SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I say "tight" I mean like pulling into a parking space tight. The odd thing is that there's no odd noises when the car's been sitting for a while util the car's been driven a bit.

So drive from house to supermarket (two miles), no noise.
Drive from house to work (seven miles), turn into parking spot and "Screech!"

No noise during normal road driving.

Sounds worse during right turns. Sounds like it is coming from the front left.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
First thing that comes to mind when I think screech on full turn is a whining power steering pump.

Check the fluid level in reservoir and also check the quality of fluid. If it’s brown, I’d consider changing it to see if that makes a difference. Also be sure level is correct.

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70

·
Registered
515 Posts
As above, look at the fluid level, the measure is on the cap stick, no need to have it exactly at level, but close. Se if it has a shade of green to it on a paper, if it's red it needs replaced with Pentosin, about 1-2 liters to flush it https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/hydraulic-system-fluid-power-steering-fluid-chf11s-1-liter

Next, look at the steering stops, put some bearing grease on them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VL4DUnT_nwk

Then may run the engine, and have a bud turn the steering lock to lock and listen near the pump - may try to tighten down the hoses both at the pump and at the reservoir

If you have the old type of reservoir with the return hose near the cap, it has inside a small brass pipe that sometimes drops inside (google up)

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I had replied earlier but it didn't post... I concur with checking the fluid first and foremost. Mine when I had first gotten it would make whining noise of if try to make a moderate to fast sharp turn, especially like a U-turn. Turned out to be low fluid. Top off with fresh Pentosin CHF-202 until you can test it and then flush if necessary as mentioned above. Also as obvious or dumb as it sounds, make sure you aren't mistaking the sound for tire rub. A metal plate sits inside the wheel well right where the tires touch inside. I've noticed that in the same instances as to where I noticed the low fluid issue, the tires would make a higher-pitched screech type noise when at full lock and against that metal plate rubbing. The low fluid made a whining noise after the quick sharp turn that remained until the car was shut off. It was gone when I'd restart however, but that motion is what would make it start.

Sent from my Huawei Mate 9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I responded to the responses but it didn't post either.

I checked the fluid. I'll look at the steering stops tomorrow, I didn't know that those existed. I'll also check the wheel bearings. I have lots of meat on the brake pads.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Is said tight parking space on sealed asphalt? That will make any tire squeal. And costs nothing to fix...

·
Registered
Volvo S60 D5 MY2003, 163hp
181 Posts
I have same situation but I find "problem". From time to time have to put some grease on steering limiters and no screeching sound any more. When they lose grease from washing and other things sound is back on tight turns. Specialy when turning left.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any thoughts on just replacing the limiters? They're only $5 each and with shipping it would about $15 for both.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts