SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The plastic guide trim (on the B pillar) for my driver seatbelt broke off. About to order a new one, but I have some questions.

What is the procedure to replace it? The new piece looks like a one-piece design. I know I have to remove the seatbelt. Do I remove the torx bolt from the bottom of driver seat to remove the belt and feed the belt through the new guide trim? Based on what I see, it looks like guide trim opening is not large enough to slide some of the thicker parts of the seatbelt (if I were to feed it from the torx bolt end)

Any insight would be helpful. Replacement seems easy enough, but need some clarifications.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the video. I did watch it prior to posting, but apparently I needed to watch it in full, as the most important part for me was the end; which of course I didn't watch the first time (seatbelt can be unclipped from bottom of seat without removing torx screw).

Do I need to disconnect the battery for this? I some people on other threads saying its a must. For what reason?

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Any work anywhere around the SRS or safety system should ideally have the battery disconnected to avoid accidently throwing a code which will require a Volvo-centric tool to erase.

If all you're going to do is pop the b-pillar cover and do a new guide (selector gate), you can get away with doing the work with battery connected. Be careful that you don't unplug anything electrical just to play it safe.

PNs here- https://parts.volvocarslisle.com/a/..._51956_5697849/Front-seat-belt/GR-330219.html , interior code is on the vehicle placard (driver side top fender under hood or rear of pass side B-pillar- TBD based on MY) if it's required.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any work anywhere around the SRS or safety system should ideally have the battery disconnected to avoid accidently throwing a code which will require a Volvo-centric tool to erase.

If all you're going to do is pop the b-pillar cover and do a new guide (selector gate), you can get away with doing the work with battery connected. Be careful that you don't unplug anything electrical just to play it safe.
Got it on electrical.

As for the install, I was hoping to install without removing the b-pillar, as the gate trim is just pushed into the front of the pillar. I am hoping to disconnect the seatbelt from the bottom of the seat and slide the gate through that end of the seat belt. But I am not sure if there will be obstacles in sliding the gate through that end of the belt.

As far as I an tell, the gate is a one piece design, so I have to slide the seathbelt through the opening.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Been a while since I did one, have done three over the years (3L, 1R) on mine and even have a spare in the garage.

Always good to have a look at the original post- your current part is broken. If you're able to get then entire part out, I think you're good to go in slapping a new one right back in.

Working part has a break at top (look at the other side), you flex and the belt slides in. The see how the tabs on the new part lay out and put it securely into the panel. Make sure everything is solid, once the part is properly in it won't come back out from the front without some very clever prying.

Give that a try, see how far you get. Once you have the part in your hand, I think it'll be more intuitive. You can always pull the panel but don't believe for this one it's warranted.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for that info. The part arrives tomorrow, so I'll have a better understanding. Based on pictures it looks like a one-piece design. But if there is an opening, that would be immensely helpful.

·
Registered
106 Posts
This is helpful. My B pillar is chewed up and I was thinking of replacing it. Dont know why this B pillar got so chewed up, compared to other cars.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Thanks for that info. The part arrives tomorrow, so I'll have a better understanding. Based on pictures it looks like a one-piece design. But if there is an opening, that would be immensely helpful.
This trim installation is a 1-min job...if you are careful.

I could not find any DIY so I broke on tiny tab, no big deal it still sits squarely.
But look at the new part and pay attention to the tiny tabs.
Make sure you slide it in without breaking the tiny tabs.

In the photo below (LEFT Front Seat Belt Trim)...
- The RED arrow is the one to be careful about, slide this in first.
- Then gently squeeze the side to allow the other tabs (BLUE arrows) to get in.

Trim.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts