SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went in today to get my 37.5K maintenance check and the total came to over $400. THe previous 3 checks were free because they were complimentary with the new car. Do you guys reccomend getting everything they say to do or just get an oil change? Do you generally always go to the volvo dealer to get these check ups done?

·
Registered
908 Posts
Re: Scheduled Maintenance (ridek210)

That seems awfully expensive for the 37.5k mile service. According to Edmunds (and I take their info with a grain of salt), it should cost me about $70 to the 37.5k mile service in Cleveland. I know Cleveland and CT are differently priced markets but 6x the cost? That seems a little steep.<p>Did they change the brake fluid? Even if the basic service cost $100 - does it cost $300 to change brake fluid? <p>I think I'd find another dealer or a good independent shop. Making a profit is one thing...robbing the customer blind - that's something completely different. You should check out Edmunds, plug in your zip code and get the estimated cost.<p><A HREF="http://www.edmunds.com/used/2005/volvo/s40/100403689/maintenance.html" TARGET="_blank">http://www.edmunds.com/used/20....html</A><p>Good luck.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts

I think the first 4 maintenance is free because it is within the 36k miles. Seems like you went a little long on your last one. Or did you mean your 5th maintenance?<p>The free maintenance are performed at the following mileage:<br>7500<br>15000<br>22500<br>30000<br>

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Scheduled Maintenance (volvoNB)

Yeah I meant my 5th mainenanc check.. HEre is the list of performed tasks....<br>1. Air filter chnage<br>2. Brake fluis flushed<br>3.INspect windshield wipers and washers<br>4. Check and adjsut tire pressures<br>5.Checke tire conditions<br>6. Inspect brake linings (remove wheels)<br>7. Menu pol and filter change<br>8 Reset service reminder<br>9. Balance and rotate tires.<p><br>I actually went to the dealer where i bought this car to get it done. The parts only cost $102 but the labor is just under $300. Seems like the only major thing they did was Oil and Filter change which can be done anywhere else for a lot cheaper. Still wondering if next time just get oil changes somewhere else and not bring in my volvo for reccomended maintenance checks.

·
Registered
908 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>ridek210</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The parts only cost $102 but the labor is just under $300. Seems like the only major thing they did was Oil and Filter change which can be done anywhere else for a lot cheaper. Still wondering if next time just get oil changes somewhere else and not bring in my volvo for reccomended maintenance checks.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Wow - that's three hours of labor at the most expensive Volvo dealer in Cleveland. I can't believe it takes that long...maybe an hour or 90 minutes but not three hours. Not sure what the labor rate is in CT but I wouldn't visit that dealer again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (Dygitalpmp)

OK, so I just called the dealership and I guess its $125 per hour for labor. Obviously really expensice. All 3 volvo dealerships in my area are owened by the same guys and all labor is the same price. Has anyone else had thier 37.5k check and what did it cost? Do you all go to the dealership for service, or do you go somewhere else.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Good grief!! $125 an hour. I have seen up to $104 here in Westchester and thought it was highway robbery which is why I don't use a dealership here - only when I'm in Maine. I imagine that in your area there must some reputable independent Volvo shops you can try out that charge significantly less. Good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts