SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have read the sticky and really have been meaning to get around to this as my car has 88k. I plan on getting an oil chance tomorrow before i leave for a 3 hour trip, was thinking about grabbing some seafoam on my lunch break today and doing the crankcase oil and fuel portions of the seafoam treatment. Is that enough/too much time if i get my oil changed tomorrow around the same time?
Thanks guys

·
Registered
Jaguar XFR
3,270 Posts
Have read the sticky and really have been meaning to get around to this as my car has 88k. I plan on getting an oil chance tomorrow before i leave for a 3 hour trip, was thinking about grabbing some seafoam on my lunch break today and doing the crankcase oil and fuel portions of the seafoam treatment. Is that enough/too much time if i get my oil changed tomorrow around the same time?
Thanks guys
how many miles total until the oil change? You should just do all three portions.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont have the paitence or time to deal with the other portion right now sadly. Prob 20-25 miles tops i would think

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is the timing important before the change or the milage. If i was going to get the full 30 miles then i would need to do it today but then wait for the change tomorrow. Is it ok to leave this in the engine overnight? Of should i just add it today and change the oil today with less than the 30 miles on it?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Is the timing important before the change or the milage. If i was going to get the full 30 miles then i would need to do it today but then wait for the change tomorrow. Is it ok to leave this in the engine overnight? Of should i just add it today and change the oil today with less than the 30 miles on it?
You can leave it overnight, it's a petroleum product.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
They say you can add the seafoam to your oil safely for ~100 miles. The reason you don't want to do it longer is it will start to eat your seals over time. Like a polar bear. ;)

The vacuum line part isn't that hard. Remove charge pipe, take off fuel rail cover, undo the black vacuum line there and attach a funnel, reattach charge pipe, start car, and pour in the seafoam. Maybe a 20-30 minute job total. Plus, it's really cool to see the white smoke billow out of the car. Woot!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Not sure why you would SEAFOAM it if your R is running fine?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
I dont have the paitence or time to deal with the other portion right now sadly. Prob 20-25 miles tops i would think
You need to, that's the most important part.
Getting into that vacuum line cleans out all the crud on the top of the engine
Gas tank does a little, crankcase does a lot more, but to do a proper job you need to do all three areas.

Not sure why you would SEAFOAM it if your R is running fine?
Because at 88k EVERY engine will have a lot of buildup

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just did the two steps i could quickly at work. NO smoke whatsoever though, does that usually come from the vacuum line application? If so maybe i will do it tomorrow morning and then have the oil changed at lunch.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sorry to be a newbie, but I am not used to those english terms and brands... I've read the "howto" about that seafoam, and before entering my auto parts store, I want to know... What exactly am I looking for, is seafoam a brand, a type of product, etc. ? Any help about how to buy this (Brand, shape, color, qty...) will be appreciated :)

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Sorry to be a newbie, but I am not used to those english terms and brands... I've read the "howto" about that seafoam, and before entering my auto parts store, I want to know... What exactly am I looking for, is seafoam a brand, a type of product, etc. ? Any help about how to buy this (Brand, shape, color, qty...) will be appreciated :)
Seafoam is a brand name for an engine/fuel system treatment. You can get it at Canadian Tire and many other auto parts stores. Here is the Canadian Tire link: http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...387800P/Seafoam+Motor+Treatment.jsp?locale=en

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Just did the two steps i could quickly at work. NO smoke whatsoever though, does that usually come from the vacuum line application? If so maybe i will do it tomorrow morning and then have the oil changed at lunch.
smoke only happens in the vacc lines. no smoke from the gas or oil treatment.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
just picked up my two cans last weekend. just to double check, after putting seafoam in the oil there is no length of time to leave it in there just a recommended amount of miles correct? so if i put the seafoam in the oil i can just go for a drive for the recommended amount of miles and then come home and change the oil?

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
just picked up my two cans last weekend. just to double check, after putting seafoam in the oil there is no length of time to leave it in there just a recommended amount of miles correct? so if i put the seafoam in the oil i can just go for a drive for the recommended amount of miles and then come home and change the oil?
Sure can, I just wouldn't leave it in for weeks or even days, maybe a day MAX!

All I did was replace the old oil with newer cheap branded synthetic oil (5qts for 13$ at walmart), a newer filter, drove for about 30-40miles then drove home and changed the oil while it was still hot from the drive so nothing sat for awhile in the system. The oil was pretty nasty coming out so I guess it got some junk out (went in clear and gold, came out DARK black) but some people have let it sit for a day or two.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This should show my lack of car knowledge, but doing the vac system requires and oil change right after? Just wondering if i could address this later on my vacation after i get my oil change today, or if i need to do the vac line prior to change as well?
Thanks

·
Registered
635 Posts
This should show my lack of car knowledge, but doing the vac system requires and oil change right after? Just wondering if i could address this later on my vacation after i get my oil change today, or if i need to do the vac line prior to change as well?
Thanks
No, vac system method recommends spark plug change shortly after depending how old they are. Oil change is only for crankcase.

Sent while in DEFCON Brown.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Well, I would change the oil after doing either of the two.
The only time it's not necessary is in the fuel tank.

Rule of thumb is to drive it for 50-100 miles after a FULL Seafoam treatment then change the oil

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
damn i got one last question as im preparing to do this. the sticky note says 3/8 tubing, is that OD or ID? i went with ID but i dont want to pull evertything apart and find out im wrong.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
tubing is usually expressed as inner.

·
Registered
252 Posts
will adding seafoam in the crankcase help with the PCV flametrap.
i just started to notice i am not feeling the sucking with engine running when i put my hand over the oil filler cap.... but i am also not seeing any smoke coming out it or the dipstick yet either. so i am wondering if this might clean it out before it get worse?????
i replaced one quart of oil with Marvels Mystery Oil right now.... and in the gas

1 - 20 of 23 Posts