SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi first time post after joining four years ago but have been lurking the forums. My 2018 XC60 has been performing well until the 4 yr. warranty expired six months ago. It has only 48,000 km.The evaporator pipe had to be replaced costing C$450. Last weekend it would not start and had to be towed to my dealer which is 70km from where I live. They have tried to diagnose the problem for the last few days without success. I am having second thoughts about my purchase because of the reliability issue.

· Registered
172 Posts
Hi first time post after joining four years ago but have been lurking the forums. My 2018 XC60 has been performing well until the 4 yr. warranty expired six months ago. It has only 48,000 km.The evaporator pipe had to be replaced costing C$450. Last weekend it would not start and had to be towed to my dealer which is 70km from where I live. They have tried to diagnose the problem for the last few days without success. I am having second thoughts about my purchase because of the reliability issue.
...do you have the T5, the T6, or the hybrid?

· Registered
2022 XC60 T8 Recharge
167 Posts
so was there any problem during the 4 years warranty period? I would purchase extended warranty if I am planning to keep the car longer that the warranty period especially for European Brands.

· Registered
10,120 Posts
Has your Volvo been exclusively dealer serviced? If it's anything major, given that the 4 yr warranty isn't long expired, you could ask the dealer request some good will on your behalf.

· Registered
172 Posts
It's a T6.
Your car's at the age/mileage where stuff you'll probably only have to fix once starts to need service or replacement, and those things are not necessarily on the maintenance schedule.

You can get ahead of that a little by finding out what owners of the same model, but earlier year cars are going through.

I'd be looking for something stupid, like a corroded or burnt electrical connector.

· Registered
1,453 Posts
I suggest you call Volvo USA and the evaporator pipe. That's a very frequent problem for xc60s (twice replaced on my 2019) so it is possible they'll goodwill it.

· Registered
898 Posts
CR and Edmunds list Volvo as on the low side of reliability. I don’t know why. I have had good luck with my V90, an S90 before and then four different XC70s and I ALWAYS buy used. I think stuff just happens, some buy extended warranties. I only buy those on my S class Mercedes which I buy three years old as CPOs. I had one BMW 535xi money pit, no warranty, never again.
I think if something breaks on my stuff, I fix it, go to Indy sometimes or service at dealer. My 40k service is coming up, I did air and cabin filters myself, definitely an easy savings there.

· Premium Member
5,472 Posts
Not many cars that I'd want to own new and want to own without a warranty. But 2 problems in 4 years is far less than average, so if that's giving you second thoughts I would start looking for something else.

· Registered
738 Posts
Any update on your issue? Your XC60 is at an age where there are battery issues as well.

· Registered
23 Posts
Sorry to hear about the issues but do keep us updated. I have a 2019 T6 with 95,000 Kms (also in Canada). Knock on wood everything's been good so hopefully once this issue of yours is fixed you'll have lots of worry free miles ahead (except i'm 100% sure my driver heated seat is nowhere as warm as before now that winter's here).

· Registered
1,453 Posts
CR actually has the XC60 as better than average in reliability. Volvo as a brand, in the last year, was roughly average in their survey but was brought down by one or two problematic models (XC90 mainly, which I don't understand as it is basically the same car as the XC60).

· Registered
172 Posts
CR actually has the XC60 as better than average in reliability. Volvo as a brand, in the last year, was roughly average in their survey but was brought down by one or two problematic models (XC90 mainly, which I don't understand as it is basically the same car as the XC60).
...you have to consider what CR was scoring to determine reliability. Air conditioning or infotainment system problems don't necessarily get weighted more or less, really, than say braking or drivetrain problems although the latter are more impactful to safety.

· Registered
10,120 Posts
Cars have problems. Some more than others, but I had my very fair share within the 160km / 100,000 mile warranty. So I'd say two issues in 48,000 km isn't bad.

If your repairs turns out to be substantial, it's likely Volvo would step up with some good will if you bought car new at a Volvo dealer and serviced with Volvo, too.

· Registered
1,453 Posts
...you have to consider what CR was scoring to determine reliability. Air conditioning or infotainment system problems don't necessarily get weighted more or less, really, than say braking or drivetrain problems although the latter are more impactful to safety.
CR's final "score" is based on a regression model that has different weights for different classes of problems. If you look at their tables, its all broken down by category, but the final score would weight drivetrain problems much more heavily than infotainment.

So, I don't think your post is quite correct.

· Registered
172 Posts
CR's final "score" is based on a regression model that has different weights for different classes of problems. If you look at their tables, its all broken down by category, but the final score would weight drivetrain problems much more heavily than infotainment.

So, I don't think your post is quite correct.
You're correct enough. I would not combine the categories, for technical reasons. Even though there is weighting, the category comparability is not necessarily corrected by any weighting at all. Overall, CR does a pretty good job and shares useful data, though. I've used it by reading the category scores and not getting so wrapped up in the overall rating, especially when the category scores reveal problems in, say, drivetrain or braking. The thing that is nice about CR's combined weighting -- it accounts for what I like to call "the mice that make the elephants stampede" in that there is some weight given to annoying but non-critical problems that drive people nuts.

· Registered
1,453 Posts
To put it in perspective the Nissan Rogue is one of CRs top picks.... Life is too short to read CR.
The Rogue is on CR's not recommended lists for poor reliability and is currently ranked 14th in the Compact SUV category.

CR is just one source of information - and should be read with some skepticism. Its still the best source of reliability data out there though.

I've been a subscriber for 30 years. Big fan of that publication, but its got limits.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts