SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forum and am considering an XC90. I am on vacation in the UK and was lucky enough to rent an XC90 (diesel Momentum +). I tried to move the car into a better position in the parking lot, started the engine and put the gear shift into drive and depressed the gas pedal - nothing happened. Engine rpms did not increase, it was as if I didn't depress the gas pedal. I then put on my seat belt and the car could be driven. I have tried it a number of times and the same thing happens each time. Does Volvo do this as a safety measure ( incredibly annoying ) or am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Did you check the status message on the dash? If the car had auto-brakes on, that may be why you thought you couldn't drive even though you were in the right gear. I know the car has a safety feature where it will not move (even in D) if neither the seatbelt is buckled or you don't manually push the button to disengage the parking break.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
In the U.S. at least, you can drive without a seatbelt though it's illegal in NY where I live anyway. But for changing parking spots or whatever, I've done it. Just putting that out there for the record. This is either the auto-brake function (weird that that correlates to seatbelt enforcement or am I missing something?) or a malfunction, or possibly a euro spec thing which would surprise me.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Did you check the status message on the dash? If the car had auto-brakes on, that may be why you thought you couldn't drive even though you were in the right gear. I know the car has a safety feature where it will not move (even in D) if neither the seatbelt is buckled or you don't manually push the button to disengage the parking break.
This sounds right in my experience - if the Auto-brake is on, the seatbelt needs to be buckled (only becomes annoying in quick parking situations, like adjusting slightly after realizing you are slightly too far in the garage etc...) But in the US the auto-brake is not automatically on, so just press the "A" in a circle button below the shifter so the green light is off and it won't happen...

·
Registered
92 Posts
In the U.S. at least, you can drive without a seatbelt though it's illegal in NY where I live anyway. But for changing parking spots or whatever, I've done it. Just putting that out there for the record. This is either the auto-brake function (weird that that correlates to seatbelt enforcement or am I missing something?) or a malfunction, or possibly a euro spec thing which would surprise me.
I think New Hampshire is the only state where it is legal to drive without a seat belt.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I've been driving around with auto brake on in the U.S. for a couple days. The car will move without my seatbelt on.

So it's not auto brake, at least in the U.S. Also, I'm not sure if it was in this thread or another but someone said when you have auto brake on, the car won't move until you manually disengage the brake. This is not the case. You just put your foot on the gas pedal and the brake disengages automatically. So it's possible this is what's caused some confusion.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Hmm, looks like all modern (maybe older too) volvos have this seatbelt requirement for auto release of parking brake :

For safety reasons, the parking brake is only released automatically if the engine is running and the driver is wearing a seat belt.

·
Registered
235 Posts
On my way home, I stop at the end of the streets get the mail, leaving the XC90 running, and when I get back in the car, I seem to be able to put it in park and drive up the street without fastening the seatbelt... And not even a warning chime. That's weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.