SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past several days I haven't been able to search; "the search server is temporarily unavailable." Is it just my account? <p>Both IE and Firefox get the same message so it's not my browser...

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Re: Searching (Crashy)

Check out the forum notification at the top of the thread listings, there's a helpful link to search using Google that we came up with ("Search SS via Google"). Personally, I like this method a heck of a lot better, never thought the forum search was very reliable.<p>Or: <A HREF="http://www.google.com/custom?domains=forums.swedespeed.com&sitesearch=forums.swedespeed.com" TARGET="_blank">http://www.google.com/custom?domains=forums.swedespeed.com&sitesearch=forums.swedespeed.com</A><p>Tom.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Re: Searching (tmtalpey)

I find that searching the forum with Google is much like swatting the proverbial fly with a sledgehammer. It'll return everything you could possibly want, along with everything you don't. Try searching for this very thread on Google, for instance. Depending on Google's indexing process, it might not even be there yet, but if it is, it's not to be found in at least the first five pages of returned search results. The thread could be easily found using the forum search facility, however. That's really the strength of the search feature: if you know what you are looking for, it's much better at directly finding it for you than Google is. (By contrast, it's fairly inflexible and has several quirks that aren't obvious.) Google is the best way to go chiefly if you want to cast a wide net.

·
Registered
7,600 Posts
Re: Searching (mullmann)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>mullmann</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I find that searching the forum with Google is much like swatting the proverbial fly with a sledgehammer. It'll return everything you could possibly want, along with everything you don't. Try searching for this very thread on Google, for instance. Depending on Google's indexing process, it might not even be there yet, but if it is, it's not to be found in at least the first five pages of returned search results. The thread could be easily found using the forum search facility, however. That's really the strength of the search feature: if you know what you are looking for, it's much better at directly finding it for you than Google is. (By contrast, it's fairly inflexible and has several quirks that aren't obvious.) Google is the best way to go chiefly if you want to cast a wide net.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Couldn't agree more... once you learn the ways of the search engine here it's much more precise. Google also definitely does not return ALL of the relevant threads (perhaps it can't index the archived pages?) I used Google just the other day in an attempt to find a thread I KNOW exists and I KNOW the keywords that are contained in the thread. Google returned pages of hits but none referred the thread in question.<p>UKMatt

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Re: Searching (ukmatt)

Well, I find the exact opposite. I find the forum search to be slow and very unreliable. Slight quirks such as punctuation in the search, or puntuation in the target threads (for example) make for zero results.<p>The only time I use forum search is when I know exactly what I'm looking for, like a specific phrase I remember, etc. Then, it's okay.<p>To each one's own. Choice is good.<p>By the way:<p><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>ukmatt</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Google also definitely does not return ALL of the relevant threads (perhaps it can't index the archived pages?)</TD></TR></TABLE><p>If true, this isn't Google's fault, it's the forum software's for not letting Google index them. I'll pass this along.<p>Tom.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I was able to use google's search to find things, the only problem I had was if someone had my search term in their signature (e.g. "springs") it would return every post as a new result. At least the swedespeed search would collapse them if you only searched in titles.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Re: Searching (ukmatt)

the search feature here allowed you to limit the search to a relevant forum. <br>just fix the server already.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts