SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1661 - 1680 of 1712 Posts

·
Registered
2004 V70R M66 | 2013 C30 M66 | 1996 855 AW42
518 Posts
Alarm module is not likely to cause issue because it’s a slave node off the UEM. Could be worth a shot? If UEM was unplugged during testing and no change it rules it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,663 ·
Alarm module is not likely to cause issue because it’s a slave node off the UEM. Could be worth a shot? If UEM was unplugged during testing and no change it rules it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UEM was removed from network, no change.

Siren was replaced.

Is a factory setup car, engine has never been out or harness disturbed

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
S-B, what about the CEM itself? This is the module underneath the steering column area, outboard, that (on a 1999-2004 P2) has a bunch of relays? Possible that a power relay or two has developed arced over or carbon traced short(s) across the board itself? Been awhile but thought Xeomodex simply swapped out all the relays to "rebuild" it? Has the board itself been examined under a low power lighted magnifier?

·
Registered
19,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,665 ·
S-B, what about the CEM itself? This is the module underneath the steering column area, outboard, that (on a 1999-2004 P2) has a bunch of relays? Possible that a power relay or two has developed arced over or carbon traced short(s) across the board itself? Been awhile but thought Xeomodex simply swapped out all the relays to "rebuild" it? Has the board itself been examined under a low power lighted magnifier?
Just got it back from xemodex a second time. No faults found, program transferred to a new/different reman unit. Know it works cause the car starts but that’s about all I got working electrically

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Noisy power source? Have you tried running with the alternator disconnected?

The problem becomes if it's more than one component causing the problem. With so many components, the number of permutations gets large.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,667 ·
Wagon lives!

It was apparent that the diagnosis information everyone was feeding me was useless. Throwing parts at the car was not working.

So, fault analysis time. Issues were canbusL short to ground taking out the network. Ok, lets pull out the volvo canbus troubleshooting information and see what the false positives are and where to go from there.

Ok, its not the CEM, is not in the engine bay. Is water ingress related. Break the can downstream of the cluster, voila, have display. Ok its in the body harness. Start isolating sub networks. Not REM, not UEM, not CCM/AUM, not Drivers side doors. Passenger door harness unplugged, issue resolves. Start stripping the passenger door. Not the mirror, PDM, audio, window. Uh, door latch?

WTF. Its the door latch! The door latch is on the canbus. Latch unplugged, network alive. Latch plugged in, network dead. Faint water marks on the weather stripping right above the latch!

Reassemble car, door latch electrically disconnected. Test drive, a ok.

Acquire new door latch, install, harden that side of the weather stripping against water ingress (silicone grease), clean the weather stripping. Stress test with water, a ok.

Holy F that was BULLSH*T.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Bet it feels good to be driving it again! Probably quite a contrast to the XC.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: rockstarjake79

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Well Done! Gotta tell you, if I lived in the NE, I would've taken you up on the offer last year to get it our of your fleet. Glad you sorted it out instead of letting it go to parts.

Reactions: rockstarjake79

·
Registered
19,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,676 ·
Afternoon projects:

Figured out why cabin fan wasn’t working (fuse pulled)

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

Install new (to me) intact rubber sliccctop drip rail trim with new clips (why I was at the dealer before). Only did one side for now, much detail cleaning was required of both the car and the new piece.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Automotive parking light

Used the wipe new trim treatment that’s been fantastic on the XC on the faded grey plastic accents. Sharp!
Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Wheel Tire

Some ppl may have noticed that my vanity front plate lost its contrasting paint. I got a long look from a cop directing traffic this morning so decided to do something about it. Technically this is the correct registration and state. I think it’s less conspicuous than a blank front plate. Certainly fits the front end design better. Genuine Volvo euro plate holder leaves something to be desired in terms of security but at least it’s not a real plate.

·
Registered
2004 V70 T5M -- 2019 V90CC T6
3,402 Posts
They had NOS mouldings? Nice.

·
Registered
19,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,678 ·
They had NOS mouldings? Nice.
Nah. I pulled these off a 29k v70 na that had sat in the shade somewhere for 15 years. Very dirty with pollen mud ect but maybe it acted as sunscreen. Is minty

·
Registered
19,879 Posts
Nice score on the trim! Who pulled the cabin fan fuse??
I love that sneaky-looking plate with raised with no contrast.
Can't recall what happened and why it looks like that.
Afternoon projects:

Figured out why cabin fan wasn’t working (fuse pulled)

Install new (to me) intact rubber sliccctop drip rail trim with new clips (why I was at the dealer before). Only did one side for now, much detail cleaning was required of both the car and the new piece.

Used the wipe new trim treatment that’s been fantastic on the XC on the faded grey plastic accents. Sharp!

Some ppl may have noticed that my vanity front plate lost its contrasting paint. I got a long look from a cop directing traffic this morning so decided to do something about it. Technically this is the correct registration and state. I think it’s less conspicuous than a blank front plate. Certainly fits the front end design better. Genuine Volvo euro plate holder leaves something to be desired in terms of security but at least it’s not a real plate.

·
Registered
19,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,680 ·
Nice score on the trim! Who pulled the cabin fan fuse??
I love that sneaky-looking plate with raised with no contrast.
Can't recall what happened and why it looks like that.
Deicer in PA ruined the front plate paint early 2020

1661 - 1680 of 1712 Posts