SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there:

have not driven the Pirelli oems on snow yet
How are the 21" OEMs on snow and winter driving in general?
I know they are wide tires 275, are they OK or bad ? How about the Michelin LTX premier?
I know snow tires are best, but it is a pain to change the wheels for every season.

·
Registered
994 Posts
We live in Colorado and we ski quite a bit. We have had no issues with the 20" Pirelli Scorpion Verdes as far as snow traction for multiple ski trips and one very snowy road trip to Park City. If you have 21" wheels aren't those summer-only tires? I thought only the 20's came with all-seasons.

I recently replaced the Pirelli's with Continental DWS 06's which have even better reviews for snow traction than the Pirellis do. I did not like the Pirelli's, but for different reasons than snow traction.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The oems SCORPION VERDE A/S NCS are all season with my understanding.

We live in Colorado and we ski quite a bit. We have had no issues with the 20" Pirelli Scorpion Verdes as far as snow traction for multiple ski trips and one very snowy road trip to Park City. If you have 21" wheels aren't those summer-only tires? I thought only the 20's came with all-seasons.

I recently replaced the Pirelli's with Continental DWS 06's which have even better reviews for snow traction than the Pirellis do. I did not like the Pirelli's, but for different reasons than snow traction.

·
Registered
702 Posts
The OEM Scorpions are OK in snow and ice for around town driving, etc. However snow tires are more than worth the effort of seasonal changes as the performance far exceeds the OEM tires. The XC90 is a tank in the snow with dedicated winter tires. Trips to ski country turn from white knuckle affairs to trips where you don't need to worry too much about the forecast. There is a pinned thread about winter tires below with numerious mentions of and comments on performance vs the OEM Scorpions.

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...-to-get-a-second-set-of-rims-tires-for-winter

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
The OEM Scorpions are OK in snow and ice for around town driving, etc. However snow tires are more than worth the effort of seasonal changes as the performance far exceeds the OEM tires. The XC90 is a tank in the snow with dedicated winter tires. Trips to ski country turn from white knuckle affairs to trips where you don't need to worry too much about the forecast. There is a pinned thread about winter tires below with numerious mentions of and comments on performance vs the OEM Scorpions.

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...-to-get-a-second-set-of-rims-tires-for-winter
Totally agree! Scorpion Verde are pretty good on snow and my basis of comparison are Nokian studded Hakka 8 we use on our 2010 XC90 for most of mountain winter driving. XC90 T8 eAWD is excellent at pulling up thick snow and even slush with Scorpion Verde but ideally if you're going to be going through winter weather with any frequency it's best to get a set of winter tires or at very least have socks or other traction device available. Getting moving is easy, and for stopping it's money well spent. Most people forget that just because you can go through snow or over ice, doesn't necessarily translate well into being able to stop in a hurry/safely.

·
Registered
152 Posts
One slightly different view on OEM pirelli scorpions here. We have the 20s on our T8. Wife complained that they do not handle ice and slush too well. I've always been ok with them through two winters but since she drives the kids around in the T8, we've gotten a spare set of almost new 20 inch R Design rims and come November this year, we'll likely go with Blizzak DMVs on them. Be interesting to see if the Inscription body styling goes with R Design wheels but at least we'll be very secure on snow and ice.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
One slightly different view on OEM pirelli scorpions here. We have the 20s on our T8. Wife complained that they do not handle ice and slush too well. I've always been ok with them through two winters but since she drives the kids around in the T8, we've gotten a spare set of almost new 20 inch R Design rims and come November this year, we'll likely go with Blizzak DMVs on them. Be interesting to see if the Inscription body styling goes with R Design wheels but at least we'll be very secure on snow and ice.

Good point! Driver, their preference, style, and ability to adjust to conditions makes a huge difference in the equation. Even then there’s no debating, the best traction between summer, “all seasons” and winter tires on snow and ice will be with winter tires.

I would much rather have winter tires (with studs preferably - we tow over passes in winter a lot, every weekend from Dec - April) and my family appreciates it. Last year I got caught a few inches of fresh pow with the T8 and it's Pirelli Scorpion Verde 20" rather than our XC90 3.2 with it's studded Hakkapeliitta 8. T8 with lesser tires (for winter) did fine but it could have gone badly on the descent if it had gotten worse.

Driving our 2010 XC90 on weekends over passes during the winter months is less worrisome (until I get some studded Hakkapeliitta 9 for T8). Hakkapeliitta make it so much easier to get through even the best pow conditions imaginable :)

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Also remember that they'll perform best when new. By the end of this winter I was getting near the wear bars on mine and I was really glad we didn't get any late snow.

Switched to Summers on 22" currently and I'll be getting some snows on the 20" for next winter.

For 90%+ of the weather I see it doesn't seem necessary, but I have to drive early mornings many days and can't depend on great conditions if the snow is heavy.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK If I have 19 wheels with the OEM tire 235/55/19 for the winter tires, DO I have to reprogram my speedometer every time I change from 21 to 19 and vice-versa?
using the https://tiresize.com/calculator/ it seems that the diameter is different for 235/55/19 and my current 275/40/21?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
OK If I have 19 wheels with the OEM tire 235/55/19 for the winter tires, DO I have to reprogram my speedometer every time I change from 21 to 19 and vice-versa?
using the https://tiresize.com/calculator/ it seems that the diameter is different for 235/55/19 and my current 275/40/21?
Do you HAVE to? No.

The difference in diameters is minor. The speedo will be off slightly but unless you’re really anal about it being spot on it won’t make a difference in the real world unless the cops are giving tickets for being 1 over the limit.

The difference is 0.5 mph at 30 mph or 1 mph at 60mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Using the tirecalculator

it seems that the circumference between 20",21" and 22" is very close 93.4", 93.1" and 92.9"
for the 19" the circumference is 91.6"

anyone had any issues going down to 19"?

Do you HAVE to? No.

The difference in diameters is minor. The speedo will be off slightly but unless you’re really anal about it being spot on it won’t make a difference in the real world unless the cops are giving tickets for being 1 over the limit.

The difference is 0.5 mph at 30 mph or 1 mph at 60mph.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Using the tirecalculator

it seems that the circumference between 20",21" and 22" is very close 93.4", 93.1" and 92.9"

I recently asked my dealer about this. They said you have to re-calibrate the car for going 19 to 20 (or 20 to 19), but not for changing between 20-21-22s. Something about the electric steering angle sensor.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Using the tirecalculator

Use willtheyfit.com it will give you the % Speedo error and mph error.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I recently asked my dealer about this. They said you have to re-calibrate the car for going 19 to 20 (or 20 to 19), but not for changing between 20-21-22s. Something about the electric steering angle sensor.
Good info! I hadn't thought about it and it's probably due to offset and width differences between 19 and 20s. Where as for 20 through 22 wheels are same width and offset. If accurate I'm glad my second set are 20 as well so I wouldn't have to worry about it. Although the better A/T tire options are for 19s.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts