SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Techs get paid on the hours the job is rated at generally, so where the parts come from doesn't really matter. Not sure that I understand the point of saving the money for all the time invested, and as mentioned, they aren't Volvo parts. I realize Volvo parts aren't magical, but if you make a mistake and get inferior products then you are out a pretty big expense if something happens.

The 10, 20, and 30k service are all included with a new vehicle purchase and do carry to the next owner as well, though they have to be used up in the first 3 years. Our current full prepaid maintenance out through 100k without wear protection is something like $2700. That does include the brake fluid at 40 and 80k and the spark plugs when due as well. It also includes a key being replaced once a year. So that isn't a per visit cost, but gives an idea of cost of ownership. That does not include tires or rotation though.
I think the Key Fob replacement is a relatively new edition, too. My old plan, which covers brakes / pads / rotors / wipers (WEAR) as needed, does not include Key Fobs if I recall. Key Fobs aren't cheap either. Couple hundred bucks I believe if not more?

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
That's correct. Especially if you like the sport key, you can pretty well plan it so during your ownership you can always use the thing.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
The parts I install does not determine anything in regard to my pay. Some dealers might turn away aftermarket parts since they can't mark them up. I've even heard of some indy shops not allowing customers to supply parts for the same reason.

The dealer I work for doesn't do that. I've installed plenty of customer supplied parts. Only time I don't like doing it is wiper blades. I don't get paid to install them (and don't expect to). But I hate when someone brings in some cheap aftermarket blades with a bunch of universal adapters to fit any style arm that I have to monkey around with. At least if they supply Volvo ones it takes a second (and if they buy them from my dealer at least they make money, which helps keep the doors open).

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
The parts I install does not determine anything in regard to my pay. Some dealers might turn away aftermarket parts since they can't mark them up. I've even heard of some indy shops not allowing customers to supply parts for the same reason.

The dealer I work for doesn't do that. I've installed plenty of customer supplied parts. Only time I don't like doing it is wiper blades. I don't get paid to install them (and don't expect to). But I hate when someone brings in some cheap aftermarket blades with a bunch of universal adapters to fit any style arm that I have to monkey around with. At least if they supply Volvo ones it takes a second (and if they buy them from my dealer at least they make money, which helps keep the doors open).
As much as this pro bono grunt work is irritating, the silver lining is these niceties bring customers back to the dealer. Giving you a chance to "interact" with the customer and make service recommendations that hopefully lead to future work.

@DFrantz being a salesperson. The same concept applies to post sales. If DFrantz sells a car, and a week later the customer comes back in with some questions, it's in his interest to be accommodating. It builds a relationship with the customer that might turn into additional sales.

Your favorite things to do? Most likely not. The silver lining is these interactions can indirectly and directly benefit you down the road.

·
Registered
829 Posts

Yeah, I wouldn't be offended if my dealer refused to use something aftermarket because I understand. But I would certainly ask.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Heck I like helping people with Volvo questions so much I spend a fair amount of time here =-D
I'm not implying you don't enjoy your work. However, those mundane interactions (changing wipers, showing a new customer how to get the most out of their vehicles, etc) build rapport. As much as Tech hates people walking in with Crap Wipers he doesn't get paid to change, it doesn't mean this person won't buy another Volvo, Volvo Parts, or utilize service.

·
Registered
179 Posts
How do you do the search? After I click find a retailer I try to put in my zip and then nothing happens:
Pricing info also available on dealer websites when you do Schedule Service. You don't need to enter personal details to get pricing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The 10, 20, and 30k service are all included with a new vehicle purchase and do carry to the next owner as well, though they have to be used up in the first 3 years. Our current full prepaid maintenance out through 100k without wear protection is something like $2700. That does include the brake fluid at 40 and 80k and the spark plugs when due as well. It also includes a key being replaced once a year. So that isn't a per visit cost, but gives an idea of cost of ownership. That does not include tires or rotation though.
$2700 seems like a good deal for the 7 (40k through 100k) scheduled services... I'm having a hard time coming up with reasons not to jump on a prepaid maintenance plan... especially since they are transferable and can be cancelled for a prorated refund.

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
$2700 seems like a good deal for the 7 (40k through 100k) scheduled services... I'm having a hard time coming up with reasons not to jump on a prepaid maintenance plan... especially since they are transferable and can be cancelled for a prorated refund.
I'm generally surprised I don't sell more. I know it lacks the emotional excitement of a warranty (and I wish I were saying that sarcastically), but it's pretty much guaranteed savings and key replacement....

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
I've added up the projected cost of 40-100k on an S60, and it came to $4000. I took off 25% as most dealers run service specials, will discount stuff, etc. Still at $3k. You can run numbers on an XC90. Here's a dealer that lists cost. Prices may vary from market to market.

Volvo Maintenance Schedule | Volvo Cars Cincinnati East

Question boils down to savings vs. investing. If you're one that wants no worries and have the money now to get things done, prepaid not a bad idea. Especially if Financial situation is fluid.

Flip side, you're locking up $3k for 7 years and that money sits with Volvo. Prices will change on maintenance, but will loss of investing $3k ---> Greater than savings.

Two sided coin. I have prepaid. I'm happy.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I've added up the projected cost of 40-100k on an S60, and it came to $4000. I took off 25% as most dealers run service specials, will discount stuff, etc. Still at $3k. You can run numbers on an XC90. Here's a dealer that lists cost. Prices may vary from market to market.

Volvo Maintenance Schedule | Volvo Cars Cincinnati East

Question boils down to savings vs. investing. If you're one that wants no worries and have the money now to get things done, prepaid not a bad idea. Especially if Financial situation is fluid.

Flip side, you're locking up $3k for 7 years and that money sits with Volvo. Prices will change on maintenance, but will loss of investing $3k ---> Greater than savings.

Two sided coin. I have prepaid. I'm happy.
Would it be $3k at an indy shop?

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Would it be $3k at an indy shop?
Maintenance is relationship dependent service. I don't have the numbers in front of me on the cost of each plan. My plan at the time had a retail value of $3700. It included Brakes / Pads / Rotors / Wipers as needed. Plans have changed since then. New plans aren't as generous but still can save a decent amount money.

Here's the question
that you need to ask yourself: Let's say you purchase a 2021 XC90. A $60,000 vehicle. 10-30K service visits are free. What to do on 40k+

1. You can have a Volvo Dealer Do the work
2. You can have an Indie do the Work
3. You can DIY

#2 and #3 will always be cheaper. #2 because Indies charge a cheaper base rate than dealers. #3 for obvious reasons. The problem with #2 and #3 is that post 4 year / 50k warranty, Volvo has no obligation to assist. So let's say at 58,000 miles, your engine is trashed. Volvo is definitely not going to "Good Will" the guy who did the 40 and 50k either at an indie or a DIY. So save money, risk money.

Yes, there comes a time when an independent or and DIY make more sense. Up to each person to determine when that's necessary. Personally, if you're one that invests in an extended / VIP warranty, dealer servicing makes most sense.

If something breaks or goes wrong, Dealer knows what work was done, who did work, etc. Claim has better chance of getting approved. Volvo has no way of verifying if your Independent Shop or DIY was done improperly. So if something fails, you'll be fighting a bigger battle to get things approved, that may be maintenance related.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Check the cost at various dealers for different years. Costs are not the same for each year. If you are in a completive area served by multiple dealers, prepaid plan may not save you much. YMMV.

I commented on this 3 months ago include chart of 5 dealers and their prices for various years (in USD). If I go with Dealer 3, my 7 services is $2400.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts