SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. As the title suggests, my radio will not eject a disc. It says EE when I press CD and makes no sounds of trying to play or eject. How does one get the disc out?

I have searched around but cannot find a post relating to it. I have hours of driving ahead of me and only my tablet to get information, which isn't as convenient as I had hoped .

I appreciate any help.

·
Registered
63,541 Posts

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
Stop being an ass all your life
In their repair forums someone showed a way to get a CD out of an 816

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Lol, says the man who linked him to......wait for it......another volvo site. Not the link to HOW to get it out.

Your response was the equivelant of telling him to go google it. Yet *I'm* being an ass? Bahahahhaa.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Interesting. So, I just went through their repair forums and found ZERO threads about ejecting the cd from an 816.

I did find http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12021 which might be of help to the OP. But, again, it doesn't say anything about ejecting a stuck cd.

Sooooo, how were you being helpful again?

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the replies- all are welcomed. So far, I haven't been able to find a post that matches my symptoms and/or details how to get the disc out. Searching from a tablet is no doubt less efficient than from a full fledged computer. I took the front panel off but the CD will no budge due to two black pins that block its exit. The CD appears to be down in the read position. One post claimed an emergency eject button on the 816, but I can't find anything that looks like that. I have been planning on updating the audio system but never have the time. I'm happy to ditch the 816 but my Second Toughest in the Infants (can any fans guess the band?) CD is being held hostage.

Ironically, I have an new 901 with me but not the code. I also seem to recall that those won't work without the amp that accompanied it from the factory. Is that correct?

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
Correct
You need the amp and harness of which I have both.
Unfortunately they will be sold with the 901 which I also have.
(I can always get you a radio code).

Anyhow somewhere in Matthews was a post on how to get a CD out of an 816
Brian (BEJinFbk) may see this, and tell you how.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Hi There - I'm a 901 owner, but I may have a few ideas for you.
Jim is right about MVS being a great repair resource - I found this:

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12021

The steps described at this link will walk you through popping the top
and removing the CD transport section of the HU. Once you have it loose,
you should be able to manually cycle the loading and eject mechanism
and recover your disc. This can usually be accomplished by carefully
manipulating the solenoids and turning the gear trains involved.

I haven't worked on that particular transport, but with a little bit of patience,
good lighting and decent eyesight, you should be able to bend it to your will !
( Don't actually bend it... Just an expression. ;) )

As for the 901 - I think you'll like it!
It does need an outboard amp, but with the right adapter cables,
you can use pretty much any 4 channel amp out there and keep
a stock Volvo look with, IMHO, a MUCH better sounding HU.

Here are a couple of links to help with that:

First, the legendary ( And SwedeSpeed based! ) Jim Rothe Thread:
http://www.jimrothe.com/volvo/volvo-dynaudio.html

And my lamer attempt to explain some of Volvo's thinking:
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30204

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought so. Well, so much for plugging in the 901 tonight. The good news is that while I was digging around Matthew's, I plugged the 816 back in and its working properly (at least for now).

Thank you for the links, BEJ. Very very helpful. I've had the 901 for several years but never put the time into finding the missing components. I do have the Dolby processor and I know an audio shop near Boston that supplies Dynaudio speakers. I called Volvo a few years ago and the item number for the Dynaudio speakers turned up nothing, which doesn't surprise me. While I'm here I might as well ask. In my S70, I installed a Blitzsafe iPod connection to the 816 and its vastly simpler than iDrive or anything else I've used. Does the CD-6 button on the 901 allow a similar setup?

JRL, thank you for offering to find the code. When you have a free moment and want to spend it looking up a code, here are the numbers on the 901. There are many strings of numbers all over it but the one closest to where it says Serial No. is: 020051 and above it is a much longer one: 35338964969 and in larger print: 9912.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
AFAIK, the Dynaudio package was a propriety set designed specifically for Volvo.
Generally, regular marketing channels can't get products produced under an OEM
contract like that. Whole different room full of attorneys. The other bad news is
that word on the street is that Volvo hasn't got any more available...Bummer.

But the Good news is that the regular speakers are still pretty damn good.
Once you get a better HU in there, you'll be able to make a better call on them.

The other good news is that all the SC units use the same Alpine built CD changer,
so your Blizsafe will plug right in and rock right out! So - Happy Motoring! :)

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
JRL, thank you for offering to find the code. When you have a free moment and want to spend it looking up a code, here are the numbers on the 901. There are many strings of numbers all over it but the one closest to where it says Serial No. is: 020051 and above it is a much longer one: 35338964969 and in larger print: 9912.
That is not the serial number
The SN is a 16-17 digit (letters and numbers) stamped somewhere in the metal
You need to take some clear pictures of ALL the numbers on ALL sides and email them to me
(in sig below)

(I bought the last complete Dynaudio speaker package in the USA about 2-3 years ago for Gen 1s.
List is nearly $1400, I paid $775 for it, a virtual bargain for 11 speakers).
You can install a very good set of aftermarket speakers and it should sound the same or better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts