SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Got this 2007 6-speed with 113K miles at auction today. Trade-in from one of of the big local dealers. Very clean inside and out and seems to run and drive good as I took it around the parking lot. The rear muffler was removed and put in the trunk. My only concern was it took a half gallon of water in the reservoir to turn off the coolant light. Hope it's not a head gasket but it wasn't smoking or over heating. There is a timing belt change sticker from a few thousand miles and months ago. What's it worth once all gone through and serviced up?

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I’d say a couple bucks at least. What did you give for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,451 Posts
Nice ES. Gobi? Maybe 4 or 5K? At least it has the sport kit.
Got this 2007 6-speed with 113K miles at auction today. Trade-in from one of of the big local dealers. Very clean inside and out and seems to run and drive good as I took it around the parking lot. The rear muffler was removed and put in the trunk. My only concern was it took a half gallon of water in the reservoir to turn off the coolant light. Hope it's not a head gasket but it wasn't smoking or over heating. There is a timing belt change sticker from a few thousand miles and months ago. What's it worth once all gone through and serviced up?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Test to make sure it doesn't have a cracked block before you sink anymore money into it.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Is that common? How do you test?
Most common signs are when left sitting for 24 hours doing a cold start, it’ll misfire and smoke a little for the first 5-15 seconds of startup

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Most common signs are when left sitting for 24 hours doing a cold start, it’ll misfire and smoke a little for the first 5-15 seconds of startup

OK I'll check but wouldn't a bad head gasket do the same?

·
Registered
951 Posts

Misfire maybe but white smoke may not be from coolant. A little bit of white smoke is common due to condensation in exhaust and doesn't immediately mean coolant unless it's severe. Easy to check if coolant hoses are expanding too much on hot engine. While no coolant in the expansion tank is concerning, it could be just a leaky radiator if original. They last around 10 years and this car is 13 years old.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
OK I'll check but wouldn't a bad head gasket do the same?
Headgaskets are really a non issue on the 5 cylinders. Get a combustion leak test kit to test the coolant for exhaust gases.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts