SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to bolster my scrape plate with a swapped-in metal one. Is it possible to swap just the outlined areas and not the whole bumper? I would like to keep my current headlight sprayer set up. Thanks!
Grille Automotive lighting Car Light Automotive design

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

·
Registered
2002 V70XC
60 Posts
I'm not sure what you are proposing. Are you saying you want to cut out the section of the newer bumper skin and graft in the entire center section from the earlier skin? Well, yeah, anything is possible, but making it look good is another thing altogether. There is the plastic welding method using hot wires to melt into the plastic and hold pieces together, but then you still have to fill the gap at the seam and finish it somehow. If I recall correctly, that little aluminum piece has studs and a couple of nuts attaching it to the bumper skin. As suggested, you can probably just drill a couple holes and stick it on your current bumper.

Brett

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure what you are proposing. Are you saying you want to cut out the section of the newer bumper skin and graft in the entire center section from the earlier skin? Well, yeah, anything is possible, but making it look good is another thing altogether. There is the plastic welding method using hot wires to melt into the plastic and hold pieces together, but then you still have to fill the gap at the seam and finish it somehow. If I recall correctly, that little aluminum piece has studs and a couple of nuts attaching it to the bumper skin. As suggested, you can probably just drill a couple holes and stick it on your current bumper.

Brett
Boat Watercraft Vehicle Rectangle Naval architecture
my hope is can remove part 26 and replace it with an aluminum. Going to try my luck in the junkyard tomorrow

·
Registered
2002 V70XC
60 Posts
So 26 is plastic on the newer model bumper? I'd just add the aluminum piece. I don't know what the bumper skin is like under part 26, but it will probably look terrible without it.

Brett

1 - 6 of 6 Posts