SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my V60 in the dealer a couple of months ago to have the dreaded oil consumption problem fixed, and had a couple of other things addressed when I was in there, including the driver's side heated seat no longer heating.

Fuses were fine, but a test showed it was super slow to heat -- enough that it would shut down before putting out any real warmth. The service adviser said they did something to the computer, but that did nothing. The next step is to have the seat taken apart and new heating elements installed, but I was quoted $1,700 for that -- for that much money I'll live with a cold butt. Unfortunately a used seat isn't really an option bc I have the beechwood interior and there just aren't many out there.

Figured I would ask the hive mind here if there is a known issue that is being overlooked.

Also, I'm finding one of the six windshield washer jets is misaimed and is going over the windshield. A quick internet search said to just use a needle to reaim it, but since I'm in here I figured I would ask if that's a common solution (would prefer not to try something I found on the internet and then require a trip to the shop to fix it).

·
Registered
14,741 Posts
The dealer probably tried to turn the heat up in VIDA but if it's just the driver side that is the problem then it probably does need a new heating element. Better that it not work than burn a hole in the seat cover that used to happen on the P80 and P2 cars when the element would break.

I don't know if you're a DIY'er but it's not terribly difficult to take it apart yourself and replace with the right tools and set of hog ring pliers and hog rings of course.

·
Registered
8,884 Posts
Also, I'm finding one of the six windshield washer jets is misaimed and is going over the windshield. A quick internet search said to just use a needle to reaim it, but since I'm in here I figured I would ask if that's a common solution (would prefer not to try something I found on the internet and then require a trip to the shop to fix it).
My car has been notorious for this problem. For now, take a need and place it into the nuzzle and then you can adjust them up or down. When you run out of washer fluid, I suggest trying to clean the lines by running warm distilled water through them. Generally, there is buildup I am told that causes the nozzles to adjust over time. Resulting in the nozzle eventually shooting over your vehicle.

·
Registered
8,884 Posts
The dealer probably tried to turn the heat up in VIDA but if it's just the driver side that is the problem then it probably does need a new heating element. Better that it not work than burn a hole in the seat cover that used to happen on the P80 and P2 cars when the element would break.

I don't know if you're a DIY'er but it's not terribly difficult to take it apart yourself and replace with the right tools and set of hog ring pliers and hog rings of course.
I imagine an alternate non DIY solution would be buy a heating element from Volvo Indy replace the heating coil. Probably run him far less, too.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Can't say I've ever delt with a concern about seat heater on your model Volvo.
I can say in general if the elements are bad they can be a challenge to replace. They are made with a fabric backing that has double stick tape to hold them to the foam cushions. After 5-6 years of heat and body weight they get good and stuck to the foam pads. Removal requires extreme patience and judicious application of heat with a heat gun. If not real careful the foam pads can become damaged requiring replacement. I know several techs in the shop that won't even try removing, they just go in with new elements and foam pads right from the start.
Another option might be to sublet to a local upholstery shop for the R&I, no doubt the better ones do them all the time.

As for the W/S washer nozzles, you can poke a needle in them for a temporary fix but that may not last long. To clean the water deposits from them best to use something harder than a needle or wire because it's easy to break off the tip and make things worse.
Best thing to use is something made of spring steel wire about 0.020" in dia.
I have a box full of old small coil springs in my collection and used one to make a suitable tool. Straighten out one end then rough the tip up on a bench grinder to give it some roughness and facets in order to better "ream" out the openings. I find after a good cleaning typically no aiming or adjustment is needed.
If they continue to clog regularly plan on taking the reservoir out for a fluid change and a good cleaning and be sure to flush the lines as well. Refill with distilled water to help prevent re-occurances.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the responses.

The dealer probably tried to turn the heat up in VIDA but if it's just the driver side that is the problem then it probably does need a new heating element.
Yup -- I couldn't remember exactly what the service adviser said, but I'm pretty sure that's what they tried. Since I'm not much of a DIYer (no garage, finished basement = nowhere to work, nowhere to store tools), based on the feedback here, I think I'm just going to have to live with a cold tuchus until my next car.

And I'll give a try cleaning out and repositioning the washer nozzle -- I may not be a DIYer, but that sounds pretty straightforward.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Could find a used seat any color and just swap the upholstery with your beechwood leather… that said, there is a ‘17 S60 with beechwood seats just gone for scrap in the Philadelphia area 😢

·
Registered
8,884 Posts
Could find a used seat any color and just swap the upholstery with your beechwood leather… that said, there is a ‘17 S60 with beechwood seats just gone for scrap in the Philadelphia area 😢
Very true. He could just have an upholsterer swap the seat cover onto the donor if he's nervous about doing so himself. Still probably run much cheaper than the $1700 from dealer.

Or he could have an Indy swap out the heating element.

Couple options here to avoid the dealer prices.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Buy a heated seat pad for $30 and plug it into the cigar lighter socket. Remove it in the summer. As for the washer nozzle, the one going over the windshield likely works well when at highway speeds. Maybe someone previously already adjusted it that way...

·
Registered
226 Posts
Very true. He could just have an upholsterer swap the seat cover onto the donor if he's nervous about doing so himself. Still probably run much cheaper than the $1700 from dealer.

Or he could have an Indy swap out the heating element.

Couple options here to avoid the dealer prices.
I'm actually planning a Beechwood swap myself- I have all the parts I need. I'm swapping the Beechwood covers onto the existing seats I have (mine have much lower miles on them). Not too long of a process but cutting and recrimping the hog rigs might take a bit. I removed the seat covers from the foam and it appears that the pads have an adhesive holding them to the seats

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Reactions: p.rico

·
Registered
226 Posts
What are you planning to do with the old seat covers?
Going to put them onto the donor seats and they'll be up for sale. There's nothing wrong with the donor seat foam but I'd prefer to have mine. The leather on my current R-Design seats are pretty much perfect except for a chip on the driver's seat.

Reactions: abcdefghii

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Going to put them onto the donor seats and they'll be up for sale.
That makes sense, for some reason I was thinking you'd just have the covers laying around. Was half thinking it might be worth me getting a spare rear seat cover for when the my youngest is out of a booster seat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts