SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
17,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ive always wanted a blue car. It's my favorite color. Always been obsessed with water too. Which, naturally lead me to boats (as well as becoming a civil-hydraulics engineer as my profession) and as a result, and by family, Volvo wagons.

Over the years I had seen a few Ocean Race edition XC70s and XC90s in person. Really fell in love with Ocean Blue Pearl (458) the more times I saw it.

In September of 2019 my friend Lucas bought a 2002 Ocean Race V70 XC sight unseen in New England from his desk in Florida. Flew up and brought it by a week later to get a quick once over. The color had me the second it turned into the driveway. I had to have one. You all probably saw pictures of it when the 2003 T5M went to the keys last winter.

When the 1999 Pewter T5 wagon was found to be rusting out in the fall of 2020, the search for a replacement began....

And here it is! Everyone, please welcome my "Argo". A rescue and revival adventure begins!

·
Registered
17,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
2006 XC70 Ocean Race #? (we dont know yet the plaque is missing, this information will be found) was unfortunately totaled/written off from a piece of lumber impacting its transmission. Now, we're all saying, ok sure but thats no reason to total a vehicle. Well, insurance companies operate in strange ways. So be it.

This ORXC finds itself adopted by our patron saint of southern Volvos, ProlixArgon.

I get word of it, give it a good long think (like a year, seriously), beg and plead (discuss financial tidings to make said project happen) and, as of 10 days ago, resurrection efforts have begun!

·
Registered
17,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As she sits

·
Registered
17,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now the fun begins.

A few notable and important details.

1) It is THIS picture of Prolix's "Lurch" that introduces me to "Talos" wheels, particularly on an XC70.

2). Lucas's OR that sealed the need for swede:

Ironically the literal actual set of OR edition Oreander wheels on Lucas's OR are off of this 2006.

Some of the lessons from building the 03 and 02 were also instrumental in helping make the decision. Namely 316mm brakes and 22mm rear sway bars.

Reactions: sundstmp

·
Registered
17,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heres a teaser shot of sort of what this wagon will look like:

Needs wang. Will happen.

Mounted 225/60r17 Nokian WRG4 All Weather tires on the dedicated set of Talos today.

Powerflex/xc70 rubber control arms and P2R motor mounts got sent down for the assembly.

Oh yea, the idea to replace the entire subframe/transaxle was presented (not sure I had an option otherwise) and gladly accepted:

Dang. Southern cars are CLEAN.

·
Registered
17,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
A few notes on name, the mythology and the perhaps not coincidental circumstances

"Argo was constructed by the shipwright Argus and its crew were specially protected by the goddess Hera. The best source for the myth is the Argonautica. According to a variety of sources of the legend, Argo was said to have been planned or constructed with the help of Athena. According to other legends, she contained in her prow a magical piece of timber from the sacred forest of Dodona, which could speak and render prophecies."

We can all play along with who's who in the modern reincarnation.

The idea to name the wagon after the "first cruising" sailboat naturally ties into the wagons utility, its ocean race pedigree and that my family once had a sailboat named, Argo.

Where that idea gains major traction is that: "She contained in her prow a magical piece of timber"

In this case, a 2x4 that makes this from sad beginnings story a possibility.

But it gets better/more coincidental.

Orpheus is a crew member on the mythical ARGO and also the 2006 V70 Ocean Race edition wheel.

...and more coincidental yet again...

Talos are the wheels chosen for this XC, but also "Talos prevented them from landing on Crete. Talos kept guard, running round the island thrice every day; wherefore, when he saw the Argo standing inshore, he pelted it as usual with stones." Rather ironic. Kind alike what tires do. Keep the car from touching the ground and sometimes pelt it with stones.

Kinda cool, kinda weird, kinda like it. Am rolling with it.

The Argonautica is an epic poem written in the 3rd century BC. The only surviving Hellenistic epic, the Argonautica tells the myth of the voyage of Jason and the Argonauts.

Seemed fitting to describe the adventures that will occur in the building and life of this wagon as such.

·
Registered
2016 Chevy Volt Premier (but I want an S90 or V90)
28 Posts
A few notes on name, the mythology and the perhaps not coincidental circumstances

"Argo was constructed by the shipwright Argus, and its crew were specially protected by the goddess Hera. The best source for the myth is the Argonautica. According to a variety of sources of the legend, Argo was said to have been planned or constructed with the help of Athena. According to other legends, she contained in her prow a magical piece of timber from the sacred forest of Dodona, which could speak and render prophecies."

We can all play along with who's who in the modern reincarnation.

The idea to name the wagon after the "first cruising" sailboat naturally ties into the wagons utility, its ocean race pedigree and that my family had a sailboat named, Argo.

Where that idea gains major traction is that: "She contained in her prow a magical piece of timber"

In this case, a 2x4 that makes this from sad beginnings story a possibility.

But it gets better/more coincidental.

Orpheus is a crew member on the mythical ARGO and also the 2006 V70 Ocean Race edition wheel.

...and more coincidental yet again...

Talos are the wheels chosen for this XC, but also "Talos prevented them from landing on Crete. Talos kept guard, running round the island thrice every day; wherefore, when he saw the Argo standing inshore, he pelted it as usual with stones." Rather ironic. Kind alike what tires do. Keep the car from touching the ground and sometimes pelt it with stones.

Kinda cool, kinda weird, kinda like it. Am rolling with it.

The Argonautica is an epic poem written in the 3rd century BC. The only surviving Hellenistic epic, the Argonautica tells the myth of the voyage of Jason and the Argonauts.

Seemed fitting to describe the adventures that will occur in the building and life of this wagon as such.
God, I love the Volvo community. And I love literature so you get 2x points for this post.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Never thought I'd see a Hellenistic epic referenced in such detail for a car name, well done and good luck with this future beaut!!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
261 Posts

Reactions: fusace and 855RI

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Looking forward to seeing this progress!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: fusace

·
Registered
573 Posts
Heres a teaser shot of sort of what this wagon will look like:

View attachment 119112

Needs wang. Will happen.
Hey I know that pic :) I was wondering if you were the "friend" Jared mentioned when asking for some of my pics :D Talos look great on the XCs as I believe you've mentioned before, but on an OR...yea!

And yes, needs wang. Mine too. Still on my list.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this build. M66?

·
Registered
17,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok this gets better/more coincidental yet again.

Lucas's dad has a Sparkman & Stevens ketch named.......Argonaut.

I had no idea. Cant make this sh*t up.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
I do love me some Ocean Race Blue, but I had you down for importing a V70 ORE. The bumpers are off already, so any plans to remove the rest of the cladding and make your own?

·
Registered
2004 V70 T5M
2,203 Posts
Can’t wait to see this one really take off. My ideal fleet would be a T5M (check), late MY, clean XC70, and an R just to round the P2 family off. Like the Mystic build, this one’ll probably be my template if I ever do pursue that garage.
Hats off to you, Will. Let the fun begin.

Reactions: sundstmp

·
Registered
533 Posts
I am 100% into this. When I lost my 2004 blue XC70, I knew this was the thing to replace it.

I've raced Hobie, J/30 nationals. I had no idea SB was also a sailor. So cool. I can't wait to see this progress.

BTW, for the real sail enamored, it crossed my screen a few days ago, the world's most famous yacht is up for sail right now. Named after the plane, the Gipsy Moth IV, a custom Camper & Nicholson can be yours...

·
Registered
17,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Acquired a very special piece of Ocean Race memorabilia:

2006 Ocean Race Finish - Gothenburg

Reactions: fusace

·
Registered
13,315 Posts
Congrats Will - the OR cars are really cool!

·
Registered
17,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I do love me some Ocean Race Blue, but I had you down for importing a V70 ORE. The bumpers are off already, so any plans to remove the rest of the cladding and make your own?
No. Its staying XC trim. For good reasons...

1 - 20 of 181 Posts