SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So by now I discovered that Volvo does many things the opposite as every car I ever drove.
Examples are the direction of light switch, direction of the wipers, and odometer reset.
Today, I realized that the button for the seat memory, has to be pressed UNTIL the seat gets into the saved position. It is absurd to be pressing a button for several seconds instead of a single touch like every other car has.
Do all Volvo’s act like this??

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
before you entering the car, only need a click to move it.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
So by now I discovered that Volvo does many things the opposite as every car I ever drove.
Examples are the direction of light switch, direction of the wipers, and odometer reset.
Today, I realized that the button for the seat memory, has to be pressed UNTIL the seat gets into the saved position. It is absurd to be pressing a button for several seconds instead of a single touch like every other car has.
Do all Volvo’s act like this??
You should really read the manual. These cars are very technologically advanced. I'm sure the engineers and designers had good reason for not automatically going to a certain position while the door is closed..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You should really read the manual. These cars are very technologically advanced. I'm sure the engineers and designers had good reason for not automatically going to a certain position while the door is closed..

I like to learn by using and understanding how things operate. I find it crazy that a car’s manual has over 600 pages.
I have no idea what the point is of that functionality. No other car manufacturer I ever drove has it. I see no point in it either.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I agree. Lots of oddball Design choices. At first I hated them but now I’m getting used to most. Maybe not the Nav, but most

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
If the other driver is smaller than you, when you realize you pressed the wrong button and seat is squeezing you, it is much easier to stop it by just moving finger away than pressing the other button.

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
If the other driver is smaller than you, when you realize you pressed the wrong button and seat is squeezing you, it is much easier to stop it by just moving finger away than pressing the other button.
Exactly. The reason is so that if you are driving and somehow accidentally push the button (or the wrong button), you aren't stuck getting smashed or pulled out of reach of the wheel and pedals while driving.

·
Registered
5,037 Posts

I like to learn by using and understanding how things operate. I find it crazy that a car’s manual has over 600 pages.
I have no idea what the point is of that functionality. No other car manufacturer I ever drove has it. I see no point in it either.
Really? Based on your other posts, it seems like you like to learn by trying to figure it out and then posting about it on here instead of reading the manual.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Save your profile, tie it to your key and forget about the seat memory buttons.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That’s precisely my point. I don’t like to read manuals, especially when they are over 600 big.
If I cannot figure it out, I research it online via google, you tube or forums.

·
Registered
170 Posts
That’s precisely my point. I don’t like to read manuals, especially when they are over 600 big.
If I cannot figure it out, I research it online via google, you tube or forums.
You do know the manual is available electronically and you it is searchable.

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
There is a better way... Sensus should be able to listen and understand questions and give an answer. Hope Android Sensus will be able to do so.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
95 Posts
Exactly. The reason is so that if you are driving and somehow accidentally push the button (or the wrong button), you aren't stuck getting smashed or pulled out of reach of the wheel and pedals while driving.
Wait, the buttons work while driving? So that’s different from other cars, too. The buttons are disabled in my Pathfinder while driving. Not sure about my Acura because, like the Volvo, the Acura seat positions are tied to the key fob so I never use them.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo XC60 Momentum T6
122 Posts
In my Lincoln MKC the memory buttons were also disabled when the transmission was not in either P or N. Just 1 quick press of the button was required regardless of whether the door was open or closed.

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
Wait, the buttons work while driving? So that’s different from other cars, too. The buttons are disabled in my Pathfinder while driving. Not sure about my Acura because, like the Volvo, the Acura seat positions are tied to the key fob so I never use them.

I haven't tried it on a SPA car, but they did on previous models.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
This is one of those little things that Volvo does differently dive to their safety philosophy, and one of the reasons why I love their cars. I don’t want my car to be like the other manufacturers or “just average”.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
before you entering the car, only need a click to move it.
+1
Between the two modes above (short press when outside, continued press when seated), I think is a reasonable implementation.

@OP, moving between 2 of the settings in my SPA xc90, the seat can end up moving very close to the steering wheel first as it changes elevation, before moving away from the steering wheel. If that were executed as a single through operation by a short press of the memory button, the driver could end up getting uncomfortably close to the steering wheel.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
+1
Between the two modes above (short press when outside, continued press when seated), I think is a reasonable implementation.

@OP, moving between 2 of the settings in my SPA xc90, the seat can end up moving very close to the steering wheel first as it changes elevation, before moving away from the steering wheel. If that were executed as a single through operation by a short press of the memory button, the driver could end up getting uncomfortably close to the steering wheel.
+2
If I switched seat memory while sitting in the driver seat - it'd crush me against the steering wheel before it descends and moves back.
This is why I don't understand why OP is deliberately ignoring the driver profiles...

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
+2
If I switched seat memory while sitting in the driver seat - it'd crush me against the steering wheel before it descends and moves back.
This is why I don't understand why OP is deliberately ignoring the driver profiles...
OP didn’t get to that part in the 600+ page manual either, lolz 😝

·
Registered
65 Posts
i actually see the seat movement actually smart and safe. you don't want to accidentally press a button and have the seat move to a weird position while driving. with the door open, the car knows you aren't moving or doing something that can cause and accident.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts