SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 402 Posts

·
Registered
17,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1999 S70 T5 M56 130k Black/Tan - Hilton Stage 2 supported by Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's on Perfos (Summer), Bridgestone Blizzak LM-32 on Meteors (Winter), 302mm 2000 V70R brakes w/ Akebono Ceramic Pads, iPd Swaybars, HD Rear Springs, HD Endlinks, Strut Tower Brace, Poly Engine, Transmission & Firewall Torque Mounts, Stainless Shifter Bushings, Snabb 3" Intake, Do88 Intercooler, Green 465 cc Injectors, iPd 3" Turbo Back Sport Exhaust, XC Grille, AWD Mudflaps, E Codes & Euro Corners

Looking back on 10 months of owning this car I thought it would be a good idea to make an ownership and build progress thread.

Sunday February 1st 2015 an ad posts on the local craigslist for a 1999 S70 T5M. 22 minutes later i've left a message and by that evening have arranged to look at it first thing Monday morning. 5 months of searching and what I want shows up right in my backyard.

Car had low miles, 109k. T belt done, some front end parts replaced. Needed tires and spring seats. Knock the price down to reasonable and a deal is made. Take delivery the following friday. Spend the evening reading the owners manual front to back. Finally have the car I dreamed of when I saw it at volvo day 17 years ago.

As she sat, day of delivery. First P80 car added to the fleet of 740/760/940s.

Registered and taken for the first test drive. Worlds apart from the Toyota Corolla I learned stick on.

Immediate work was getting a cracked perfo swapped out and new rubber put on. Opted for michelin pilot sport a/s 3's. Costco had a great deal and they rebalance the tires for free whenever you want. Resolve to do this every rotation and oil change.

All season tires aren't great in the snow so a 940 was commandeered for a trip to Burlington with a friend to pick up a like new pair of nokian nordman 4s and a set of xc70 naiad rims to mount them on. Deal of the century even with the roadtrip.

Installed a new thermostat since the heat was not working and the car would cool down while driving. Ten degree temperatures in CT didn't help. This would be the first of many trips to FCP.

And then it snowed and showed and snowed. Driving stick with gnarly snow tires made for good fun and many trips to the car wash. Some point during all the snow I had the struts and spring seats replaced. Dropped the car off and went sledding all day. More than one way to have fun.

Got an XC grille and swapped it on. This was the first mod. Such a great cosmetic improvement. Better airflow isn't bad either!

Snow day road trip! Got far too much enjoyment watching SUVs spin out on flat ground trying to accelerate and brake while I just cruised along in the Volvo. Those swedes know how to make a winter capable car. This was just after coming back from an overnight on cape cod. Rt 6 had a decent coating from overnight snow but the volvo didnt care.

Went to the caribbean and backpacked for nine days and then didnt do much volvo stuff for the next month or so beyond driving it.

Upgraded my brake pads to Akebono ceramics when the snow was finally gone and the snow tires were put away.

Sourced a rear spoiler off Craigslist while visiting friends back at school in PA. Became grateful I never had a car especially a manual while I was in college, the hill ahem vertical mountain starts are brutal. Anyway, spoiler on with 3M tape, looking sharp!

Took the S70 backpacking for my friends birthday! Not quite wagon capable in terms of gear but got us to a trail out to a beautiful pond in the north east corner of the state.

And now the madness really begins.

IPD poly torque mount.

Time for fog lights. Bunch of junkyard trips and some boxes from IPD made these possible. Too many deer locally not to have these.

Added rear mud flaps from a junkyard parts trip. Because black car and dirt road means ocd levels of car washing.

Euro corners get swapped on after my stock ones fall out on the highway after a particularly nasty set of potholes. Ouch.

Watched a piece of firewood go bouncing down the highway in the next lane. IPD skid plate, painted to match, gets installed for piece of mind. Also touched up the grille and painted the eggcrate gloss black to match at the same time. 20 minutes to tape, 2 minutes to paint.

Heater core begins to fail. Such an easy diy job. Less than thirty minutes start to finish.

All back together, washed and looking pretty.

New headlight and fog light bulbs. Ultrastars and nightbreakers. Best headlights on any car ive driven so far.

Can't neglect your other toys or they start to get jealous.

Road trip time! Picked up a set of meteors with snows, hit BTs Smokehouse on the way home

And another road trip! This time to western North Carolina. Wouldn't be right to drive there and not conquer the dragon.

Looking at pictures taken during my run of the dragon, the stock suspension has just about had it. Time for upgrades.

Strut tower brace because it's easy. Killed the torque steer.

Rear hd springs from IPD. Wanted to keep stock ride height.

Most of the summer is trouble free and enjoyable driving. Turned over 120k! 11k of ownership and i'm loving every day of it.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Quite the jump from a bunch of redblocks to a RN whiteblock.

·
Registered
17,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
302 mm brakes and ss Volvo trim as a self gifted birthday present.

Have IPD sways, had end links put in while we're out sailing. What an amazing upgrade, car handles like its on rails now. Under steer is essentially gone.

Sounds like the turbo is shot. Would explain the oil consumption I've been having. Pick up a spare for rebuild.

Oh 95. Why must you abuse my beloved car so badly. Rock chip takes out my drivers side headlight. Turns out the reflectors are kind of shot. Lucky I picked up some like new housings at the junkyard while in Rhode Island for work. Swap on E code lenses and my ultra stars.

Love the improved light pattern.

Debadged the trunk, going to update the look.

IPD poly firewall mount gets installed.

Trunk rebadged with updated Volvo letter spacing, s70 moved to left lower corner, t5 changed to larger size and Motorsport badge added as a hint to the t5 "m" nature of the car

Go to replace my exhaust tip with a nice new old stock Volvo stainless one and discover it's beginning to rust out along the weld. Welp, wanted to do a turbo back anyway. Thank you IPD for having a sale and shipping 3 months earlier than expected.

Scavenge a new battery simply because why leave a new interstate on the garage floor when it could be living a happy life in the S70?

Installed snabb stainless shift bushings and ditched the short shift kit idea thanks to the community.

ETM was failing on me. Got that finally taken care of thanks to xemodex.

It's a royal pain to do just because of the space and angles the work is done at. Lost a torx driver behind the oil catch can annoyingly. That'll be there till the end of time, or pcv service.

Halloween afternoon was absolutely gorgeous. Went out in search of Autumn scenery to photograph, didn't find anything good on its own so the Volvo got some limelight.

Decided to do the snabb intake on Sunday.

Crap. It's the wrong kit. Order mix up.

FCP is making it right though! Should have it together tomorrow mid morning and ready for the Nutmeg State Volvo Pumpkin Rally this coming weekend.

Dying to get the exhaust and dp on but not before the turbos rebuilt and installed. Do not want to get oil in that brand new cat if I can help it.

Next projects supplies arrived while I was at work today. Ride height improvements coming soon!

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Nice job

·
Registered
17,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Got the snabb intake finished up this morning after a quick trip to FCP.

Installed a new air filter while I was at it.

And changed out the front fog light switch to a better condition one that hopefully has a working bulb in it.

·
Registered
17,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Road tested fine no complications from the install. Think I might hear a tiny bit more intake noise but that might be in my head. 2-3k throttle response it significantly better than before, doesn't seem to choke past 4500 rpm anymore either. All in all I like it and think it's a good upgrade.

·
Registered
17,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got off the phone with G Pop Shop who's rebuilding my spare turbo, or was supposed to be. Seems that despite 6 layers of bubble wrap and air bags and newspaper in a good sized box, USPS was able to toss it around and break/bend a vane on the compressor. That really pisses me off. Going to go with a new CHRA in my original intake housing and hopefully have that ready to install next week. Then its exhaust upgrade time. I was wondering what was taking so long to rebuild the turbo.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Are you keeping the 16T?

·
Registered
17,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes. Don't see reason to upgrade beyond that it's plenty strong enough for tuning with the dp and exhaust I'm going to put on it. Think 15 psi is about target, well within 16t territory.

Unless anyone has a 18t lying around they want to sell me as a core?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I thought the 16T running 17 psi was enough until I drove an S70 tuned with a 19T. That was all it took for me to get the parts together to do the swap!

·
Registered
17,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I'll just have to stay away from Rs and highly tuned S/V70s. Idea is to not go totally crazy I still want a wagon eventually

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Ha. Understood.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I would get rods before running a high psi 19T

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I don't want to thread jack, but I am going to be running a pretty conservative tune on a 2000 R motor in my 98. It shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
17,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Define conservative. What's your horsepower goal?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Less than it would take to bend rods and blow stuff up.

·
Registered
17,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So less than 300 hp?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Less than 300 at the wheels, yes.

·
Registered
17,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You should be ok. Stock tune for a 2000 block with the 19t is 261 at the crank. You have a tme exhaust and yother dp, somewhere around 17-18 psi should make the power you're looking for. The advantage to the 19t is that it breathes more volume at the same speeds as the smaller ones, well, obviously.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I have all the supporting mods, and I have done a bunch of research and spoken with people who have the same setup I will have. I have spoken to several tuners and I am not going in blind. I am not simply slapping a big turbo on with some bigger injectors and hoping for the best.

1 - 20 of 402 Posts