SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 3241 Posts

·
Registered
17,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
And now, for something completely different......

3/17/16 I bought a 1999 V70 T5 Auto wagon in Silver Sand Metallic (Pewter) on charcoal with 213k off craigslist. In Vermont. Sight unseen.

FOR $300! I had been chasing potential daily driver wagons all over new england at 5-10x that price that were utter garbage. Zero expectations for this to be any different, however its a 3 owner car that was serviced at volvo its entire life so theres hope for it yet.

It has an xemodex etm, new alternator, factory wing, aluminum R trim, interior is passable, everything works. Its not awd so tires/angle gear/driveshaft wont be a headache. Its a T5 with ME7 so i'm happy with the availability of parts, its get up and go and the ability to use VIDA to troubleshoot.

At the very least its going to need front struts, inner/outer tie rod, right front wheel bearing and front brake work.

Plan is to go bring it home once I have the title, temp registration and insurance. Parking lot brake job first of course.

Hounddogger, R_Model and Swedishbriquette all have volunteered to help get her home. Hopefully it doesnt take 4 volvo enthusiasts to make it the 4 hours home to CT, but, why not be prepared and make an adventure of it?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Good deal man! Looks-wise nearly identical to mine. Hope it is in as good of shape as those pictures seem to make it. Glad to have you sticking around these parts.

·
Registered
17,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I hope it's as rust free and liveable interior wise. Drive it, fix it. Or, drive it, kill it, resurrect it as a 130k manual car. Or drive it, kill it, part it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: sundstmp

·
Registered
17,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Scottish is this the car youve been searching for all this time? Your unicorn?
Nope not even close. It's about 50% not my unicorn. I'd like a white/black awd manual high pressure turbo wagon.

Pewter/auto/fwd misses the mark but black interior, high pressure turbo and wagon meet it.

It's a good get back in the game platform

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Vermont can be a gamble for the whole rust thing right?

·
Registered
17,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Vermont can be a gamble for the whole rust thing right?
Which is why I would usually not consider a Vermont car. This one lives in PA for most of its life apparently, just spent the last 3 years in Vermont. Willing to risk it. Ultimate worst case scenario is it gets parted out. I'd live with moderate rust happily since this will never be a show car or even worth making mint. It's exactly the prefect rat rod sleeper. Make it invisible but fast. For the lols

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
That's the whole philosophy of tuning a Volvo lol

·
Registered
17,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's the whole philosophy of tuning a Volvo lol
Yea but a pewter wagon? My black s70 was subtly flashy, like your laser vR and like any well maintained and kept spit spot example of a fast Volvo.

Aim is to leave it stock, no eggcrate, no wing, no perfos, no t5 badge. Maybe lower it a hair since i have h&r springs. Just leave it looking invisible, boring and plain

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Laser and Sonic blue? Flashy? nahhhhhhhhhh :D:D

I'm totally used to the colors obviously, and I forget that my cars are both obnoxiously bright blue and I get looks in parking lots and stuff lol. And that reminds me lol

·
Registered
583 Posts
Nope not even close. It's about 50% not my unicorn. I'd like a white/black awd manual high pressure turbo wagon.

Pewter/auto/fwd misses the mark but black interior, high pressure turbo and wagon meet it.

It's a good get back in the game platform

well welcome back sir.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
So just a regular sleeper wagon. You aren't going to make any exterior modifications. A "rat rod" would be something else entirely.

·
Registered
17,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh is pretty ratty. Seats, dents, aluminum oxidation on the tailgate unless it's steel then there's rust under the paint.

For a real rat rod this would be a riot:

Volvo T5 driving a Ford T5 and a 940 solid rear axle

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I think the rear hatch is steel. Mine has a rust spot as well.

·
Registered
17,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think the rear hatch is steel. Mine has a rust spot as well.
Ah. 940/740 have a random spattering of steel and aluminum gates. Also my S70 had an aluminum deck lid because a magnetic St Andrews Cross wouldnt stick

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Yeah the tailgate is steel, mine is rusty under where that seal is. That seal is ****ty and keeps water and salt and shiit in there and then rusts.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It's about time you buy your second Volvo :p Nice find ScottishBrick, she looks good. I'm looking forward to seeing your new Volvo in person.
Oh..just one question, may I help detail your wagon?!

·
Registered
17,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think detailing it might be lipstick on a pig....but worth a shot, see how nice it can get :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
NICE find!! Come take the carcass of my donor R and make a Frankenstein volvo!!

·
Registered
17,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
NICE find!! Come take the carcass of my donor R and make a Frankenstein volvo!!
I thought you were going to make a rally car out of it, bash it around in the woods until it died or got wrapped around a tree?

1 - 20 of 3241 Posts