if there are no safeguards.

The actual remote start feature available in 2012 makes sure the vehicle is locked, but also shuts the engine off after 15 minutes. If the engine is running and you unlock the door, the engine automatically shuts off until started again normally.

I thought all Canadians were nice. Why are they stealing cars in -38C?

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I don't know where you live, but in Alberta Canada, these days was -38C in the morning. It can't be used without warming or engine can be messed. Engine life is shortened a lot anyway. It's already a week of -27 to -38C, so I need to idle for a while and can't stay in a frozen car for 15 min. It's good for engine and transmission to get a bit warm before use, the oil will need some time to reach the camshafts. BTW oil viscosity is like honey and I use synthetic one. The car doesn't have a remote starter, but I expect to allow me to lock it from outside. When I forgot the key inside it refused to lock which is great, but when out of the car even from some distance can't be locked! This stupid car isn't for Canada! I'll get rid of it!
I live where they call it the puffer law. https://law.justia.com/codes/colorado/2016/title-42/idling-standard/article-14/section-42-14-105/

I guess no car is for Canada unless it has a block heater, and an owner that dresses for the weather.

·
Registered
207 Posts
My 2011 S80 can be stolen if the engine is running and keyfob isn't in the car, so I can't leave the car with engine on, doors can't be locked too! I tried this twice and if I leave the key fob to another person, I can run away with the car without any problem! As long as you don't stop the engine you can travel across Canada with no problem! Just enough to reach the chop shop! LOL
Anyone has this problem or someone played with the car software if is possible to do so? I couldn't find anything with VIDA!
Easy solution, start your car, roll the window down, get out, reach in through the open window and hit the lock button from the outside, then roll the window up also by reaching in (using the one touch window function of course). Works on my S80 every time, just don't be an idiot and forget your keys in the cupholder (ask me how I know)

·
Registered
719 Posts
So with Volvo’s proximity key, you can’t take the fob with you and push the pad button on the door handle to lock it from the outside?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Wouldn't an engine block heater with a timer solve most of this issue, aside from a cold seat, steering wheel and interior space? At the very least, it should reduce your idling time and save you some gas.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Wouldn't an engine block heater with a timer solve most of this issue, aside from a cold seat, steering wheel and interior space? At the very least, it should reduce your idling time and save you some gas.
It does, and thats what I did, I have twin coolant heaters and an oil pan and transmission pan heater, along with a battery tender. I still let it warm up but only for about 5 minutes while I brush snow off, plug my phone in etc.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts