SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought this topic was discussed before but I can't find it.......On my wife's 2006 XC90, when she releases her seatbelt, the metal portion of the belt strikes the interior trim piece of the lock pillar as the belts retracts. These constant strikes are damaging the "cloth" attached to the pillar. <p>Has anyone had any luck getting this covered under warranty? thx

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Re: Seatbelt marring the trim of the lock pillar (Kodabear)

I remember this topic a while back. My pillar is starting to show some wear, too. <p>IIRC, it was repaired/replaced under warranty. I plan to have that done before the car is out of warranty.<br>

·
Registered
188 Posts

I remember very well having read about this topic. When I picked my 07 sport with 12k 6 weeks ago, that was the only sign of wear in and out of the car, leather seats, carpets, headliner, everything was brand new condition, however and only in the driver side the pillar cloth is all damaged. <br>I recalled in the previous post this was pointed out as design issue, but don't recall at all someone having had it fixed under warranty. I would be very interested to hear about this being covered by warranty.<p>In the meantime i glued very carefully some holes in the cloth so it does't break more ... and I take the time to carefully place the seatbealt back when i go out of the car (and asked the wife to do the same). Really bad design, not the way it should work.<br><BR><BR>
<i>Modified by Asfalto at 8:11 AM 6-30-2009</i>

·
Registered
111 Posts
Re: Seatbelt marring the trim of the lock pillar (Asfalto)

Yes, mine has the same problem. I hadn't thought about getting it fixed under warranty though. I will give it a try. When I was searching for one I had noticed that almost all of the ones I looked at that were two years old had this wear point. I agree, very bad design, to cause that much damage in two years. Even if it does get fixed under warranty it doesn't solve the problem. I too try to be very careful with the seat belt though. <p>I suggested an aftermarket fix to the folks at IPD, like a color matched plastic trim piece fitted to the pillar. They gave me a very positive response and said they had noticed that problem too, and would look into it. I have not seen anything yet. Maybe if some other folks here asked them about that, they might see a worthwhile market to pursue the idea. <p>But it is a ridiculous flaw in design.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Seatbelt marring the trim of the lock pillar (aintsheswede)

Well, I dropped the car off today at the dealership. The Service Manager "thinks" he will be able to cover both pillars under warranty but it would be a "one time gesture" only. I will post the outcome once I get the car back.........................

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Our XC90 has the same issue on both sides as well as my mom's S80, it has the same problem. <p>My R, however, has plastic covering that pillar instead of fabric.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Same problem here<p><A HREF="http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=91827" TARGET="_blank">http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=91827</A>

·
Registered
827 Posts
Re: (al_bcn)

<p>The solution is not to just let go of the belt. Ease it up a little, it is a user inflicted item.<p>Ours still look new.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Re: (dmd)

Dmd,<br>I agree that is the solution. I for one have always not let the seat belt snap back on any of my vehicles over the years. Yes once in a while there is a slip, but not often. But this problem is not an anomaly. I must have looked at 50-60 XC90s over six months, all with 35k or less, and 1-3 years old, and the vast majority of them had that problem. Bad enough that it even shows up a bit on dealer website pics if they are not very careful of camera angle. <p>You should never let the belt snap back. But then again, the design of a $45k plus vehicle ought to be well engineered enough that the pillar should not be thrashed in 2 years or less. If this had only been the case on a couple of vehicles, that would be different. But there are many folks here with the same problem, and since according to some posters, Volvo has replaced serveral on warranty, it is a case of sloppy design. I believe someone posted that at some point Volvo changed the design of the S80 with a plastic piece up the pillar, which seems to point to some acknowledgement on their part that it has been a problem. Much like the change to the off black top of dash on 07s even if they come with the taupe interior to reduce reflection. <p>Again I totally agree you should never let the belt snap back as a matter of habit. But the engineering needs to take that possibility into account. I have a 23 year old 740 that doesn't have that problem. <p>I just think for as long as these have been on the market, and since the certainly aren't breaking the bank on changes every year, this is something that should have been fixed early on in the run, and honored under warranty. <p>Thanks.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Re: (aintsheswede)

I agree with all the comments posted here, but has anyone attempted their own fix? What was done and was it successful?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Re: (JimJa1943)

I haven't tried, but don't konw if there is anything I can really do because of the way its chewed up. <p>But, as I said in an earlier post, if lots of folks start mentioning this to IPD (or similar company for that matter), they may decide there is enough of a market for them to make an aftermarket trim piece that would be a long term solution. <p>Having Vovlo replace the part doesn't keep it from happening again over time. <p>In addition to snapping back causing the damage, I am thinking that just rubbing against the buckle getting in and out of the car may be part of the problem too. Have to check that out. <p>

·
Registered
22 Posts

on the off chance someone at IPD (or whomever) is reading... I'll add my tally mark. I'd buy a solution if it looked good and protected well.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
Re: (bakerzdosen)

had mine replaced under warranty. no fuss from the dealer about it and they had about 40 pairs in stock. no kidding

·
Registered
111 Posts
Re: (njb8199)

If anyone is interested, I think I found the cause. Not so much letting the belt snapping back. When that happens it hits higher than the damaged area. It appears to happen when exiting the car after the belt is retracted. What happens is that if you are not careful you can rub the buckle against the fabric on the pillar when getting out. Especially if you don't let it retract all the way. I suspect it happens more frequently with taller folk who have the seat back a ways, which means causes you to rub against the pillar. <p>Although my pillar was damaged when I purchased the car, I noticed I have tendency to let the belt retract till it is still across my left shoulder, then when I get out it will roll against the pillar. <br>Just my observation.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Well, the dealer recently agreed to replace the trim pieces under warranty. They called it a "one time offer only" meaning if we continue to nick the new trim pieces they will not replace them again.

·
Registered
272 Posts
The seatbelt buckle also bashes up the door around the lock pin.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Interesting, I'm driving the dealer's 2009 RDesign demo and noticed the same exact thing (and this car has very few miles on it!). Picking up my 2010 TODAY! (!!) and will have to figure out how to keep this from happening.

·
Registered
953 Posts

I used a "transparency" plastic that was lying around, cut it to size and jammed it in between the two doors with my second xc

·
Registered
111 Posts
Re: (al_bcn)

Had mine into dealer Friday. They are replacing the part on both sides. Said Volvo covers it one time. Guess I better come up with a plastic cover or something before it gets thrashed again. Haven't checked with IPD in awhile. They were going to look into it.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts

In guaranty time I also request and they change driver side belt cover.<br>After 1 year plastic is the same ruined. Shame from Volvo.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts