SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife and I have two children still in bulky car seats and a 100 lbs German Shepherd. I also have 2 adults who periodically visit us and need to be in the car with all for 15-20 minute rides. Regarding that, I have a few questions, hopefully from those with experience.

1. In the 2nd row, can I fold only the middle seat?
2. If so, can a nimble adult squeeze though for a ride in the 3rd row once in a while?
3. Are there other ways to access the 3rd row while child car seats are installed?
4. Can a large dog fit when the 3rd row is up?
5. Does anybody have experience traveling (and hence comments, suggestions) while having the 3rd row folded filled with luggage, stroller, and dog?
6. The rubber floor mats accessory - are these for front, middle and 3rd row?
7. The cargo tray plastic - are the ridges high? I am concerned if it will annoy/hurt my dog when she lays on it.
8. I will likely keep the 3rd row down most of the time. Are the seat backs fabric? I am concerned of dog hair being stuck in these, do you know of a solution? Ideally I solution that both protects the cargo floor and seat backs without "seems".

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I'm curious about the answers to these as well. I have the rubber mats and keep the third row down most of the time. The mats cover the entire cargo area. With the third row up the space is significantly decreased- it would depend on the size of the dog and the duration of the trip but certain dogs would not be comfortable.

I thought I had gotten the largest rubber mat set but mine does not cover the second row folded down. Can anyone else confirm this? Is there a mat that covers it? From what I could tell even weather tech does not offer one. I want one! The ridges on mine are not high at all and the plastic is pretty soft.

Oh for the floor mats- you can get them for every row, there's multiple sets so just make sure you have the right one. The third row might be seperate.

The seat backs are carpeted. There's an accessory called cargo liner I think that covers the backs of the seats as well as the sides of the compartment. I think it's a soft vinyl.

I don't even know off the top of my head if the middle second row folds independently so I'm curious about those questions.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
The wife and I have two children still in bulky car seats and a 100 lbs German Shepherd. I also have 2 adults who periodically visit us and need to be in the car with all for 15-20 minute rides. Regarding that, I have a few questions, hopefully from those with experience.

1. In the 2nd row, can I fold only the middle seat?
2. If so, can a nimble adult squeeze though for a ride in the 3rd row once in a while?
3. Are there other ways to access the 3rd row while child car seats are installed?
4. Can a large dog fit when the 3rd row is up?
5. Does anybody have experience traveling (and hence comments, suggestions) while having the 3rd row folded filled with luggage, stroller, and dog?
6. The rubber floor mats accessory - are these for front, middle and 3rd row?
7. The cargo tray plastic - are the ridges high? I am concerned if it will annoy/hurt my dog when she lays on it.
8. I will likely keep the 3rd row down most of the time. Are the seat backs fabric? I am concerned of dog hair being stuck in these, do you know of a solution? Ideally I solution that both protects the cargo floor and seat backs without "seems".
The middle second row seat can be folded independently of the two side seats. We have done this and my 10 year old used it to climb to the third row. But it would be very unpleasant for an adult or even a teen to do this. It's not a minivan -- far less ground to ceiling clearance -- you're crawling beside the seats with no gap below them.

Another way to access the third row, at least for 1 person, is the drop the other half of the third row down and have your kid crawl in from the hatchback. We've done this too. Again, not great for an adult.

In my opinion there is no adult-friendly way to access the third row if both second row side seats have carseats attached. It's not impossible, but extremely inconvenient. In a pinch, sure. But as a regular thing, not so much.

You're asking if a 100 lbs dog can fit behind the third row? Perhaps but it would be tight. The dog would not even be able to move side-to-side. The depth is just be enough for a carry-on suitcase to be sideways. A smaller dog, sure.

We travel with our dog all the time -- in our other cars. We haven't wanted to subject the perforated leather seats in the new Volvo to our dog yet.

The back side of the third row seats are carpet, not fabric.

good luck.

·
Registered
54 Posts
4. You mean behind the 3rd row? Definitely not. Behind the second row no problem.

There is 15.4 cubic feet behind the 3rd row. We drive a BMW X3 with 27.6 cubic feet behind the second row and while our Tervuren fits nicely back there, your GSD would not.

We are looking at the XC90 because we need to occasionally transport 4-5 adults plus two dogs (the Terv and a Malinois that are each ~65-70lbs) but that is with the third row folded flat and a pet barrier behind the second row.

What you need to meet your requirements is basically a Suburban with seating for eight and 39.3 cubic feet of space for the dog behind the third row.

·
Registered
372 Posts
For the cargo mat, there are 2 options. One for a 5 seater and the 7 seater XC90. The 7 seat version comes with 3 pieces for the cargo mat so it allows you to cover the entire are with the 2nd row folded down. If you have only the 3rd row folded, then you use 2 pieces, and so on. Below is the link for the 2 options for the cargo mats. There are also other options for covering the cargo are as well including the new cover that covers everything in the back to add protection from cargo.

http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-us/XC90(16-)/Accessories/Document/VCC-482314/2016/T6/Automatic

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
For the cargo mat, there are 2 options. One for a 5 seater and the 7 seater XC90. The 7 seat version comes with 3 pieces for the cargo mat so it allows you to cover the entire are with the 2nd row folded down. If you have only the 3rd row folded, then you use 2 pieces, and so on. Below is the link for the 2 options for the cargo mats. There are also other options for covering the cargo are as well including the new cover that covers everything in the back to add protection from cargo.

http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-us/XC90(16-)/Accessories/Document/VCC-482314/2016/T6/Automatic
Yeah thats why I'm confused- I have the 3 pc mat but it only covers the third row folded down. And the cargo liner is the same deal I think.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
You're asking if a 100 lbs dog can fit behind the third row? Perhaps but it would be tight. The dog would not even be able to move side-to-side. The depth is just be enough for a carry-on suitcase to be sideways. A smaller dog, sure.
What citivas said. I would not put my German Shepherd there even though she weighs 82 lbs. Even though she may fit, I would be worried of any injuries she would suffer if I got rear ended at a high speed (or any speed) not to mention that she could become a projectile...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Seating configurations, floor mats, cargo liners and traveling with a large d...

I have two child seats in the outer second row for a 4 and 2 year old and my 11 and 9 year olds are fine getting into the third row with the middle seat folded down. It's not ideal but saves having to remove the child seat every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
I will use 2 booster seat cushions for shorter trips (pre-school, school run) as they can just be lifted to get easy access to the 3rd row (where I will keep a couple of spare cushions as most kids that travel with us are 5-10 years old). For longer trips I also have 2 full seats with ISO-fix that I will use, mostly because the kids sleep safer and better in those.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I can't even remember if the third row seats can be dropped independently from one another? If so that could be a solution for the dog plus 4 adults and two kids in a pinch. Obviously not ideal but if I wanted a compact SUV but needed that very occasional functionality that might be the ticket.

Thought of this cause I believe the dog crate accessory thing occupies half of the full size (third seat down) cargo area.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I can't even remember if the third row seats can be dropped independently from one another? If so that could be a solution for the dog plus 4 adults and two kids in a pinch. Obviously not ideal but if I wanted a compact SUV but needed that very occasional functionality that might be the ticket.

Thought of this cause I believe the dog crate accessory thing occupies half of the full size (third seat down) cargo area.
This approach might work. All the seats in the second and third rows can be raised or lowered independently. The only question is whether the dog will fit in that area (~21 cubic feet on the one side plus another ~8 behind the third row seat remaining upright). The width of that space at the floor would be ~21" wide and 45" to the second row seats.

Probably would work even if the dog has to enter one direction and leave the other.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts