SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two 2004 V70R's and both have a defective drivers side seat warmer. On my daily driver, it was burning my leg on the left side bolster before shorting out. Luckily my leather did not get burned through like other peoples did. On my other one, it did not make a hole in the leather, but did make a hard spot as if the the material melted underneath.

My local dealership said that this was not a known issue, but from hearing from several others here, it is fairly common.

Can everyone who has experienced a non working seat warmer or burnt leather hole in their R please post here. My hope is that if enough people have dealt with this issue, that it can be addressed by Volvo of America and be repaired under recall.

Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
210 Posts
My drivers seat just barely works. Just enough that I know it isn't shorted/burned out. I've read that there's a way to adjust the temp on them (if that's what's wrong) but I've read enough horor stories about them being too hot to bother with it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Count me in on this! I'm having the same problems. One day its fine or barely works and other times it gets so hot that it damn near burns the cheek before I can get it shut off. Glad to know I'm not the only one out there!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had this fixed by the dealer 2 months ago.
The bill said something like: defective or failed seat heater grid.
The drivers seat no longer got hot.
2004 v70r 85k miles

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had this fixed by the dealer 2 months ago.
The bill said something like: defective or failed seat heater grid.
The drivers seat no longer got hot.
2004 v70r 85k miles
Were you charged for this repair or was it repaired by dealership under "Goodwill"?

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Is this from the software change to increase the temp of the heater? For all you guys who bought used back in 2003 there were many complaints about the settings being too low on the seats, so many people went in and had the heat temps increased to max temp. Now all you guys buying used vehicles and burning your legs.

·
Registered
16,558 Posts
The seat heating element breaks after many years of use and it burns a hole where there is a break in the element. Happened on my 850 many years ago. I don't recall reading about it on the later X70's any now these cases with the R. Could be an expensive (or impossible) repair if the bottom seat cover needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Mine malfunctioned about a year and a half ago and burned my leg. Still have the pics and slight scar. Jim Fisher Volvo in PDX replaced the element, repaired the foam in the seat (whatever that means), but did not replace or fix the leather. I should have been more forward with them at the time, but I wasn't and now I have a dime size hole in my driver side bolster that I have to fix myself. The hole is defiantly not a product of wear and tear. It was caused by the element and should have been fixed by Volvo. I will spare everyone from the pics of my leg. :p

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good luck with the recall, honestly. With the collar sleeve/angle gear/DEM failures with these cars I doubt Volvo cares...
I agree that it might be a longshot, but if its deemed to be a safety issue, then perhaps the repair can be covered by Volvo. They did repair the heated seats on the 850 under recall years ago.

I do believe that Volvo is trying to increase its presence in the marketplace along with the goal of keeping its existing customers as "volvo for life".

My hope is that they will repair the seat warmers in my seats and also that current and future failures of R members can be fixed free under a TSB or something of that sort.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The drivers side seat heat in my 04 V70R (manufactured in 03) does not work either. No holes in the leather though.

Is there a write-up somewhere on how to fix this (in case Volvo should not care)?

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
A few years back I had a nice "burning" sensation occur in my drivers seats heating element. At first i just turned off the heater thinking it had just warmed up really quick but then I noticed that the leather was looking odd and eventually brought the car in.
Volvoville did the repair under warranty. They fixed the element and gave me a new leather seat bottom. Mind you I had a CPO warranty to 100K so I don't know about the regular warranty issue. Unfortunately my upper seat leather is in worse shape now than the lower and doesn't quite match but thats another issue...

·
Banned
3,515 Posts
I warned all against going to higher setting .... mine still works perfect, hot enough.
(I can already imagine a Recall-campaign to reinstall the exhaust-bracket).

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I warned all against going to higher setting .... mine still works perfect, hot enough.
(I can already imagine a Recall-campaign to reinstall the exhaust-bracket).
Some of us bought the car second hand and didn't know about the settings. So spare us the lecture and sarcastic BS. Unless you're going to help on this thread please don't Troll.

·
Banned
3,515 Posts
Some of us bought the car second hand and didn't know about the settings. So spare us the lecture and sarcastic BS. Unless you're going to help on this thread please don't Troll.
I wasn't sarcastic, it are known facts. ciao dude

1 - 20 of 199 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.