SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get an opinion from you folks on the condition of my center console. Within a few days of picking up the car, I started noticing circular scratches around most of the knobs. These can only be from finger nails, since there's no way to get a ring or something that close while adjusting the knob. Then I started noticing other scratches, including some to the right of the gear shifter that I believe are from the plastic zipper on my wife's winter coat. Over time, there are more and more little scratches on the center console.

What's weird is that the door arm rest panels are perfect, even though they get watch bands, rings, finger nails, buttons, etc drug across them every day. It also seems that if the wood floors in my house can sustain 14 years of people walking on them and still look almost new that the console in a car should be able to handle finger nails.

Like most of you probably are, I'm pretty particular about my car's appearance. It's always clean, stain free, and the rest of the interior looks like it did the day I picked the car up.

I'm convinced that the finish on the center console didn't harden correctly for some reason. My dealer says they won't replace it under warranty, but "graciously" offered to let me buy a new one for a mere $589.70 + $148.50 labor.

Take a look at these pics. What do you think? Do your panels look like this, and if so, any luck getting them replaced?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Unacceptable! Escalate your Dealer's decision. I'd like to see an equivalent Mercedes or BMW wood trim in less than a year.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
That looks horrible, especially the third pic. I'm surprised they won't replace it.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I amazed anyone here would expect the dealer to replace this! These scratches were admittedly caused by the owner(s) carelessness. This is the same as getting stone chips on the front bumper and expecting Volvo to repaint the car for you. Take responsibility for your own actions.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
I wouldn't expect the dealer to replace it, but I am disappointed that it's so easily scratch-able. The wood trims in my 850 and P2s were not.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, but this was not caused by carelessness. The rest of the car is absolutely perfect, as was the last vehicle I owned for over 110k miles.

Take a look at the ones around the knobs. Try this... get in your car, and see what hits the panel around the knob when you turn it. Your finger nails will. There's no way that you can even get jewelry or other objects near the panel that close to the knob. I suppose if adjusting knobs in a car without first putting on velvet gloves is carelessness, maybe you're right.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Have you tried taking some rubbing compound and buffing them out?

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I am probably mistaken, but it almost looks like there is a plastic film still covering the Urban wood than can be pealed off.....am I crazy????

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
GregK: You got me wondering about the plastic, so I went to double check. It does look a little like it's still on, but unfortunately it wasn't.

DWBF1: Good suggestion. I spent about 45 minutes with some light-cut polish/scratch remover this afternoon, and was able to almost totally remove the scratches by the shifter! I think a couple more hours would get the panel looking like new again. My real concern is that it'll just get scratched up again if the finish isn't as hard as it should be.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
You could put some wax on there...lol
Maybe call Meguiar's 1-800-347-5700. They may have a product that would work....

·
Registered
169 Posts
Urbane Wood Trim

I seriously considered adding this option but decided against it since I didn't think it would look good with the beige/off black interior. After reading this thread I'm happy with my decision.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Maybe replace it all with the "real wood" kit? Then you can just sand out the scratches every year... LOL!

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
I wouldn't expect the dealer to replace it, but I am disappointed that it's so easily scratch-able. The wood trims in my 850 and P2s were not.
P2 wood trim had the same issue, my brother had the wood trim in his 2006 S60 and I would pop out the trim around the stick and wax it for him once a year to get out the scratches.

Best solution for the OP would be to cut his nails (lol), use his steering wheel controls and shortcuts, and keep stuff off the center console (e.g. cell phone).

·
Registered
620 Posts
Hmmm... my T6 has urbane wood standard. Maybe I should ask to downgrade to graphite! I'm too young for wood, urbane or otherwise :)

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
GregK: You got me wondering about the plastic, so I went to double check. It does look a little like it's still on, but unfortunately it wasn't.

DWBF1: Good suggestion. I spent about 45 minutes with some light-cut polish/scratch remover this afternoon, and was able to almost totally remove the scratches by the shifter! I think a couple more hours would get the panel looking like new again. My real concern is that it'll just get scratched up again if the finish isn't as hard as it should be.
Great to hear that. Those scratches by the shifter were the worst. I'd sort of expect scratches around the audio knobs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts