SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys - hope everyone is off to a good start on their weekend. Just doing some research on seat options.

It looks like seat foams are going to run close to $400 for both front seats and that got me thinking about alternatives. Corbeau makes a brand new seat, in cloth, for just a bit more for example.

http://www.corbeau.com/product...ic_ii/

Any suggestions I should start checking into for me?

Thanks

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Seat options (gdill2)

Hi George!

I have the stock seats in the TR3, low back. I'm planning on swapping them out if I ever get her ready to actually be used. Low back seats make me nervous for street use.

I'd like to keep the stock seats and just clean the heck of the existing vinyl and get them re-foamed.

Anyway - my 122S is a coupe and has these seats (please excuse the dirt/dust)

·
Premium Member
19,954 Posts
Re: Seat options (tdskip)

Remember that any new seat (back) must tilt forward to allow access to the back seat.

Your original seats with new covers and new foam and new webbing would be a very good long-term option compared to all-new aftermarket seats.

BTAIM, my preference for an aftermarket cloth front seat would be an item with at least equivalent strength and safety features as the stock seat (adjustable headrest/lumbar, etc.).

Since your seats are not in real bad condition a much cheaper option would be slip-on seat covers.

George Dill

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Seat options (gdill2)

Hi George. Good point on the need for the to tilt!

I think I can save the vinyl covers, which I'm going to try and do since they are actually in decent shape and I generally prefer to try to keep the cars stock in appearance. And let;s just face it - those are very cool stock seats!

I think the foams are shot, and are a bit musty from the car not being stored well. I'm hoping I can take the existing black vinyl off and just get new, non-smelly, foams and re-use the existing covers.

If no one sells those foams I guess I'll have to take them to a local custom shop and see what they can come up with.

·
Premium Member
19,954 Posts
Re: Seat options (Walrus3)

Quote, originally posted by Walrus3 »
You can find bulk foam at a mattress shop or even WalMart and shape it with a good sharp knife. MUCH cheaper!
(think "Foam Mattress Pad")

This IS the only way to go!

Be sure to install new seat webbing - also available at Wal-mart as lawn chair repair ribbon.

George Dill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.