SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. My 1999 C70 Convertible has recently encountered a serious problem and I would like some advice if anyone has any to share.<p>My husband was driving the car alone and got into it after going to a store. He started the car then clicked his seatbelt into place. Upon clicking it he heard an explosion about the size of a nail gun from the back seat and smelled gunpowder. He was alarmed but so baffled there wasn't any action to take so he started back toward work. Within thirty seconds there was another explosion--and he was snapped back hard by his seatbelt (car moving, no impact of any kind). He called me and I called a small Volvo shop--we ordered new seatbelt part ($267) for driver's side seatbelt. SRS light (not urgent) came on.<p>Two days later it was necessary to drive the car and we both got in. I drove. My husband was strapped into the front passenger seat Twenty-five miles into the drive (45 or 50 mph, light traffic, no impact or swerving) the passenger side seatbelt exploded and snapped him back hard into that seat.<p>We later determined all four seatbels have deployed. <p>We took the car to a major dealership rather than the small shop. They arranged a visit from a Volvo engineer who has taken the SRS module to Sweden to read the three events they found on the module. We have never had an accident of any kind with the car, clean VIN but did buy it used. <p>I would add that the front seat electronics have not worked for some time--as I drive the car most of the time it just hasn't been an issue.<p>Any ideas what is happening? Why is Volvo interested in reading these codes? Has anyone else had this happen?<p>Thanks.<p>

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Re: Seatbelt Pyrotechnic Problems SRS (Philomel)

I'm sorry to hear about your problem. It is quite strange. I don't know very much about the system, but it sounds like the impact sensors thought there was an accident. <p>You might have more luck with smart responses if you post this in the C70 forum here: <br> <A HREF="http://forums.swedespeed.com/zeroforum?id=26" TARGET="_blank">http://forums.swedespeed.com/zeroforum?id=26</A>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts