SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the middle of the PCV service and I have been unable to remove the dipstick tube after at least an hour pulling on the thing. It rotates and moves out a little, but I can't get the xxxxer out and at 14 years and 165k miles I am concerned with breakage when trying to force anything. I am ready to reassemble, but can't do so until I pull the tube and install new o-ring.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

GLM

P.S. I thought I needed PCV service due to a small amount of oil pooling around the coils, but now I think it was just a bad oil filler cap gasket. Everything I removed was surprisingly clean with no gunk build-up. I guess regular oil changes with synthetics its whole life paid off.

·
Registered
144 Posts
You can try shooting a little break cleaner down there to try and free it up a little bit but yeah they they can come out pretty tough sometimes just twisting pull hat the same time

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
For me, it is as simple as undoing the 10mm bolt on the intake manifold (which is already done, as you should have it removed for the PCV refresh). Then it pull straight up and out.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For me, it is as simple as undoing the 10mm bolt on the intake manifold (which is already done, as you should have it removed for the PCV refresh). Then it pull straight up and out.
Lucky for you, but that hasn't been my experience today. I've got the air intake, throttle body, intake manifold, and the PCV system out, and nothing between the dipstick tube and the block. The 10mm bolt came off a long time ago. Worked around the dipstick tube while I took everything else out.

GLM

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can try shooting a little break cleaner down there to try and free it up a little bit but yeah they they can come out pretty tough sometimes just twisting pull hat the same time

Thanks, I've tried various lubricants and will try some brake cleaner.

GLM

·
Registered
144 Posts
Then put some lithium assembly grease back on the new ring. And you shouldn't have that problem agsin.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Then put some lithium assembly grease back on the new ring. And you shouldn't have that problem agsin.

Thanks

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Half an hour after sitting with brake cleaner did the trick. Still took a good pull, but finally came out. Will need to do a good job cleaning the junk out and not let it get down into the oil It was full of grime and grit.

Thanks. Now I can start reassembly.

GLM

1 - 8 of 8 Posts