SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 769 Posts

·
Registered
19,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
September 15th I found this wonderful 2003 V70 T5 manual wagon on craigslist. I was in Maine for work at the time so I sent Hounddogger to investigate. His boots on the ground report was promising so I sent a deposit, went to look at it in person when I got back from Maine and ultimately decided to buy it. Picked her up yesterday, uneventful drive home from upstate NY. Passed emissions this morning and now its registered and ready to go. Ive adopted her from JakeT5 who bought her new and was a very diligent first owner. The original window sticker will be getting framed.

·
Registered
19,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First mornings projects:

Poly mounts. Lower was in 2 pieces.

Engine cover ventilation mod

Wastegate adjustment

Stole the wheels off the emerald for the time being

Time for suspension and brake upgrades.

·
Registered
19,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

There's a factory painted wing in the back seat and I'm waiting on the mounting kit and the 05+ sport shift knob for 5 speeds to arrive from my local dealer

·
Registered
19,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's a looker to the wagon people, and a ghost to everyone else.
REALLY well done, and the emerald may need to get a different set. Those make that car look great, and the wing will add flair.
What's up with the driver's seat door side bolster? Is that just an image flaw?
Drivers booster is split. It was fixed functionally with gorilla tape. Is on the list but not a major priority.

It'll be even stealthier when I debadge it.

·
Registered
19,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmm, Scottish with a P2. I'm intrigued. Following so when I ditch my 2000 I know what to do on my next aquisition.
Don't hold your breath. This is a learning experience

·
Registered
19,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In hindsight I probably should have, but it just didn't cross my mind at the time as I haven't been a regular here in quite some time. We're still a Volvo family though, and the 2017 XC90 in the garage isn't going anywhere for a long time (hopefully).

I'm just really excited that someone from here bought her who is going to give her a great home. We owned that wagon for over 15 years, drove over 170k miles, owned 3 houses, had 2 kids and 2 dogs during our time with the wagon. It was the first car we bought new and she never let us down.

I did find a picture from Oct 2003 (when she was 3 month old), right after I applied my swedespeed stickers (which flaked off after a decade or so).

I'm super happy to be a worthy second owner. The wagon is growing on me by the hour.

New daily commute when used for pleasure.

Honing the P2 fwd chassis and manual transmission drivetrain for ultimate road trip ability as well as twisty coast road drive ability.

·
Registered
19,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great find.... very nice car. I guess the VT5M didn't get a space ball shifter, that might be a neat upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thinking differently

·
Registered
19,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
146 is such a great road to rip when it's not busy. Fun commute to Branford and back for sure.
It's been filled with cops recently quite to my dismay.

·
Registered
19,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·

·
Registered
19,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Improvements time

Bilstein Touring rears replaced aged oem shocks. I thought this would be relatively easy but the back seats don't fold and I didn't know any of the bolt sizes so it took longer than expected.

305s are crusty and don't stop great

Hmmm

HMMMM

Aw yea. 316s.

The Bosch pads suck. They'll be going back to fcp asap.

The headlights also suck. Time for E codes or splice harnesses for the 05+ lights.

Brake project was much needed

Looks like I'm due for control arms

Yea these gotta go. Bilstein Touring soon. Bump stops are gone so I'll be doing a full strut rebuild.

Debating eibach springs or just new Volvo sport springs.

Highway driving was quite economical today!

·
Registered
19,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
I, like many others I'm sure, am thrilled to death to have you fully join P2 wagon world, wang and all. I will be following this thread…and it doesn't seem like it's gonna be too long before you pass the things I've done to your car's Southern twin. I'm pretty excited about your knob/boot choice, and excited to see how it looks installed. I still think you eventually will want to upgrade to an 05+ console, since that boot will work fine with it.

Did you not have much of a noticeable difference when you added the upper poly mount? I did the lower poly mount probably a year ago, and just finally put in the poly upper mount a couple months ago. I thought I was safe from the punitive vibes since I had a manual…but I'm on the verge of going back to OEM rubber there. It's bad. Also, let me know when you get an idea of what your mixed driving MPGs are. I'd give ANYTHING to see 29.5 on my dash…even for 100% highway cruising…
The vibration you're getting with poly is probably due to worn out engine mounts. The motor settles and vibrates against the subframe. I lightly have this issue at the moment but I know that in the past with all new motor mounts that's not been the case. I also still have the soft upper engine bar mounts at the moment.

·
Registered
19,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
When we bought our 01 V70 T5M several years ago it had the same split. The dealer had the seat removed from the
car, sent to an auto upolsterer, and they sewed it shut, it has held up nicely although visible.

There is one up on Tolland if none are near you.

Can you post the p/n's for the wing mount kit, shifter boot and shift knob? I read somewhere that people
are fitting the S40 shifter and cables, not sure what the benefit is.

sport shift knob

sport boot

Wagon wang mounting kit

·
Registered
19,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Subbed control arms eh? Doing poly there like the pewter? I may be willing to contribute to that project if you are interested... ;) I do have a ser of p2 wagon arms sitting here, ready for new bushings...just sayin'
Pewter doesn't have poly.

·
Registered
19,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I thought you did poly all around the front suspension. Maybe I misunderstood then when I drove it last year.

Either way if you want these arms I'm probably not going to use them. Should fit your wangon nicely
What are they from?

·
Registered
19,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·

·
Registered
19,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Yup. I'm gonna end up scrapping then, not doing me any good. They had ~30k on them. Yours no charge if you change your mind, ready for new bushings. Saves ya about $200 if you press in rubber bushings on the rear and PPS poly from eeuroparts for $30. I'll even wire wheel em clean and spray em black if you want, make em look purdy for ya lol
Na. Rather get oem aluminum or steel control arms. I'm on a rabid anti aftermarket kick

·
Registered
19,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Doing research.

The wagon has the 19mm rear sway bar and a 24mm front bar.

Ipd is having a sale.....rear bar upgrade time I think

1 - 20 of 769 Posts