SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, long time lurker first time poster.I have a 04 XC70 that I bought in June of 08. On the drive home tonight,light snow,I made a turn and all of a sudden a loud screeching came from what sounded like the rear of the car. I slowed down to a stop and it stopped. Went a couple of hunderd feet and it started again. I stopped again and started up and for the last 2-3 miles home it did not do it again. As I slowed down, the loudness or pitch didn't seem to change. The car has approx 24K on it. Thanks in advance for your help, Gary

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Re: Screeching from rear of car (Gary S)

Search for something called "rain squeal." Hot exhaust + cold rain/snow = deflection of the exhaust into the drive shaft.

Volvo has a technical notice about it which calls for a bracket to hold the exhaust down, but it creates a low point that many feel makes for too much of a risk of real drive shaft damage (if you hit something with the bracket). The preferred solution is the elimination of the front resonator (the part that hits the drive shaft), AKA the "JRL mod."

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Screeching from rear of car (VTT5)

Thanks very much,that is exactly what is happening.I just got out from under the car and it looks like this is the 1st time it happened,it had a very pampered life. I think I'll go to the dealer just to see what they say,it does have the extended warranty on it. Thanks again, Gary

1 - 3 of 3 Posts