SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having difficulty keeping my front-facing child seat installed tight because apparently the version of XC40 sold here are not equipped with ALR. The child seat does not come with any locking clips for the seat belt either, so it tends to come loose after a while.

I wanted to check if anyone is familiar with Volvos being region-specific when it comes to such features? I asked my dealership about ALR and they appeared not to be aware of such a feature at all.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I am having difficulty keeping my front-facing child seat installed tight because apparently the version of XC40 sold here are not equipped with ALR. The child seat does not come with any locking clips for the seat belt either, so it tends to come loose after a while.

I wanted to check if anyone is familiar with Volvos being region-specific when it comes to such features? I asked my dealership about ALR and they appeared not to be aware of such a feature at all.
There are two different settings used, always starting out in ELR as opposed to ALR. Full-ALR-only is supposed to tighten continuously and not provide slack once buckled... ELR systems respond to rapid slack movement of the belt, in turn locking the webbing in place. The benefit of this is that you are never held in place at unnecessary times.

With the type of system in our cars (ELR), you can activate the locking mechanism feature of of the belt (ALR) by first extending the webbing all the way out, then pulling the child seat tight in position and letting the retracting mechanism absorb the slack of the webbing. It will then not loosen or release until the buckle is unclipped and fully retracted back into the mechanism.

http://toyota.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7663/~/what-are-elr/alr-3-point-seat-belts?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it seems this part is not working. My owner's manual makes no mention of the ALR feature as well, even though I see it in the manual for the car in other regions.

With the type of system in our cars (ELR), you can activate the locking mechanism feature of of the belt (ALR) by first extending the webbing all the way out, then pulling the child seat tight in position and letting the retracting mechanism absorb the slack of the webbing. It will then not loosen or release until the buckle is unclipped and fully retracted back into the mechanism.
Does anyone have a recommendation of seat belt locking clips for use with Volvo seat belt width? I bought a random one online and it was too small.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts