SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the alarm only goes off when I start to drive and there's a red seat in the dashboard indicating which seat has a passenger without seat belt. If the passenger does not buckle up after a short while, it will become quiet and never make a sound again. It happened couple times already when my wife got in the car and did not buckle up immediately. Once she realized about half an hour later. Should the alarm go like crazy if driver or front seat passenger does not buckle up?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really? This design doesn't make any sense. The 05 Honda I use to drive will beep nonstop until you buckle up. Does European model has a different design?

·
Registered
369 Posts
I forget which of my previous cars did something similar to what the Volvo design apparently is with silencing the buzzer after a period of time. IIRC in that case (wish I could remember which car it was long ago), the mfgr said it was designed that way to handle situations where the owner had placed larger non-human objects on the seat for extended periods (like packages or say newspapers, a delivery person may have).

Like you, I'm not sure I agree with the choice today, but I suppose that people who hate big brother or big gov't interfering in their lives may appreciate the design if they want to take their own lives in their hands and not be told forever what to do with a buzzer going off. ;) Perhaps better reasoning may be that since the Volvo XC design has gone to all the trouble of having the built-in holes just under the headliner above the rear doors to accommodate the optional steel grille -- at least in the XC60 (to protect the front seat area from animals or packages falling forward -- but I suspect only a small minority of owners here in the US actually ever use, since most other mfgrs provide nothing similar or at least as visually apparent), that could be why. IDK for a fact, but its a pretty good speculative POV off the top of my head at this hour, isn't it?

·
Registered
369 Posts
...one other thought, and this is gonna date me horribly.

As a kid growing-up with just 2-point seat belts in my parent's car (and able to legally sit in the front passenger seat, not really seeing very well over the dash), there were no buzzers if you didn't connect the belt. My Mom used to always ask if I had buckled-up or reach over and give it a tug. Then, at some later time when I started driving and had my new-at-the-time Fords, Toyota and Hondas before what's listed in my sig line below, 3-point seat belts along with the passenger seat "in-use" weight detection method became the norm. The latter for sure would make the buzzer go off if you had too much weight of anything in the passenger seat. Some cars were really touchy to the point some other drivers became so frustrated when they threw their purse, a grocery bag, or something else on the adjoining seat, they just keep the passenger belt clipped in-place (or used an aftermarket device to trick the clip, or had DIY methods to clip the wires or put in their own switch) to avoid the buzzer.

After that, maybe around the time child seats and if they should/shouldn't be in the front seat and face back or forward -- while airbag tech was also coming into being, I distinctly remember in one of my cars there was a not-so-obvious method described in the owner's manual to permanently disable the buzzer related to the weight detection in the passenger seat, so it would only keep the red dash indicator light on if an exception was found. I never did it myself, but being a guy that has always read the Owner's Manual at least once, remember it was at least that mfgrs response how to deal with the myriad of exceptions that existed at the time. On perhaps my next new vehicle not many years after that, there was no way to turn off the buzzer if I even wanted to, which I remember thinking at the time was odd or some sort of takeaway. I always suspected the change was because some new safety legislation had been passed, or maybe improvements to the weight detection methods in the seat had been made so it wouldn't need to be manually overridden any longer.

It appears from @jaytang's observation, Volvo is now just automating the buzzer turn-off after some period of time, that in Volvo's wisdom accomplishes the reminder the buzzer was intended for in the first place, without providing a manual override to defeat the warning system all-together -- but also makes things better for the outlier cases I suggested above and passes whatever legislation there is requiring 3-point belts, the "seat-in-use" weight monitor, and buzzers that have to go off for some minimum period of time when an exception is found.

I didn't feel old until getting into this thread a few hours ago, but now I sure do!

·
Registered
212 Posts
I believe that this Nanny is a Federal Mandate?

But I remember when I was a kid no seat-belts in my parent's cars! So I guess I am now ancient.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Really? This design doesn't make any sense. The 05 Honda I use to drive will beep nonstop until you buckle up. Does European model has a different design?

If I remember correctly
The sound goes away but the red blinking light stays indefinitely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I remember correctly
The sound goes away but the red blinking light stays indefinitely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did not check the gauge cluster back then. Relying too much on the HUD now...

Guess we just need to keep that in mind now.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I actually like that feature a LOT! For any reason you need to drive a couple hundred meters if will not annoy the [email protected]!k out of you until you buckle up. Most cars do just that, keep buzzing until you buckle up. I’ve always disabled annoying features like seat belt warning and always on DRL (Day running lights) etc. through software or European switches for the time of ownership of vehicle and enable all the features back before sale. I’d like to be in control when to buckle up and when turn my light on or off. New software update supposed to change the logic of seatbelt warnings in US. This is the reason why I do not rush with the software update, which by the way is not free anymore. Just my opinion:)

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
I actually like that feature a LOT! For any reason you need to drive a couple hundred meters if will not annoy the [email protected]!k out of you until you buckle up. Most cars do just that, keep buzzing until you buckle up. I’ve always disabled annoying features like seat belt warning and always on DRL (Day running lights) etc. through software or European switches for the time of ownership of vehicle and enable all the features back before sale. I’d like to be in control when to buckle up and when turn my light on or off. New software update supposed to change the logic of seatbelt warnings in US. This is the reason why I do not rush with the software update, which by the way is not free anymore. Just my opinion:)
DRL and auto head light is good stuff, especially for the cloudy days in NW. Just set it to automatic and don't need to worry at all.
Every now and then I see cars with no lights at all in dark evening. It is just so bad.

·
Registered
72 Posts
DRL and auto head light is good stuff, especially for the cloudy days in NW. Just set it to automatic and don't need to worry at all.
Every now and then I see cars with no lights at all in dark evening. It is just so bad.
Lol. I live in the NW and see how many drivers drive with no headlights at night. It’s alarming.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts