SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all again,<p>I recently changed the rotors and pads on our 2001 XC70, turned out I also had a bad caliper on the driver side and replaced that as well. The brakes are working great now, but the car has developed a scraping sound.<p>At first I thought it was the dust shield scraping, but after checking both sides, it doesn't feel/look like there is anything that's touching.<p>What's even weirder is that the scraping/ticking is present when driving in a straight line, and gets louder when turning left. It goes away when turning right. It also gets louder the faster you drive. Any idea what this could be?<p>Thanks for any help, you guys and gals are the best.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Re: Scraping/ticking sound after brake job (jbt308)

if you had one bad caliper, maybe you have another.<p>you might not have cleaned and lubed the slide pins. the piston of one is sticking like the bad one, just not as bad.<p>it sounds like you have a pad that is dragging on a rotor.<p>we had a house in florida for years, i would leave a car there, and return every few months to take care of the house. so very often the car i left would have all sorts of salt air related problems (clearwater/bellair bluffs area). i started renting cars for week long periods to just get over the hassle of finding problems/fixing cars. our neighbors regularly washed their brakes with clean water during car washing. it seemed to help.<p>i did all that when i lived in colorado, whenever i was in salt road conditions first thing i did was get to a do it yourself car wash and wash the underside on the car, including the wheels.<p>just a thought. good luck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Scraping/ticking sound after brake job (hastee)

Possibly another bad caliper, but the passenger side looked/acted just fine. Even under heavy braking, things were ok. Also, the sound does not dissipate or seemed to be affected at all when the brakes are applied.<p>I'm more worried that it's something to do with the drive system or wheel bearing, because it's odd that it goes away when turning right, and gets louder when turning left.<p>I know what you mean about the salt/sand getting into the systems, I grew up in St. Pete, and now live near the water on the opposite coast. However, I've never experienced anything like this, and it only manifested when I changed the rotors/pads???

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Check and see if you accidentally bent the brake backing plate so it's rubbing against the rotor. It's easy to do, and it's also easy to check and easy to fix.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Re: (jbt308)

i think that they are the same part; just different names, but do not hold me to that.<p>it does sound like it might be a hub bearing. at least to me. <p> on the earlier points made, the caliper may stick part way if the guide pins have coroded. they can be cleaned and the apply something like 'sil-glyde' heavy duty silicon gel. i use the stuff all over the cars. it is clear, and it is great.<p>just thoughts; best of luck with it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (hastee)

Thanks for the reply. I did lube the guidepins fairly well, so I'm hoping that's not the problem.<p>I'd rather you not mention the "hub" word, as that's what I was hoping it wasn't.<p>Wife called and said the scraping has subsided quite a bit after driving today. We'll give it a few more days and see if it dissipates altogether. Thanks for all the help everyone.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
So you've got a noise after doing work on your car, and your master plan is to just drive and hope it goes away?<p>Jeez dude, at least go check all the bolts and wheel lugs, you don't want brake parts or a wheel falling off when you try to use them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Re: (LloydDobler)

lol .....<p>indeed.<p>My advice -start again inspect and inspect again and again brakes must be 100%.<p>Possible that the "new" caliper is wrong and rubbing on the disc, the disc acting like a knife through butter until the caliper breaks in half when you ask it to stop the car in a hurry.....<p>hmmm unlikely but you get the idea. New noises after brake job warrant serious concern!!!<p>Karl<p>

·
Registered
29 Posts
Re: (LPG Karl)

pad might not be sitting in the right place and wearing out the part that is where it shouldnt be, also damaging the rotors in the process.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts