SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I managed to scrape my wheel against a curb today. Luck would have it it was against the protruding part rather than the flushed part contributing to the damage. The scrape is across a approx 1.5 inch section. Any suggestions how I can mask this damage? I would go with Alloygator but it's says it's not recommended for diamond cut wheels. I would be grateful for any suggestions.
Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Sorry that this happened. I know that some others on SS have had this type of damage repaired and it looks very good. I would check out a reputable shop in your area that can make those cosmetic repairs.

I was wondering if those 20 inch alloy diamond cut 5 spoke wheels would hold up against road rash. Sure makes me think long and hard about the Volvo Tire and Wheel Protection insurance. I have had some sort of minor damage to all of my wheels on my S60 over the years. That coverage says it applies to "cosmetic and curb damage". Does anyone know if the coverage is for repair versus replacement. I also wonder if there are limits to using this coverage???

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just bought the tire and wheel protection and it was sold to me like this: they repair unless a replacement is necessary. I initially declined it when finalizing with the finance person, but my sales guy popped in and made sure I considered it because of the number of xc90 customers he had who thanked him for that coverage. I figured it would be a good buy considering my wife will also be driving the vehicle and she isn't used to driving a big car.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yeah, our dealer told us the 21" wheels would be $2k each and tires would be $400 each. So we took it just in case, it also includes the windscreen etc...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Sorry that this happened. I know that some others on SS have had this type of damage repaired and it looks very good. I would check out a reputable shop in your area that can make those cosmetic repairs.
Yep, I'm one of those who had this happen -- on day 5 of owning my Black Inscription with 21s. I posted about it here on SS back in Dec. I had a local mobile repair guy fix it for $110, and it looks brand new again. But, I don't have the diamond cut wheels. So, not sure if the repair can be done as easily with the style OP has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Yeah, our dealer told us the 21" wheels would be $2k each and tires would be $400 each. So we took it just in case, it also includes the windscreen etc...
Actually there are three options (Volvo Protection Plans), with each offered as a 3 or 5 year plan. Volvo Protection Plus, Volvo Key Protection, or Volvo Tire and Wheel Protection. One include windshield repair and others don't.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Actually there are three options (Volvo Protection Plans), with each offered as a 3 or 5 year plan. Volvo Protection Plus, Volvo Key Protection, or Volvo Tire and Wheel Protection. One include windshield repair and others don't.
Most tire and wheel plans don't cover curb rash at all.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Most tire and wheel plans don't cover curb rash at all.
I believe this one does.......but please correct me if I am mistaken. The Volvo plan specifically says "including cosmetic and curb damage".

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
What the Volvo protection brochure says is

Reimbursement is provided for expenses arising out of the repair
or replacement of wheels rendered unserviceable due to failure of
the wheel covered under your contract or cosmetic damage due to
road hazard
Many people seem to ignore the ROAD HAZARD part. Everything I've ever read says curbs are not road hazards. Does the Volvo one explicitly in the actual fine print agreement say that they will cover curbs and operator error?

It can be hard to tell what really caused the damage and they may just give one the benefit of the doubt.

Unless there really is a clause saying they will cover curb rash, then IMO if you are getting your rims repaired/replaced because YOU messed up (and you were honest and admitted that and didn't misrepresent to them that it was a pothole), I think you should consider yourself lucky.

Volvo Assurance Plans

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
This is off the brochure:
PLAN 3 VOLVO Tire & wheel PROTECTION
TIRE & WHEEL*

Flat Tire Coverage:
You will be reimbursed for the charges incurred for the repair of at tires caused by road hazards.
Wheel/Rim Protection:
Reimbursement is provided for expenses arising out of the repair or replacement of wheels rendered unserviceable due to failure of the wheel covered under your contract or cosmetic damage due to road hazard.
Tire Replacement:
Reimbursement is provided should the tire become non-repairable due to curb impact, snags, cuts, punctures, or other road hazards.
Mounting/Balancing & Taxes:
Reimbursement is provided for the cost of mounting and balancing for any tire covered by your agreement including all local and state taxes, where applicable, as required as part of covered repair.
ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE*
See description on last page.

patty web you make a good point. I'm wondering if curb damage would be a covered expense. I'm thinking I need to ask a lot more questions at the dealership....

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Curb damage is almost never covered under these plans. You can run over a cement block, at the front of a parking spot, and damage will be covered but not curb rash.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Curb damage is almost never covered under these plans. You can run over a cement block, at the front of a parking spot, and damage will be covered but not curb rash.
Well then, that makes that decision a lot easier! Thanks for that information/clarification.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have the Volvo tire protection plan for my 2016 XC90 and had some minor curb rash on 3 of my rims repaired last week. There was no charge but my dealership did need to send it out to a nearby facility to have the repair. I'm not sure what they did but they look like new!

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I have the Volvo tire protection plan for my 2016 XC90 and had some minor curb rash on 3 of my rims repaired last week. There was no charge but my dealership did need to send it out to a nearby facility to have the repair. I'm not sure what they did but they look like new!
Glad to hear those repairs were covered for you. Sounds like it may be hit or miss if there will be coverage for this type of damage.....

·
Registered
83 Posts
Tires such as the Goodyear F1 have a rim guard built in, and they come in 275/45 20 sizes too.
They won't totally eliminate curb rash, but definitely reduces it.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Tires such as the Goodyear F1 have a rim guard built in, and they come in 275/45 20 sizes too.

Thanks for the heads up.....

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Here in Canada I asked the dealer about the tire and wheel protection and they confirmed that doesn't include scraped rim fix :-( Just if you bend the wheel on something/pot hole or puncture tire. I wish it would include scraped wheel lol

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm too lazy, um ... er... I mean tired to look it up. What kind of tires are the F1? Summer, all-season, perforrmance, winter?

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Here in Canada I asked the dealer about the tire and wheel protection and they confirmed that doesn't include scraped rim fix :-( Just if you bend the wheel on something/pot hole or puncture tire. I wish it would include scraped wheel lol
Yep....if curb damage is excluded, that pretty well takes me out of the picture.......

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I just pulled out my Easy Care contract and looked at the sections about Cosmetic Wheel Damage.
A. What is Covered
This contract provides limited repair of cosmetic surface damage to the vehicle's alloy or steel wheels. Cosmetic surface damage includes abrasions, scratches, and scrapes to the wheel/rim of your vehicle that is deemed repairable after inspection by and within the sole discretion of our technician.
It then goes on to a section of What's Not Covered and makes no mention of anything that would lead me to believe a curb scratch is not covered.
In fact, it seems specifically what this coverage is for...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts