SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
16,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As the pewter T5 is out of commission for the moment/permanently my winter beater has become my daily. Figured I would make a build and daily life of the car thread since it's going to be around for a while.

Picked it up off Craigslist down in Fairfield CT on 9/29 and rolled 178k on the way home.

The right things checked out. Pcv was clear, Volvo t belt and newer water pump, went like a bat out of hell, no smoke of any kind, rms was dry, trans good, axles good, 3 Nokian wrg series tires and the body/interior in acceptable condition. $1200 and I was on my way.

178k on the way home.

Welcome to the family little sedan.

Well what do you know, Volvo plugs!

Replaced the rear shocks first since they were bouncy.

Air filter was Volvo too. But it got a new Mann one anyway.

New Volvo plugs, cabin filter, oil change, magnetic drain plug, base wagon rear springs (I like those in a sedan since it lifts the rear and makes the ride better with any kind of load).

·
Registered
16,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Next up was fixing the dents in the drivers rear door, the easy way.

Much better.

Then we got a 740 SE and the driveway was REALLY full

The lights sucked so I ordered used jewels.....

They arrived in pieces.

Damnit.

Borrowed the moondisasters wheels so I could mount a fresh set of Nokian wrg3 on the Cetus

Awesome tires if you have to only have one set for a car.

Also put on a full set of XC mudflaps, made the sunroof work and added an eggcrate grille

AND replaced the delta link anchorages since one had split in half and I was in there anyway

Had fully assembled front struts on hand so those got put in

As well as new calipers, pads, rotors and brake lines since I had them.

Put the prototype not even buttoned up projector kit I made back in April to have acceptable lighting at night

Next was a healthy etm

Modified for a better seal

And vvt that wasn't sticking

Since the wagon had just died, I stole the strut bar

And added a prancing moose under hood. Also an 05+ power steering reservoir.

Delrin subframe bushings for crisp handling and chassis rigidity, meyle HD end links (only thing they make that's good), trw inner and outer tie rod ends.

Did the turbo return drain o ring and seal as well. Then, got it aligned.

·
Registered
16,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Next up, cosmetics and function.

Sourced a clean trunk that came with a wing

Bought jewel glass from Europe (ouch, $120 to my door), took apart the broken jewels, put projectors in the scratched up housings, glued the bowl mounts back on, added 4500k HIDs and HIR highs, rewired everything from another set of bushings with good harnesses and put them in.

Annoyed by a light exhaust leak, I tried to fix the crappy coupler that had been added, got fed up and put the jetex touring I had in a box on the sedan.

Stealth tip!

Light bar off the pewter also migrated to the S70

As did some 15mm spacers for the rear

Euro ABM corners came with the big order of Volvo R Headlight glass for my friends. Xpel added to all the lenses.

Labrador shipping investigator approves.

182k this afternoon and that brings us to today.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
This just got continually better and better as I was reading it. Glad to see you have something to keep your mind off the pewter for a little bit.

If you ever plan to maybe make HID 850 housings from OEM reflectors, drop me a line and I'd be willing to help fund some research ;).

·
Registered
63,540 Posts
Familiar and becoming nice, but not an SE just a GLT as far as I can tell

·
Registered
16,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Familiar and becoming nice, but not an SE just a GLT as far as I can tell
Title said it, rear was baged SE. I'm happy I didn't get heliums with it though. Would be nice if it had the black marble but redburl is acceptable. Either way it's turbo and that's what matters.

·
Registered
16,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This just got continually better and better as I was reading it. Glad to see you have something to keep your mind off the pewter for a little bit.

If you ever plan to maybe make HID 850 housings from OEM reflectors, drop me a line and I'd be willing to help fund some research ;).
Send me a set. Actually, might as well just subsidize me getting a JY set it'll be cheaper.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
As the pewter T5 is out of commission for the moment/permanently my winter beater has become my daily. Figured I would make a build and daily life of the car thread since it's going to be around for a while.
Just can't beat these as a DD. Solid, quiet, comfy and zippy to boot. :thumbup::thumbup:

Ask the Investigator, he knows.

·
Registered
16,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just can't beat these as a DD. Solid, quiet, comfy and zippy to boot. :thumbup::thumbup:

Oh I love it. It grew on me very quickly. Snappy is the name of the game. Sport touring exhaust is painfully quiet which is fine. I don't even think about it at all.

Elsie approves but is disappointed it's not dog waggin 2.0

·
Registered
12,915 Posts
Title said it, rear was baged SE. I'm happy I didn't get heliums with it though. Would be nice if it had the black marble but redburl is acceptable. Either way it's turbo and that's what matters.
Nice find. Look forward to seeing what you do with this one.

Shifter also gives it away as an SE. Wonder what happened to the Heliums?

·
Registered
16,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tossed the ZLine AS and Comets on the sedan since they're not in use right now.

So much better!

·
Registered
16,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks proper with those wheels
Kind of looks a little big actually. Something about the wagon roofline makes big wheels work better.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Kind of looks a little big actually. Something about the wagon roofline makes big wheels work better.
A little "Hot Wheels"-ish maybe? I dunno. Look pretty sharp to me.
Your ability to source exactly the right stuff to renew and replace makes me envious :thumbup:

Ooops. She knows. Sorry Elsie.

·
Registered
12,915 Posts
You guys are picky - looks great with the Comets. Wheel gap in front is probably more a function of it being parked on an incline.

·
Registered
16,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
You guys are picky - looks great with the Comets. Wheel gap in front is probably more a function of it being parked on an incline.
Yea and a full tank and trunk. Stopped at the pick n pull after a disappointing wagon investigation and it looked fine.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts

So much better![/QUOTE]

Very nice stance. She looks ready to go. Now you have to find another set. Perfect twin for the V.

·
Registered
16,210 Posts
About time this car got a thread!

I'm liking it on the Comets.

·
Registered
16,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

So much better!
Very nice stance. She looks ready to go. Now you have to find another set. Perfect twin for the V.[/QUOTE]

I have a second set of comets, in even mintier condition. Those are wrapped in Michelin Pilot super sports and saved for special summer occasions.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts