SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a TNN citing the whiplash protection system as the reason for some customers complaining of a seat clicking/popping sound. The fix should be covered under warranty and involves placing a piece of felt tape in a particular location.

Here's how you can do it yourself:

Step 1) Move the seat all the way forward and up as high as possible. There's a screw located at the front that you will have to remove.

Step 2) Remove the screw that holds the seat control panel in place.

Step 3) Remove the back of the seat control panel by pulling straight up from the very back edge. In the picture, you can see that it's held in place with a round clip-like thing attached to the SIPS tube. Lay the control panel down once you pull it off (you can leave the connectors on).

Step 4) Disconnect the seat belt. There is a small button in the middle of the attachment point that you simply have to press all the way in, the connector should lift straight out if the button is fully depressed.

Step 5) Remove the single screw holding this plastic cover and remove it. This cover hides the location where we will apply the felt tape.

Step 6) Now you should see something like this, with a metal piece located where the red dot is in my picture. In a rear-end collision, that piece of metal deforms and moves the backrest up and back to help prevent whiplash. You will want to apply felt tape in front of the red dot (see second picture), but to do so, you'll need another individual to lift the backrest (lifting from the backseat, between the seat cushion and the backrest) to give you enough space to insert the felt tape. This is very very difficult to do and you may only get a limited gap to push the tape into.

Step 7) Apply tape to the same location on the other side of the seat. This is where I gave up, because you're supposed to remove the center console to get more access area (which is incredibly difficult to do on 08+ models). I was able to push the seatbelt back and remove the plastic cover, but there just wasn't enough room for me to insert the felt strip.

Oh well, the noise did seem to go away though.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Thanks! Mine has been "clicking" for years.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
My garage simply puts fat/grease into that spot and the noise is gone for a long time...

Everytime I have my car serviced, they simply apply a dab of grease and the "ploping"/"cracking" noise has gone... :) Last time I heard it was about 100.000 km ago :D

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
Worked like a charm! Such an easy fix and now my car is quiet again, Thank you. If only we could eliminate the road noise from the Toyos...

However, I didn't use felt tape. I used a small piece of felt, "sawed" it back and forth until it was in place, and folded it over to keep it from moving about. It saved me the trouble of pulling the seat-back up and such.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Anyone mind posting a pic of where they put the felt? Can't figure it out for the life of me.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I tried that guide, still can't wrap my head around where i'm putting that felt as the seats a little different.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
I tried that guide, still can't wrap my head around where i'm putting that felt as the seats a little different.
The "pin" from the seat back slides in the "slot" of the seat bottom. This movement is part of the WHIPS system & may cause a knock/squeak.

Step #6 Using your He Man strength you pull the seat back (w/pin) out of the slot.
Step #8 You apply the felt from outside the slot, through the forward edge of the slot, into the inside of the slot.

You are simply trying to deaden/soften the blow of the pin moving within the slot. As mentioned, many people are happy with just an application of grease in this area.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Does anyone mind posting a picture of where they put the felt? I took the cover off (Step 5) and still lost.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Just a quick bump on this sticky: I've installed the felt for the WHIPS pin (as mentioned above), but that didn't solve my creaking. On retrospect, the WHIPS pins could only cause an issue from front-back motion. On both my P1's, I got nasty creaking from side-to-side movement.

What I found was that there are about a dozen of bushings and bolts that hold the WHIPS system together throughout the bottom of the seat. My creaking (from both my P1's) was from the lumber area. So I tried lubing the track - no change. Then I took the seat out and spent some time tightening all the fasteners I could get to and spraying teflon lube on everything. Solved it, now whisper quiet just like a Volvo should be.

Wish I had taken a picture but there are 2 large 17mm bolts that hold the lumber frame together right at the pivot joint. On my current p1, those were loose (previous p1 was fixed at an indy shop). I tightened those guys and sprayed lube on them for extra measure and I'm about 90% sure that's where the creaking was emanating. Just so you know.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just a quick bump on this sticky: I've installed the felt for the WHIPS pin (as mentioned above), but that didn't solve my creaking. On retrospect, the WHIPS pins could only cause an issue from front-back motion. On both my P1's, I got nasty creaking from side-to-side movement.

What I found was that there are about a dozen of bushings and bolts that hold the WHIPS system together throughout the bottom of the seat. My creaking (from both my P1's) was from the lumber area. So I tried lubing the track - no change. Then I took the seat out and spent some time tightening all the fasteners I could get to and spraying teflon lube on everything. Solved it, now whisper quiet just like a Volvo should be.

Wish I had taken a picture but there are 2 large 17mm bolts that hold the lumber frame together right at the pivot joint. On my current p1, those were loose (previous p1 was fixed at an indy shop). I tightened those guys and sprayed lube on them for extra measure and I'm about 90% sure that's where the creaking was emanating. Just so you know.
My seats also makes squeiking/cracking noises when i turn and my body leans from side to side.
What bolts am i tightening? Easy to get to? Where to lube?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
My seats also makes squeiking/cracking noises when i turn and my body leans from side to side.
What bolts am i tightening? Easy to get to? Where to lube?
just spray in all joints/hinges as per pictures above, with seat leaning max forward&backwards to expose them from all angles. Did that literally 2weeks ago, will last for another 6-8 months before reapply is needed but takes no time and effort comparing to proper "felt fix".

·
Registered
2 Posts
just spray in all joints/hinges as per pictures above, with seat leaning max forward&backwards to expose them from all angles. Did that literally 2weeks ago, will last for another 6-8 months before reapply is needed but takes no time and effort comparing to proper "felt fix".
What lube would you recommend? I read before someone said wd40 is not good.-

·
Banned
418 Posts
What lube would you recommend? I read before someone said wd40 is not good.-
This has been a great multipurpose grease. Water, heat, dielectric (electrical connector on the car, spark plug), washer or O-ring in faucets (Food Grade), door hinges and door seals on the car. Used it on the oil filter seal today when changing the oil.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This has been a great multipurpose grease. Water, heat, dielectric (electrical connector on the car, spark plug), washer or O-ring in faucets (Food Grade), door hinges and door seals on the car. Used it on the oil filter seal today when changing the oil.

Thank you for your answer!
The problem is im not gonna disassemble the seat, so I would need a spray lube.-

·
Banned
418 Posts
Thank you for your answer!
The problem is im not gonna disassemble the seat, so I would need a spray lube.-
You have at least 3 spray greases to choose from. I have both of these.

Lithium grease spray would be stickier and may work best in the long run. Silicone will not be messy nor as odorous and is safe around or used on plastics and even leather. For the leather I would spot test.

I have this grease in a tube and use it in older vehicles. It's used with a grease gun with a needle attachment. Inject this into CV Joints, Tie Rods, some Bushings or anything in the suspension with a joint. Extends the life of those older parts. Have recently mashed into an idler bearing for a serpentine belt starting to make noise. Put some on the outside of the bearing and cover with a nitrite glove and slowly work it in.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts