SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a question about seat belt warning with my MY12 xc60. The other day, my wife forgot to fasten her seat belt at the passager side. She realized that after couple of minutes later. During that time, there were no seat belt warning at all. I am not sure it is designed this way or not. Even my old Toyota Camry would warn you if you forgot to fasten your seat belt. Can someone give me an answer? THX

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have a question about seat belt warning with my MY12 xc60. The other day, my wife forgot to fasten her seat belt at the passager side. She realized that after couple of minutes later. During that time, there were no seat belt warning at all. I am not sure it is designed this way or not. Even my old Toyota Camry would warn you if you forgot to fasten your seat belt. Can someone give me an answer? THX

This happens to me, even in the driver's seat. My Honda CR-V would be going nuts without my seatbelt fastened. I don't drive without my seatbelt, but had not fastenened it leaving the garage and driveway. I noticed that I had received no audible warning, but there was an icon lit on the driver's side dash. I wonder if there is something in My Car settings to have an audible sound for seatbelt alert? I just haven't investigated it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The seat belt icon only lits up when I start the engine. It will turn off no matter I fasten my seat belt or not. I tried to look around in my car setting and could not find answer. If it designs this way, it will be a huge disappointment.

·
Registered
113 Posts
It's abnormal. May be seat sensor is disconnected. Normally, when some one sit on passenger seat, the seat sensor will conduct the signal. If you don't fasten the safety belt. You will get a warning light and the audible alarm will sound louder.. louder.. louder until you fasten the safety belt.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's abnormal. May be seat sensor is disconnected. Normally, when some one sit on passenger seat, the seat sensor will conduct the signal. If you don't fasten the safety belt. You will get a warning light and the audible alarm will sound louder.. louder.. louder until you fasten the safety belt.
Are you a XC60 owner? Could you please give it a try to see what happen if you don't fasten your seat belt after you start driving? I really want to find out whether this is just mine or it is designed this way. I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
11,944 Posts
The seat belt warning is configurable in VIDA a few different ways, I forget what they are now but my guess is that if this behavior isn't normal for this market then somehow it just got changed in VIDA.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Are you a XC60 owner? Could you please give it a try to see what happen if you don't fasten your seat belt after you start driving? I really want to find out whether this is just mine or it is designed this way. I appreciate your help.

Yes,I am. (XC60 D3 FWD 2012.2) When i don't fasten the safety belt after started the engine. The warning signal light will show with no warning sound. Until the car speed more than 10-20 km/hr the warning sound will shout. More speed,more louder. The warning sound and the warning light will off when fastened the safety belt.
Hope will help you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes,I am. (XC60 D3 FWD 2012.2) When i don't fasten the safety belt after started the engine. The warning signal light will show with no warning sound. Until the car speed more than 10-20 km/hr the warning sound will shout. More speed,more louder. The warning sound and the warning light will off when fastened the safety belt.
Hope will help you.
Thank you for the very important info. When I start my engine, the seat belt warning sign also lit up. However, it will go off afterwards even if I don't fasten my seat belt. It looks like definitely something wrong with my car. I will contact my local dealer to find out what's going on. I will keep you guys updated.

·
Registered
11,944 Posts
Thank you for the very important info. When I start my engine, the seat belt warning sign also lit up. However, it will go off afterwards even if I don't fasten my seat belt. It looks like definitely something wrong with my car. I will contact my local dealer to find out what's going on. I will keep you guys updated.

This behavior is programmed differently from the factory depending on what market the car is being sold to. So I would not compare your car (assuming USA-spec) to a Thailand car.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts

I understand it to work like this for the front: You get the warning at start up. The warning is there for
6 seconds and stays on even if you buckle up. That is it for start up warnings. So you can
drive without a seat belt. But if you buckle the belt, and then it becomes unbuckled, you
get a warning. In that case you have chosen to buckle up but somehow the seat belt is
unbuckled and you should be warmed. So it lets the driver make the choice to wear the belt,
or not, and if they do wear it, it warns if it comes unbuckled.

Above is how my 2011 S60 works.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I understand it to work like this for the front: You get the warning at start up. The warning is there for
6 seconds and stays on even if you buckle up. That is it for start up warnings. So you can
drive without a seat belt. But if you buckle the belt, and then it becomes unbuckled, you
get a warning. In that case you have chosen to buckle up but somehow the seat belt is
unbuckled and you should be warmed. So it lets the driver make the choice to wear the belt,
or not, and if they do wear it, it warns if it comes unbuckled.

Above is how my 2011 S60 works.
No, that is not my problem. My problem is that it will not warn me even when i forgot to bulk. When i started my car, the seat belt warning would be on for a few second (no sound). At this time, if i keep driving without buckling up the warning lid will be off and looks like nothing happened. I think it is abnormal.

·
Registered
134 Posts
No, that is not my problem. My problem is that it will not warn me even when i forgot to bulk. When i started my car, the seat belt warning would be on for a few second (no sound). At this time, if i keep driving without buckling up the warning lid will be off and looks like nothing happened. I think it is abnormal.

I have the same issues (as posted above) and just can't believe that a company so committed to safety would not have a warning associated with an unbuckled seatbelt. Now, I've never gone above 10mph with it unbuckled, so I don't know if it would begin warning me at higher speeds. I guess I could try that in my neighborhood. I have a late 2012 MY XC60 (picked up in April 2012 in Sweden, received the VIN in February). I am having trouble right now with my hands free calling and navigation, so when I take it in for that on Friday, I'll ask the service folks about an audible seat belt warning.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the same issues (as posted above) and just can't believe that a company so committed to safety would not have a warning associated with an unbuckled seatbelt. Now, I've never gone above 10mph with it unbuckled, so I don't know if it would begin warning me at higher speeds. I guess I could try that in my neighborhood. I have a late 2012 MY XC60 (picked up in April 2012 in Sweden, received the VIN in February). I am having trouble right now with my hands free calling and navigation, so when I take it in for that on Friday, I'll ask the service folks about an audible seat belt warning.
Yes, please keep us updated. I will do the same if I have anything new.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have 2013 XC60. If you do not buckle your seatbelt it will do nothing even if you drive off.

·
Registered
334 Posts
ya on my 06 S80 too its the same thing. When i start the engine all lights in the dash light up including the seat belt and passenger seat belt light up on the rear view mirror and an audible sound is heard ( if i m not wearing seat belt to begin with. But if i m wearing a seat belt and then start the engine then there is no audible sound).
Also lets say i am driving and if driver or passenger seatbelts are removed nothing happens. No light nor audible. I think its the program through VIDA. I also had software updated and still it did not fix the problem. My guess is the previous owner had this system disabled through the dealership. I wish i had noticed this before when i bought the car but now if i go and want to change it to normal settings then they will charge which is a lot. So i just leave it as it is.

·
Registered
304 Posts
can this thread be merged with THIS ONE

·
Registered
256 Posts
Things sure have changed from my high school days were I wired a secret switch under the dash so when I had 7+ people in my Pinto the seat belt warning would shut up, but then turn it back on when the parents were in the car.....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sorry to dig up an old thread - thought it made sense to add on to this one instead of starting a new one...

So we have noticed this exact same thing. Every car we have owned for the past 10 years would ding repeatedly if the passenger/driver seat was occupied without a seatbelt on. Our new 2015.5 XC60 doesn't seem to care. We got down the road a ways the other day and my wife realized she didn't have her seatbelt on and forgot about it. I'm surprised I haven't found more on the subject though - is this by design on a US-Spec model? I saw reference to it being programmable in VIDA on here - how does one go about doing that? Or should the dealer be able to fix this on a new car under warranty? This is probably the one quirk or flaw in this car that still really troubles us as this feels like a safety issue.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts