SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got my 2010 V8 in February. After a few months, it started having issues starting. Like I'd have to push the start button twice, or three times. Seemed like the battery was fading. So I bought a new battery (at AutoZone, shame on me). Everything was fine for a few months. Now, its started doing the same thing - starting slowly, seems like a weak battery in the mornings. Then, I left it at the airport for 6 days and when I got back it was completely dead. Had it jumped and drove it home - about 20 minutes. Next morning, there is almost no charge and the car wouldn't start. AutoZone "says" the battery is fine ... so that pretty much leaves the alternator or regulator, right? Note - I normally only drive 10 minutes each way to work - with stereo blasting, AC on, seats massaging, etc. Maybe that isn't enough time to get the battery charged? Or the alternator or regulator is fading? Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Sounds more like you have a closed circuit current draw. 10 minute drive should be enough to keep the battery charged. Basically something is draining after the engine is shut down and key removed. I doubt is alternator or regulator as your issue is after vehicle sits overnight and doesn't die while driving which tends to mean its charging just fine. Still could be a faulty battery but I would have it tested for the draw.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can I test for a closet circuit current draw with a multimeter?

Sounds more like you have a closed circuit current draw. 10 minute drive should be enough to keep the battery charged. Basically something is draining after the engine is shut down and key removed. I doubt is alternator or regulator as your issue is after vehicle sits overnight and doesn't die while driving which tends to mean its charging just fine. Still could be a faulty battery but I would have it tested for the draw.

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
So I got my 2010 V8 in February. After a few months, it started having issues starting. Like I'd have to push the start button twice, or three times. Seemed like the battery was fading. So I bought a new battery (at AutoZone, shame on me). Everything was fine for a few months. Now, its started doing the same thing - starting slowly, seems like a weak battery in the mornings. Then, I left it at the airport for 6 days and when I got back it was completely dead. Had it jumped and drove it home - about 20 minutes. Next morning, there is almost no charge and the car wouldn't start. AutoZone "says" the battery is fine ... so that pretty much leaves the alternator or regulator, right? Note - I normally only drive 10 minutes each way to work - with stereo blasting, AC on, seats massaging, etc. Maybe that isn't enough time to get the battery charged? Or the alternator or regulator is fading? Thoughts?
do you have satellite radio?

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
You sure can. Setup the meter for for mA. Roll windows down, open trunk and close the trunk latch so the car thinks its closed. Remove the negative battery cable. Connect the meter leads between the disconnected cable and the negative battery terminal. You should see the current draw on the meter. Using the remote, lock the doors. The meter should spike while everything locks, then it should slowly start coming down as different modules shut down. Once the canbus shuts down, the vehicle should be in "sleep mode". Usually take about 20 minutes and iirc should be less than 40-50 mA. I think it is usually about 28 mA. If its around 120 mA, could be a small bulb somewhere that is on. If its 400 mA or more, it could be a module not shutting down and keeping the canbus live and talking so it may be a faulty module. Which one is determined by pulling fuses and watching the meter to see if it makes any difference. Alarm sirens can cause draws as well as door locks, hood latches, trunk latches and wiring, UEM's, window switches, basically anything.

Hopefully your meter can handle 10-15 Amp on the mA circuit. If not, a different meter may be needed or a shunt wired in series

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think it's an option, right, but I don't think I have the module. I read something about the satellite radio searching for signals when the car is off, but I'm guessing that can't happen without the module installed.

do you have satellite radio?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome. I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

You sure can. Setup the meter for for mA. Roll windows down, open trunk and close the trunk latch so the car thinks its closed. Remove the negative battery cable. Connect the meter leads between the disconnected cable and the negative battery terminal. You should see the current draw on the meter. Using the remote, lock the doors. The meter should spike while everything locks, then it should slowly start coming down as different modules shut down. Once the canbus shuts down, the vehicle should be in "sleep mode". Usually take about 20 minutes and iirc should be less than 40-50 mA. I think it is usually about 28 mA. If its around 120 mA, could be a small bulb somewhere that is on. If its 400 mA or more, it could be a module not shutting down and keeping the canbus live and talking so it may be a faulty module. Which one is determined by pulling fuses and watching the meter to see if it makes any difference. Alarm sirens can cause draws as well as door locks, hood latches, trunk latches and wiring, UEM's, window switches, basically anything.

Hopefully your meter can handle 10-15 Amp on the mA circuit. If not, a different meter may be needed or a shunt wired in series

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
I think it's an option, right, but I don't think I have the module. I read something about the satellite radio searching for signals when the car is off, but I'm guessing that can't happen without the module installed.
you should confirm for sure because there was a well documented TSB about this, whether you subscribe or not if you have the module you could be affected.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Hopefully this is not the Alarm module finally going bad.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I wonder how you made out, TN-S80...

I've had my car for nearly 9 months now, and the start has always been pretty anemic sounding, only I didn't know it because I had nothing to compare it to.
4 or 5 months ago, my mechanic said I needed a new battery (even though it tested as good), so a friend replaced it for me. Turns out it wasn't the correct size and in his defense, he is about as mechanically inclined as I am, which is not very.

Anyway, I just had it replaced again with the correct size, and the start is energetic and robust. However, I still have an occasional hiccup, or pause at the start (it is happening more and more often). Sometimes I have to press the button again to get it to fire up.

And that is the starter motor on its way out. So, I will be replacing that soon, as well. It will be nice to have a fully functioning start for a change, but maybe you have a couple of things going on at the same time like I did.

·
Registered
462 Posts
My Volvo battery (made in Mexico) finally died today after being in the car for 90K miles and 3.5 years. The symptoms were slow cranking (been doing this for a while) and my son accidentally ran it down at school the other day (displayed "Low Voltage" message also at this point). I charged it up overnight on the bench and it worked fine for a few days till yesterday.

Basically, the dash lights and automatic headlights would come on but it would labor so hard in trying to crank that it would not even turn the engine over. I was worried that it might be the starter (original) but replacing the battery seems to have done the trick.

After a bunch of research (typical for me), I went with the WalMart EverStart Maxx-H6 battery with 3 years free replacement, 2 years prorated after that. This was a Consumer Reports Best Buy of the Group 48 bunch.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-MAXX-H6-Automotive-Battery/16782658

So far so good!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well ... I still haven't hooked the multimeter up. It's been acting ok except for one other 4-day airport parking. When I got back, it was dead again. But normally I drive it every day, and it seems to be fine for a day or two. I WILL hook up the multimeter and report back when I get a chance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts