SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006 V70R M66, Titanium/Atacama
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has happened for a while but rare due to the condition foe it to occur, but I was just reminded this morning as I drove through heavy rain.

When it's raining heavily, like downpour, and I'm driving on the highway, something in the front end really starts screaming LOUD. Sound fills the passenger compartment and overpowers music.

I don't think it's in the drive train, I've pulled over to a stop and it continues for a few moments then dies down.

I thought maybe water was getting into the engine bay onto the belts, because my hood seal has peeled back a bit along the front lip in that area. But today I turned off the car and coasted in a clear space on the highway, and the screaming continued.

Only thing I can think of that would still be running then is the rad fan which goes for a while after turning off the engine.

Didn't get a video or sound clip unfortunately, and if I manage to pull over and check the engine bay it stops before I can get to it and listen around.

Has anyone experienced something like this? Any ideas or guidance? Would it be the rad fan?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
This has happened for a while but rare due to the condition foe it to occur, but I was just reminded this morning as I drove through heavy rain.

When it's raining heavily, like downpour, and I'm driving on the highway, something in the front end really starts screaming LOUD. Sound fills the passenger compartment and overpowers music.

I don't think it's in the drive train, I've pulled over to a stop and it continues for a few moments then dies down.

I thought maybe water was getting into the engine bay onto the belts, because my hood seal has peeled back a bit along the front lip in that area. But today I turned off the car and coasted in a clear space on the highway, and the screaming continued.

Only thing I can think of that would still be running then is the rad fan which goes for a while after turning off the engine.

Didn't get a video or sound clip unfortunately, and if I manage to pull over and check the engine bay it stops before I can get to it and listen around.

Has anyone experienced something like this? Any ideas or guidance? Would it be the rad fan?

Thanks!
Search for "Rain Squeal" - in a nutshell the center resonator warps a bit from the rain and rubs on the driveshaft. There are a bunch of clips on YouTube for it too. The only time I experienced it, I didn't think it was coming from the driveline, but sure enough my driveshaft had a bunch of marks on it from where it rubbed. Volvo makes an expensive bracket to help hold it down, or you can just delete the resonator. I did it on my VR (much more resonance space for drone) and the exhaust note barely changed at all.

Also search for "EBD Exhaust Bracket of Death". It's a bracket from the factory around the resonator that can get caught on anything and cause a lot of damage. If your car still has it on, I'd suggest removing it ASAP.

·
Registered
16,810 Posts
+1
We've probably all been there.
Search for "Rain Squeal" - in a nutshell the center resonator warps a bit from the rain and rubs on the driveshaft. There are a bunch of clips on YouTube for it too. The only time I experienced it, I didn't think it was coming from the driveline, but sure enough my driveshaft had a bunch of marks on it from where it rubbed. Volvo makes an expensive bracket to help hold it down, or you can just delete the resonator. I did it on my VR (much more resonance space for drone) and the exhaust note barely changed at all.

Also search for "EBD Exhaust Bracket of Death". It's a bracket from the factory around the resonator that can get caught on anything and cause a lot of damage. If your car still has it on, I'd suggest removing it ASAP.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Have a muffler shop remove the center resonator and unbolt the exhaust bracket of death and toss it.

·
Registered
2006 V70R M66, Titanium/Atacama
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I got under this weekend and had a look - and lo I did find that the exhaust bracket of death did remain. I'm 4th owner of this '06, so I'm somewhat surprised to see it still there. But that also supports the car is very stock and no one has really mucked around with it. Have to say, I'm fortunate, my wife drove the car last winter and ended up going over a frozen dead racoon on the road which hit a number of things including the resonator. The outer layer of the resonator had rusted away at the end seams, and with a good knock it broke free. Also that racoon knocked some bumper connections free. It was essentially like hitting a large rock at speed.

Anyway, pulled the bracket off.

I didn't want to lose the exhaust hangers element of it all, so with a quick touch of the angle grinder, I removed the 'of death' aspect of the bracket. I touched the newly exposed metal edges with a couple coats of rust proof paint.

Now, when removing the bracket, one of the mounting bolts broke off in the sheet metal insert. I couldn't get it out, but the member did have an open hole adjacent, and so did the exhaust bracket.

So, (A) the bolt was stuck in the insert. I couldn't get the remaining bolt free, so I "gently removed it". Then, (B) seated a lock nut in a box wrench, and (C) a washer and slipped it into the space behind the adjacent hole. I then used a bolt i had around to put the bracket segment on and hold the heat shield up.

Worked well, tightened it all up and good to go! No more "of death", just 'exhaust bracket(s?)'

Now, as for the exhaust rubbing the drive shaft, that definitely seems to be happening. There are witness marks on the drive shaft, and i can feel wear on the resonator - pictures are hard to get in situ.

Here's a wear mark on the resonator.

And here's a wear mark on the driveshaft.

The gap between the two isn't large, but it's not nothing. I'm surprised the exhaust expands and contracts that much to make contact.

I'll probably leave the resonator for now because I'm intending to get a full EST exhaust in the future anyway.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

·
Registered
16,810 Posts
Nice work and documentation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
269 Posts
I had that bracket push the center resonator so hard into the driveshaft that the resonator was almost worn through. But it only ever made that squealing noise in the rain!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Great write up. I’ll be removing mine too when I put in the DP and touring exhaust from EST in the next month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts