SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else here a member? I just joined after another officer in my unit told me about it and figured I'd check to see if anyone on here was a member.

If so does anyone have any tips? I'm thinking about trying to get in on an event next month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
889 Posts
Is anyone else here a member? I just joined after another officer in my unit told me about it and figured I'd check to see if anyone on here was a member.

If so does anyone have any tips? I'm thinking about trying to get in on an event next month.

Been a Member for 16 years. Done nearly every form of Motorsports SCCA offers. Autocross, Rallycross, club racing. I competitively ran my S60 in G-Street last year and finished on the podium (3rd place) at the national Championship.

What I can tell you, the car understeers. Understeers A LOT, it is transitionally loose and you have to be careful because even in DSTC sport if you swing it into a transition to hard the Nannies will grab you and that destroys a lap time. I found that everything to get better lap times required setting the car up to oversteer but with your eye on the fact that to much oversteer will cause the computers to grab the brakes and ruin your lap time. I ended up running a 275/35 18 front tire shaved, and a 245/40 18 rear tire shaved to match the front tires diameter (AWD isn't happy when tire diameters are different). I didn't trust the shaving accuracy enough to ever drive it to an event on those tires so I carried them in the car with Jack, and impact gun and torque wrench. I found it to be 1.0-1.2 seconds quicker with the larger front tire on a 60 second course vs the 245 tire. The hot tire last year was the Dunlop DZII and that's what I ran. I tested against the Hankook RS3 and the heavy camberless car didn't particularly like the soft sidewalled Hankook. This year the Dunlop is an obsolete tire. Now you need Bridgestone RE71R's. or BFgoodrich Rival S's. I have not purchased a set of either for this year as I ran a Friends Subaru WRX all year. I ran an IPD rear bar with 1/16 inch tow out in the rear, Zero tow in the front and took all the bolts loose and pushed on things the best I could to get as much negative camber as possible. The Dunlops like 41psi HOT in the front and 54psi HOT in the rear to get the car into the corner well.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I am not due to my location.

I would like to get into autocross because costs are less (compared to track days), but the Milwaukee Region SCCA is one of the largest in the nation. That means you arrive at the autocross at 7AM, leave at 4PM and only get 6 minute or so long runs. I can't justify spending $30-$40 and wasting an entire day for 6 minutes of seat time.

Anyhow, Mrsideways' info is really interesting!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea I'm in Hawaii so I don't think it's too big out here but I'm not sure. I think they run in the parking lot of the Aloha Stadium so it's definitely not track quality. But yes a lot of good info Mr. Sideways! Thanks!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mr. Sideways.

How often are you burning through tires at these events? I only plan on doing the solos for now until I get more comfortable.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Mr. Sideways.

How often are you burning through tires at these events? I only plan on doing the solos for now until I get more comfortable.

Thats all i used it for was solo events. I have taken it on race tracks but thats not where an automatic belongs. I run other cars for track stuff.

Rear tires last forever. Fronts burn the outside edges pretty quick. I flipped the front tires (inside to out) every 3rd event. I never wore a set out because a new "faster" tire would come out before i wore out the old stuff. I could easily find buyers for "last months tires" pretty quick.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts