SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Approximately how much do the scheduled maintenance visits cost these days at your average dealership? For example, Mercedes service A (10k) can usually be had for $200-250 and service B (20k) for 400-500. Haven’t been able to find this info for the xc90. I realize it will vary by region but just trying to get an idea.

Reason I ask is it seems Volvo prepaid maintenance is considerably more expensive than for a similar caliber Mercedes. Wanted to see how it translated in individual service costs, as I expected Volvo dealer service to be equal to or less than the premium German makes.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Approximately how much do the scheduled maintenance visits cost these days at your average dealership? For example, Mercedes service A (10k) can usually be had for $200-250 and service B (20k) for 400-500. Haven’t been able to find this info for the xc90. I realize it will vary by region but just trying to get an idea.

Reason I ask is it seems Volvo prepaid maintenance is considerably more expensive than for a similar caliber Mercedes. Wanted to see how it translated in individual service costs, as I expected Volvo dealer service to be equal to or less than the premium German makes.
Do you have the Volvo On Call Subscription? You can schedule maintenance at your nearest dealers. Each dealer will have their own prices based on labor hour rates and various fees. Interestingly enough...only one dealer recognizes my 10k service as free...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
833 Posts
Here's the 80k service rates for our 2017. I'll do the oil, air filter, and cabin air filter myself and save lot of money. I'll just take it in for the brake fluid, a tire rotate and a software update if one is available.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Here's the 80k service rates for our 2017. I'll do the oil, air filter, and cabin air filter myself and save lot of money. I'll just take it in for the brake fluid, a tire rotate and a software update if one is available.

I think the software update is only free if you take the full service, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
I think the software update is only free if you take the full service, but I could be wrong.
They are no longer free with services, unless the dealer chooses to include it in their price (not really free then anyway).

·
Registered
08 S60
17 Posts

It depends on the dealer. If you have a prepaid package past 30k then it should cost you nothing. Some dealers include different things that others dont, ie. tire rotations etc. Volvo doesnt have a tire rotation as part of their service. Also some shops cut things out of an initial service and upsell them to you to get you in the door. Hope this helps....

Volvo tech

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info! So if I understand correctly, every 10k should be in the neighborhood of $200 and every 40k with brake fluid will be closer to $600. That doesn’t include wear items or spark plugs. I’m a bit surprised to hear that they charge for software updates...

·
Registered
833 Posts
Thanks for the info! So if I understand correctly, every 10k should be in the neighborhood of $200 and every 40k with brake fluid will be closer to $600. That doesn’t include wear items or spark plugs. I’m a bit surprised to hear that they charge for software updates...
The 60k or 70k mile service should include spark plugs (I think it's 60k). But yeah, $150-$250 is what you'll likely pay for a basic 10k mile maintenance (it's just an oil change and inspection, and possibly an engine air filter?)

·
Registered
266 Posts

How do you do the search? After I click find a retailer I try to put in my zip and then nothing happens:

·
Registered
7,367 Posts

There is no "Standard Pricing". Every market is different. If you live in Los Angeles, Chicago, etc (Higher End Market), your costs stemming from elevated labor rates, will most likely be more than someone living in a lesser market.

I found this site will give you a ballpark of all prices: Volvo Maintenance Schedule | Volvo Cars Cincinnati East

Select your make, model, year, etc and then it'll tell you how much each service costs (Cincinnati, Ohio). But again, this is a ball park and just one dealer listing their prices online. Rates Vary per above. And dealers often run service specials and/or discount services for loyal customers.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
They are no longer free with services, unless the dealer chooses to include it in their price (not really free then anyway).
Not hijacking this thread, but just curious, how much does a typical all around brake / pad / rotor job usually cost on S60s? XC90s? Guess this factors into the value of whether a "PrePaid" is worth it under the new policies.

Add up all services + Number of Brakes + Rotors + Pads + Wipers. Tally total and discount maybe 20% (Service specials). See if the plan makes sense for people or not. Guessing, but in higher end markets, purchasing the prepaid plans may make more financial sense due to elevated labor rates.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Not hijacking this thread, but just curious, how much does a typical all around brake / pad / rotor job usually cost on S60s? XC90s? Guess this factors into the value of whether a "PrePaid" is worth it under the new policies.

Add up all services + Number of Brakes + Rotors + Pads + Wipers. Tally total and discount maybe 20% (Service specials). See if the plan makes sense for people or not. Guessing, but in higher end markets, purchasing the prepaid plans may make more financial sense due to elevated labor rates.
Those prices can vary as well. Front and rear pads and rotors on a SPA XC90 ballpark is $1200 to $1600 I'd say.

·
Registered
6,651 Posts

I would not go to dealer for brake service. People here know better than Volvo parts to buy and any shop can do it or DIY.

It is more helpful for peace of mind to spend the money on extended warranty.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I would not go to dealer for brake service. People here know better than Volvo parts to buy and any shop can do it or DIY.
Once I confirm the exact match for pads and rotors, I wouldn't mind buying the quality aftermarket pads and rotors but having the dealer install them. I save money, and they make money and it's done correctly, albeit the dealer likely won't warranty any part. Which is fine with me.

Tech, from your perspective, does this scenario affect your side in regards to pay?

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
Techs get paid on the hours the job is rated at generally, so where the parts come from doesn't really matter. Not sure that I understand the point of saving the money for all the time invested, and as mentioned, they aren't Volvo parts. I realize Volvo parts aren't magical, but if you make a mistake and get inferior products then you are out a pretty big expense if something happens.

The 10, 20, and 30k service are all included with a new vehicle purchase and do carry to the next owner as well, though they have to be used up in the first 3 years. Our current full prepaid maintenance out through 100k without wear protection is something like $2700. That does include the brake fluid at 40 and 80k and the spark plugs when due as well. It also includes a key being replaced once a year. So that isn't a per visit cost, but gives an idea of cost of ownership. That does not include tires or rotation though.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Techs get paid on the hours the job is rated at generally, so where the parts come from doesn't really matter. Not sure that I understand the point of saving the money for all the time invested, and as mentioned, they aren't Volvo parts. I realize Volvo parts aren't magical, but if you make a mistake and get inferior products then you are out a pretty big expense if something happens.

The 10, 20, and 30k service are all included with a new vehicle purchase and do carry to the next owner as well, though they have to be used up in the first 3 years. Our current full prepaid maintenance out through 100k without wear protection is something like $2700. That does include the brake fluid at 40 and 80k and the spark plugs when due as well. It also includes a key being replaced once a year. So that isn't a per visit cost, but gives an idea of cost of ownership. That does not include tires or rotation though.
I'd be okay saving $400-$500 in parts for this relatively simple job. It's been discussed at nauseum that Zimmermann or Akebono brakes can be higher quality, and last longer, than Volvo brakes. Especially SPA brakes.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts

It is more helpful for peace of mind to spend the money on extended warranty.
Keeping on topic. Some people prefer Volvo is the only entity working on their vehicles. Others, like myself, do not do our own maintenance. So OP's question pertained to value of getting a PrePaid Maintenance Plan.

DIY and Indie shops will always be cheaper. So please don't hijack OP's thread.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts